Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-21-2021, 12:25 AM

Default Choosing an RV for race duty

Plan is tow the car trailer, camp at the track. Also must be dual use (meaning, my wife will camp in it too).

What don't I know?
Old 11-26-2021, 06:04 PM

My son races motocross and we went thru the whole gambit. Truck, Truck and Trailer, Rv and Trailer and the current set up, a Ford Transit. While I realize this is impossible for racing cars, I did own an RV...

My experience with the RV was this: HUGE PITA. It was so cheaply made that I constantly worked on the thing.( wiring, plumbing, heaters etc) Unless you have hook ups, the water storage and sewage tanks were a huge pain in the butt. Was it fun staying at the track? Yeah, for sure. But....Once we sold the RV and bought the Transit, I never looked back. No more getting to the track early to hunt for the most level spot or making sure I could pull thru. This might not be an issue at a car racing track, but it was a huge concern at a moto track. In the end, I loved leaving the track and driving to the hotel, taking a LONG hot shower, nice beds, etc. But these are my experience and its motocross. I bought mine used (a THOR with a Ford V10) and sold it right, cost me about a grand to own the thing for 4 years....I was in at $42K and out at $41k. The only way i would do the RV thing is if I bought the type that are built on a SEMI chassis and those are big bucks.

We were serious about racing. I put 26,000 miles on the transit from Jan 26th of this year until the nationals, the first week of August!

One positive, driving and being able to use the bathroom without stopping....That was nice.

Ill answer any questions you have.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluid Power View Post
One positive, driving and being able to use the bathroom without stopping....That was nice.

You got some explaining to do on that one, that really doesn't sound safe to me.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode1 View Post
You got some explaining to do on that one, that really doesn't sound safe to me.
I'm sure he just set the cruise control and it was fine....
Old 11-28-2021, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluid Power View Post
My son races motocross and we went thru the whole gambit. Truck, Truck and Trailer, Rv and Trailer and the current set up, a Ford Transit. While I realize this is impossible for racing cars, I did own an RV...

My experience with the RV was this: HUGE PITA. It was so cheaply made that I constantly worked on the thing.( wiring, plumbing, heaters etc) Unless you have hook ups, the water storage and sewage tanks were a huge pain in the butt. Was it fun staying at the track? Yeah, for sure. But....Once we sold the RV and bought the Transit, I never looked back. No more getting to the track early to hunt for the most level spot or making sure I could pull thru. This might not be an issue at a car racing track, but it was a huge concern at a moto track. In the end, I loved leaving the track and driving to the hotel, taking a LONG hot shower, nice beds, etc. But these are my experience and its motocross. I bought mine used (a THOR with a Ford V10) and sold it right, cost me about a grand to own the thing for 4 years....I was in at $42K and out at $41k. The only way i would do the RV thing is if I bought the type that are built on a SEMI chassis and those are big bucks.

We were serious about racing. I put 26,000 miles on the transit from Jan 26th of this year until the nationals, the first week of August!

the first question I can think of is - how does it tow? I live in the PNW so it's mountains in pretty much every direction... pulling 7k of trailer, tools and car seems like I'm asking a lot of something that's meant for towing, at best, a small car....
Old 11-29-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode1 View Post
I meant for the family.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
the first question I can think of is - how does it tow? I live in the PNW so it's mountains in pretty much every direction... pulling 7k of trailer, tools and car seems like I'm asking a lot of something that's meant for towing, at best, a small car....
It towed a 6x12 single axle motorcycle trailer easily. I would have 3 bikes, a tool box and usually 10 gallons of fuel, a power washer, 25 gallons of water, a generator and an EZ-UP. Driving 70-75 the big Ford V10 would drink gas, to the tune of 8-9 mpg.....