User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD Art View Post
Thanks Marty!

We've had a problem with the heads and after doing lots and lots of internet research and talking to different engine builders and circle track racers that often use these heads still no answers. What a headache it's been dealing with a problem no one has ever dealt with before. We even sent them back to the engine builder we bought them from. After inspecting them he was convinced our Comp rocker arms were defective, despite them working fine on other heads we have, and he sent the heads back saying use a different rocker. I finally had a great conversation with Judson Massingill, the director of the Texas based School of Automotive Machinists and engine masters top 5 competitor. He confirmed what I had thought, the rocker stud mounts are machined in the wrong location- closer to the valve than they should be, making it impossible to get decent rocker arm geometry. Since the distributor we got them from wouldn't warranty them our only option was take them to a local machine shop and have the stud bosses machined shorter and we'll have to run a pretty short push rod so to get the rocker tips to line up on the middle of the valve tip. Although the geometry is off Judson and our local machinist assured us for what the engine will be used for and the cam and rpm range it'll see there wouldn't be any issues with doing this.
From past experience I have learned to give on parts like that and buy parts that everyone is familiar with. Trust me it cost me Thousands and Thousands of dollars on my old truck. Lesson learned thus the reason I did an LS1 this go round.

Quote:
Roman's getting close with the rest of the truck's repairs and upgrades and we're anticipating getting the heads back from the machine shop this week so we're hoping by the end of the month it'll be back on the road. More coming soon...
I can't wait to see more updates as I plan to build another s10 in the future.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM

For those that may be interested in meeting Roman and the truck he's got a Youtube channel with some build videos. He's got another long awaited update video that should be uploaded soon. Click Here to check them out. Be sure to subscribe to follow along.

My SRD Renderings Instagram page

My SRD Renderings Facebook Page

Pumkinator '79 Cutlass Wagon Build
Old 09-09-2019, 12:01 PM

We mostly went with Engine Quest because they're widely used in circle track as a legal stock type classes iron head that flows better than a Vortec, and the price is way better than most aftermarket heads. Many racers have good luck with them. Not sure how ours got so whacked out, if it was from the factory or the engine builder that sold them to us but either way it looks like they'll work out. With the retro roller cam we have it should be a solid 425-450 hp and about 480 ft lbs, pretty typical for this complete set up. Agreed with the LS swap, Roman has a 6.0L LS for his Cutlass wagon's future rebuild.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks Scot, he's getting pretty close to having it running now, hopefully by the end of the month. We ordered a set of Moog 5662 Coil springs from Summit, listed on Moog's website as 748 lb. spring rate. He cut off 1.5 coils which is what the average that most S10 guys were doing. That theoretically will increase rate even more but we just say 700 lb. to keep it simple. Right now the truck is maybe 1/2-1" higher than what we're after but we need to drive it a bit to let things settle and then we'll asses how we like the ride height again.

BTW these same springs work in a G-Body, I have them in one of our cars with 3/4 coil cut off to yield about 2 1/2" drop.
This is why I enquired. I swapped a set of Hotchkis 1"drop 600# springs into a g-body recently & it's chewing up the inners (<2k miles). Previous builds I did used a 650# spring but I couldn't find the mfr for this one. The similar g-body set-up using the 650# springs (& similar gas charged/mono-tube shocks) didn't have the buzzing so I need to increase the front spring rate slightly.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 PM

Digging this bad boy back up.

Any chance this truck is still being worked on.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 03-24-2020, 07:38 PM

Thanks for asking! Yes, it's on the road. It's in the break in period and we're working out the bugs right now. Once we get it past this stage we'll take it out for some more photos and video. I've been with Roman on some part throttle pulls and it'll plant you in the seat. We're both looking forward to the 500 mile mark.

The Following User Says Thank You to SRD Art For This Useful Post:
Roscoe03 (03-25-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 07:58 PM

I am so happy to see it on the road. I miss my s15's and one I will have one again.

Please post more pics when you out and about.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 PM

We will for sure. I've been so busy with work I didn't photo document this build much. He's been videoing it for his Youtube channel though. He's a bit behind on editing/posting but he's working on it now that he's got it running. You can keep up with what he's going on by clicking HERE.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:01 AM

It's looking great Ben !

Dum Spiro Spero - "While I Breathe, I Hope."

"One Test is Worth 1,000 Expert Opinions"
The Riehle Axiom
Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM

Thanks Shawn!

Roman's got the next installment of the Quicksand build up on Youtube, "painting the frame". Check it out at the link below! Please like, subscribe and support the vendors by watching the ads, that stuff helps Roman fund his sweet project and keeps the younger generation playing with old cars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDFtx_XLdnE