Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-27-2019, 02:09 PM

Are you certain your not 180* out on timing?
Old 08-28-2019, 08:23 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Lance- I watched that video in your build thread- jealous. I may end up with EFI in the future, but want to at least build a working knowledge of carbs just for my own weird curiosity.

Mike- I'm 99% certain it's not 180 out. Just to be sure, last week I removed the distributor and plug wires, reset the engine to TDC, reinstalled the dist and wires.

Daniel
Old 08-28-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Lance- I watched that video in your build thread- jealous. I may end up with EFI in the future, but want to at least build a working knowledge of carbs just for my own weird curiosity.

Mike- I'm 99% certain it's not 180 out. Just to be sure, last week I removed the distributor and plug wires, reset the engine to TDC, reinstalled the dist and wires.

Daniel
You can have TDC on intake stroke and exhaust stroke. Have you tried to run it without the MSD box? I have had more trouble with those than they are worth.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Mike- That's right, and I made that mistake initially when trying to get the engine started for the very first time. But, it wouldn't start at all like that and backfired pretty good through the carb before I fixed it.

I've only used the MSD box. I sent the box and coil back to MSD for them to test to eliminate that as a possible issue and they both tested fine.

Daniel
Old 08-28-2019, 02:51 PM

Something else I discovered after the EFI swap was a low voltage issue. With the carb setup, at times the car would idle very rough...usually when hot out, both cooling fans running and the AC on. I always blamed the carb...

Come to find out, it did the same thing only with worse consequences once EFI was added. I'm convinced now that when the volts would drop below 12.0, the MSD wouldn't fire the plugs hot enough to fire every stroke in every hole.

Just something else to consider if you haven't already.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:27 AM

Default Wideband works great

I got the O2 sensor installed just downstream of the header collector. Connected the gauge, and within a few minutes I had the carb idling best yet, 11hg of vacuum, and 13.75ish AFR. I took the car for the first drive out of the neighborhood and put about 10 miles on it. Woohoo

I also had to raise the primary fuel bowl level a hair and lower the secondary fuel bowl level a good bit. (The car/carb was level when adjusting)

I still have the occasional exhaust pop/backfire and some engine run on when shutting down.

I'll take some AFR readings while driving soon.

The wideband makes a huge difference in tuning ability.

Daniel
Old 09-10-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
I still have the occasional exhaust pop/backfire and some engine run on when shutting down.

Daniel
If your timing is off that can cause it. So can high idle, running hot, to lean or rich.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Camaroaj- Thanks for the input. I'm going to play with the timing some more. Currently the engine temp is steady at 190* and the AFR seems to be in an acceptable range at idle. I may still have adjustments to make at cruise and WOT.

I haven't worked much on the car recently due to other obligations. I'm dropping the car off at the painter today so he can fix an issue around the trunk water channel, take care of a few pieces of trash that got in the clear and cut/buff it. Next week I plan to have it aligned and get the AC charged.

The exhaust is currently just 2.5" pipe from the header collectors to 13" chinese Flowmaster knockoff mufflers on each side with turndowns in front of the axle. I'm going to install an X-pipe and some 14" Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers to help reduce the noise level. It's currently a bit much for street duty.

Daniel
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2019, 01:31 PM

Default Still "finishing"

I made it out to the local Cars and Coffee a few weeks ago. It was nice to get the car out of my driveway for a while.

This past Saturday was a washout so I decided to tackle the exhaust redo. I got the X pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers installed. Overall, it went smoother than expected considering I'd never done one before.

I'm still working on the engine/carb tune. My A/F ratio gauge reads 14.5ish at idle, but it still smells very rich, the spark plugs are dark, and I get intermittent exhaust "popping." I may break down and try to find a carb "expert" soon. We'll see.

Daniel
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to DWC For This Useful Post:
Roscoe03 (10-22-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Looks good! Glad you got the car out for some fun.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/