Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Anyone Snowmobile? Need advice.

Thinking of picking up a used sled for my folks cabin in Idaho. My dad has a RMK700 or 800 and I like it but would like something that is a little more comfortable and hopefully still as quick. Most riding is groomed with some stretches of high bumps(2-3ft) so I need something that can soak those bumps/jumps up and that has reverse. I don't think a 500-650cc sled will fit the bill for me speed wise. I'll only be riding about 2 weeks per year.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I am looking to buy one myself. Only one word to say: Ski-Doo REV platform with an 800cc and unless you do hillclimbing you wont need the long track. But they are by far the best sleds to ride. Let me know what you decide!
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybar
I am looking to buy one myself. Only one word to say: Ski-Doo REV platform with an 800cc and unless you do hillclimbing you wont need the long track. But they are by far the best sleds to ride. Let me know what you decide!
I'll agree with that, except he won't be doing much mountain riding so might better to get a track type set up like a MXZ. Also the new REV is having some issue's mostly in the clutch.
Arctic Cat makes a great sled these days as well. I've had both in the last year and I like the Arctic a bit better. That says alot since I've been a Skidoo guy for ten+ years. (thats like a Chevy guy getting a mustang!)

If your looking for a groomed trail rider and it won't ever see deep pow mountain riding look more into the MXZ from Skidoo or Crossfire from Arctic cat. Get the newest you can afford, massive changes for the better on all sleds over the last few years (suspension, handling, weight, power)

Same as anything you get what you pay for...
65 Impala SS
65 Corvair convert
64 Corvair Rampside
62 Corvair Greenbrier

http://www.sourceboards.com/
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Bring on the snow.

Where about in Idaho is your parents cabin? I've ridden in the Island Park area. I've also ridden the Snowy Range and Togwotee Pass area in Wyoming. There's nothing better than mountain riding!

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ
Bring on the snow. There's nothing better than mountain riding!
I went to Colorado last year and rode with some friends (first time for me) wow it was fun, but do not get stuck if your coming from sea level and out of shape @ 10,000 Ft!

We also rode way back into this valley that was un touched by anyone else, wide open with deep powder what a blast just hit the throttle and go! it was perfect!

I was using a new Artic Cat, nice machine!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ
Bring on the snow.

Where about in Idaho is your parents cabin? I've ridden in the Island Park area. I've also ridden the Snowy Range and Togwotee Pass area in Wyoming. There's nothing better than mountain riding!
It is in Priest Lake....400 miles of groomed trails literally out the back door. I love it out there summer and winter.

Thanks for the advice so far. There may be some deep snow/mountain riding in the future as my skills improve but it would be a small amount of the total. Sidehilling is still a bit of an a$$ puckering experience for me. We usually ride for a few hours at a stretch and if the groomer hasn't been it can be a real bumpy ride, especially at the speeds my dad likes to ride at....he's 70 years old and still likes to hotdog! Here are some pics from riding last december up there.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:39 PM

I've ridden quite a few different machines and would only consider a Cat or Ski-doo. In that order. Good luck, have fun! Let it snow!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:54 PM

I have owned several different brands of sleds over the years and the new REV chassis by Ski Doo has turned the snomobiling world on its ear. The rider forward design is comfortable and makes average riders look like pro's.
I rented a REV 600 4 years ago in West Yellowstone and the first thing I did when I got home was to trade in my Polaris on a new REV. My 600 HO Adrenalin is as fast out of the hole as any stock 700 or 800 I have ran against and it tops out at around 105 mph.(there is an 800 model available)
The Polaris RMK's are long track sleds that are designed for climbing and it sucks on the trails.Been there done that.
The Rev is available in the Adrenaline or the Renegade package.
The renagade is a slightly longer track and is a pretty good set up if you like to get off the trail for a little powder play time...
Good luck and have fun
Scott
G Force Design Concepts #004
Pro Touring 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback
FRPP 347c.i./450hp
SSBC 4WDB,Budnik M5's
G Force T5 etc..
FOR SALE
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steemin
I have owned several different brands of sleds over the years and the new REV chassis by Ski Doo has turned the snomobiling world on its ear.
I with Scott!

We have a 600 and 800 and they're both great machines!

I love speed, but don't under estimate the 600 either. It's not quite as fast as the 800, but it's quick and nimble on the trails. Sorta like racing a 750cc bike vs a 1000cc bike on track day. The 1000 is faster on the straights, but the 750 will win the race in the turns.

Have fun!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:33 PM

Well, I decided to buy a new Rev xp Mxz TNT(damn, could the name be any longer?). Seems like a great value. Thanks for the advice, I hope the new Rev platform is as good as I am hearing.