Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-06-2019, 10:50 PM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

The corvette carbon rotors will last you forever.i remember being told GM testing went thru 20 sets of pads before changing rotors. The problem I had with Jackass on the track was under hard braking the rotor gets hot and the grip quadrupled and locked up. I slid thru the grass. Stielow was smart enough to modulate the pedal. Street driving was fine. Hard to explain but your foot is slowing you down but instantly it is like you slammed on them as the grip quadrupled. Not something you want to have to deal with.
The Following User Says Thank You to clill For This Useful Post:
WILWAXU (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 11:50 AM

I have CCBs on my ACR and my C6 Z06/Z07, and I never have trouble with either one. I track the ACR hard and street drive the Corvette. The Corvette's brakes will probably outlast me. You have to do a proper brake burnishing - period. I use the Dodge process rather than GM's because I don't like the idea of coming to a full stop (50 times) with your foot on the brake (and pads against the rotor). Dodge uses a higher speed, less repetitions, and slowing to 20 mph vice a full stop. The rotors do fine unless you wear the pads too far or overheat and damage them with a bad burnishing process - then the pad roughs up the rotor and the wear starts and accelerates from there. As far as track performance goes, the CCBs are superb - never fade and are consistent as hell. The reduced unsprung weight is a nice side benefit. With that said, I am swapping the StopTechs (never used) out on my dedicated track car project for big AP Racing brakes. For pure track use their performance appears to be unmatched.

Pappy
Old 09-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
The corvette carbon rotors will last you forever.i remember being told GM testing went thru 20 sets of pads before changing rotors. The problem I had with Jackass on the track was under hard braking the rotor gets hot and the grip quadrupled and locked up. I slid thru the grass. Stielow was smart enough to modulate the pedal. Street driving was fine. Hard to explain but your foot is slowing you down but instantly it is like you slammed on them as the grip quadrupled. Not something you want to have to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfain View Post
I have CCBs on my ACR and my C6 Z06/Z07, and I never have trouble with either one. I track the ACR hard and street drive the Corvette. The Corvette's brakes will probably outlast me. You have to do a proper brake burnishing - period. I use the Dodge process rather than GM's because I don't like the idea of coming to a full stop (50 times) with your foot on the brake (and pads against the rotor). Dodge uses a higher speed, less repetitions, and slowing to 20 mph vice a full stop. The rotors do fine unless you wear the pads too far or overheat and damage them with a bad burnishing process - then the pad roughs up the rotor and the wear starts and accelerates from there. As far as track performance goes, the CCBs are superb - never fade and are consistent as hell. The reduced unsprung weight is a nice side benefit. With that said, I am swapping the StopTechs (never used) out on my dedicated track car project for big AP Racing brakes. For pure track use their performance appears to be unmatched.

Pappy
I'm happy that I got them then. Brake cooling has been part of my build plan so I should be ok with the heat part of it. I'm going to be running a stand along C5 Z06 system so hopefully that system will be ok with it. I don't see why it wouldn't though.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:23 PM

I have the carbon ceramic ZR1 brakes on my 70 Camaro project , however I’m using the bear remaster master cylinder and a Hydro boost set up , the car is not done yet but I hope I will be OK , anybody have any input on that set up
Old 11-03-2019, 07:38 PM

Anyone