Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 03-09-2021, 08:28 PM

Default Dominator ECU mounting location

This is a question for those of you running a Holley Dominator ECU. I am getting around to wiring up the wife's 68 Camaro and I'm looking to get some ideas on where most of you guys have mounted the ECU. I was planning on the space behind the glove box but have come to realize that real estate gets eat up pretty good by the Gen IV Vintage Air evaporator and the duct hoses. I really don't want it under the hood as I'm going for a "clean" look under the hood. You wont see the MSD box or MSD coil under there. I am testing the thought of bringing the wiring in along the lower portion of the firewall where most people place the AC/Heater hoses in the vertical position and put it just below that bulkhead.

Would anyone care to share where they have had success placing this ECU. All comments welcomed

Thanks
BB
Old 03-09-2021, 09:00 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Mine is above the glovebox. Built a small glovebox with mounting points on top.

2018 GMC Denali HD
The Following User Says Thank You to will69camaro For This Useful Post:
WILWAXU (03-09-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 07:07 AM

Thanks Will,
I think 69's have a little more room or maybe just easier access behind their metal dash.
BB
Old 03-10-2021, 10:02 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bowtie View Post
Thanks Will,
I think 69's have a little more room or maybe just easier access behind their metal dash.
BB
You don't want to bury the ECU because you will want access to the wiring and also to feed the USB cable for tuning.

Under the passenger seat is another options. Also make sure that the ECU case is not grounded to the chassis.

If I can be of service with the tuning, please let me know.

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel
Old 03-10-2021, 10:14 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
You don't want to bury the ECU because you will want access to the wiring and also to feed the USB cable for tuning.

Under the passenger seat is another options. Also make sure that the ECU case is not grounded to the chassis.

Andrew
Absolutely agree with this and access being key. I have the USB accessible through my glove box, but adding wires is a PAIN. I cant say i've had to do it lot, but access is one major reason I haven't added traction control (front wheel speed) or oil temp to the Dominator yet. I have a list of things to add when I get back to it.

100% vouch for Andrew's tuning. My car went from being no fun to drive around town, to new car street manners.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 03-10-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post

Andrew
Andrew if I run into anything (which likely I will... lol) I will hit you up. Wish under the seat was an option as well but I'm have some Z06 seats that I have modified to bolt up to the factory bolt pattern and they sit low to the seat brace.
I know its important to access things like this and was going to fabricate a compartment at the toe well like the c6 vette has but I know this is an area that gets hot from the headers being close to that location.
I'm hoping that after staring at it long enough it will all click on where to put it lol.

BB
Old 03-10-2021, 02:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bowtie View Post
Andrew if I run into anything (which likely I will... lol) I will hit you up. Wish under the seat was an option as well but I'm have some Z06 seats that I have modified to bolt up to the factory bolt pattern and they sit low to the seat brace.
I know its important to access things like this and was going to fabricate a compartment at the toe well like the c6 vette has but I know this is an area that gets hot from the headers being close to that location.
I'm hoping that after staring at it long enough it will all click on where to put it lol.

BB
BB,

The ECU has a big foot print, but it is thin. If you are planning a center console, somewhere inside its structure might be an option.

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel
Old 03-10-2021, 09:13 PM

Andrew,
I'm using the 2014 Camaro console which is somewhat narrow, but it does stop right at the bottom of the dash. Maybe I could persuade it to live on top of the tunnel if the lower ac ducts from the V/A don't get in the way. I could always fab a removeable side panel for access. I'll keep trying
BB

Last edited by Bad Bowtie; 03-10-2021 at 11:39 PM.