Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Default LT4 Powered Bolt on brawler 69 camaro

i am stating this thread to help out alot of people thinking about doing a pro touring build. My car has gone thru alot of iterations and i am not at the limit of what the stock sub frame and suspension can provide. looking from here i wanted to do a build with as little to no fabrication work. the following build thread will focus on parts and why i chose them for this build. i will also explain if there are other options other then what i chose and why i chose what i did. in the end this you should see it take to have an awesome come with little to no fab work.
the starting car- currently the car is a 69 camaro with very nicely done paint and body work. its color is Sunburst orange. it is a hot 350 bored 40 over. with a 6 speed LT1 t56 converted to LS. it has an adapter kit to run modern CTS V 6 piston brembos up front with 4 pistons in the rear. it has a GM 12 bolt with a eaton posi and 3.73 gears. the suspesion is a Hotchkis Lowering springs front and rear, with the hotchkis tuned bilstiens. i am running 255 tires up from and 275 tires in the back. currently the handles great i just want more out of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by rideordie28; 06-13-2019 at 10:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rideordie28 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (03-30-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Default current state

where the car is now- right now i have removed the front end of the car, the rear end is also out. only think left on the body is the front subframe and the old engine. those are soon to come out. i am currently waiting on the new motor to be built and shipped to me.

I do want to say that there was some fab work done to the car to kick of this build. i has Raleigh speed install the DSE 4 point cage and DSE mini tubs. this is not required for a at home build but it was where i wanted to take the car.
Attached Images

cabudge09 (03-30-2021)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 AM

Default engine specs

Ok so this engine is a hodgepodge of parts i found and am using. I want to Thank Mark Stielow the help and parts for the motor. I Also want to thank my engine Builder MJD performance in Novi for building this monster. if you are looking for anything in the ls or LT space to be built or tuned MJD is the place to go.

the motor is an LT Block with stock LT4 internals. i bought a new set of heads and immediately sent them over to KATECH for the CNC port job and ordered their VVT and AFM delete covers. i am running a BTR stage 2 cam with BTR valve spring kit and rocker arm trunnion bearing kit. on top of that i am running a ATI balancer with a 9% over drive pulley on the bottom and a 6% pulley on the supercharger. the pistons are coated from line to line coating and all the lower end bolts were converted to ARP studs and bolts and the block and rods were line honed and balanced. the interesting part of the motor is when done it will be running as a Wet sump system that can be converted over to dry. how i did this was using a dry sump crank with a ls key way machined into it so allow it to use the wet sump oil pump. this allowed me to run the holley lt oil pan with the trap door system. using this oil pan will allow me to run a thermostat on the engine block for the oil to be sent thru an air to oil cooler up front. i also had to covert the Corvette blower to wet sump belt system and that was done using a conversion pulley from LSA conversions/ ADM performance.

early estimates on the motor put it at about 750-800hp at the crank spinning to 7250 RPMs
Attached Images

syborg tt (03-30-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:01 PM

Default tear down

ok now that i have the front clip off and the rear suspension out i can get to work removing the motor and getting the front subframe out.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rideordie28 For This Useful Post:
cabudge09 (03-30-2021), syborg tt (03-30-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:27 PM

Default rear suspension

So going through all the options for a rear suspension in the car there are 3 kinds to look into. 1 DSE parallel 4 link with a pan hard bar 2. torque arm from speed tech. 3. triangulated 4 link ride tech. looking in to each on of these solutions each had their ups and downs. the DSE rear is prob the best sorted but it includes alot of fab work with installing the new link pockets and the pan hard support bar. with this being a bolt on brawler this was way too much fab work for my garage. the speed tech toque are is a very nice set up. it is well sorted and is great for racing and handling. but you miss alot of anti squat characteristics with that system. there is also a bit of fab work to install the cross bar for the upper shock mounts.

this left me with the ride tech kit. this kit has been used on alot of pro touring builds, from the 24 hr camaro to other elite builds. the more i researched the system the better a triangulated the more i liked about it. its a great system for short travel systems. there can be bind issues. but ride tech has a new r link end that has a delrin bushing built in. this gives the system some compliance over a stock heim joint. this gives it a bit more flex and give in binding scenarios. the other thing that i liked about the rear was it was a bolt in application. you can bolt it in the car and be done. no welding or fab work needed. i bought the link only system because i wanted the shocks to match the front sub. i have ordered JRI single adjustable shocks for the rear to match the front once i get it.

after getting the new suspension in i found a couple of things i didnt like about it but had quick and simple fixes for them. the cage was not a direct bolt in. there was some messaging of the body to make it fit correctly. and once i had that done there still were some issues with pulling the end tabs to the fram rail flush. the body was in a way that it was putting way to much stress on the 3/8 16 self tapping bolts. the medal on the under side of the rails was just to thin for that much torque. so my solution was quick and cheap. 60 bucks for a xl astro tool riv nut tool and 20 for some nice stainless 3/8 16 riv nuts. after drilling the holes for the standard bolt as the directions said, i then opened the holes up to a 1/2 in hole and installed the riv nuts. i only did this on the downward facing bolts. this gave the frame extra metal to grab on to and a better torque capability. then running up the bolts into the new rive nuts i was able to get the cage to fully seat to the frame and once it was i used the standard ride tech method for the horizontal bolts. now that the cage is fully seated the cross bolts help hold it up is there is any pull on system. pictures below.
Attached Images

Last edited by rideordie28; 01-14-2019 at 01:47 PM.
syborg tt (03-30-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs up

LT parts look awesome! Good luck with the (re)build
Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 PM

here are some more pictures on the final attachment
Attached Images

69 pro touring camaro - Agent orange
2019 Z06 corvette

Last edited by rideordie28; 01-16-2019 at 04:34 PM.
syborg tt (03-30-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:33 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks cool man. Since you have those mini Tubs in there stuff some meat under the back!
https://lateral-g.net/members/williams69/
Old 01-21-2019, 02:42 PM

Great idea on the riv nuts. I went through the same emotions getting the cage to fit securely and square against the frame rails. I ended up welding mine. Looks great what you did!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick2964 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (03-30-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:56 PM

Welcome. Nice starting point. Looking forward to following your build.

Last edited by 64G-lark; 01-27-2019 at 03:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64G-lark For This Useful Post:
KAN KAN Speedshop (02-12-2019)