Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-11-2007, 10:37 PM

Default oh what to do???

I dont want to sound like a baby but just need to vent and need some advice......I have been battling with myself of what to do with my future career!! I am turning wrenches now for almost 20 yrs and getting really tired to waking up with aching hands ,knees and back.I have worked on tractor trailors down to motorcycles ,have all sorts of certifications to my name and never regreted any of it but my body is getting real sore.I just dont have the energy to get home,eat and put the kids to bed then go work in the garage from 9 till whenever. After working all day on others peoples cars I just dont have the interest in working on my dream car!! I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what type of field I should try next?? Does anyone else share my dilema?? Thanks for letting me vent
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 AM

How about being a service writer? I know a couple of guys that do it and make good money. I do know that staying in the same business is easier than a complete change.

And yes I feel your pain! I've been in construction for over 20 year and as I type this my back hurts! Couldn't help that I just built the crate for my motor tonight...no rest for the wicked around here!!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Teach!

See if there's a way you can become a training instructor.

You've paid your dues turning wrenches. Show some other guys how to do it. It's quieter, cleaner, and has much less stress. Sure- there's a lot of repetition in teaching the same courses over and over, but it's not much different than fixing the same problems on cars over and over.

The pay is probably very comparable to (if not higher) than what you're making now. There's always a need for good instructors.

~SP~
Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 PM

That's a good idea! He is a very likable guy...I think it would go well!!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch
Teach!

See if there's a way you can become a training instructor.

You've paid your dues turning wrenches. Show some other guys how to do it. It's quieter, cleaner, and has much less stress. Sure- there's a lot of repetition in teaching the same courses over and over, but it's not much different than fixing the same problems on cars over and over.

The pay is probably very comparable to (if not higher) than what you're making now. There's always a need for good instructors.

~SP~
Thats what I was going to say!
5.3L with a T56
Old 12-13-2007, 09:48 PM

I worked for 3 GM dealers as a tech in a span of 15 years and always wanted to try to work out front with the customers as a service writer.I eventually did get an oportunity at a Honda dealer and I loved it but it takes around 12 to 18 months for customers to recognize and trust you cause these cars these days go so long between services thats its hard to form a bond with someone you see every 6 months.During that break in period you make a really poor salary if you want to call it that!!! For that reason I quit and tried a GM store and also loved the interaction with customers and the gratification you get with a customer being happy after his or her problem is corrected......something I never got working on the bench cause the customers would always deal with the advisors naturally! Again I quit due to the cash flow and my wife being on mat leave with our first child so I went back to turning wrenches after 2 years of wearing a suit....it was pretty awesome coming home clean lol lol I really think I should try teaching so I will look into this in the new year and give it a go!! Anthony thanks for the kind words .....you have been a huge help over the past couple years.Also thanks to everyone else for their input.