Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 02-25-2008, 05:40 PM

Default Sanding question??

OK, first let me say that
"I am not, nor do I claim to know ANYTHING about body work"!

That out of the way sit back and get ready to chuckle at me!

My question is this....I have a 68 Camaro body /shell and its in some kind of primer. I was told to rub it with laquer thinner to see if it comes off...it does not. I want to take it to the bare metal all over before I attempt any body work. 1. How long can you leave a body in BARE metal in a climate controled area? 2. Then what grit paper on the primer, been using 80 in spots or should I use 120?

Then before I get ready to prime, what primer?
Should I scuff the bare metal and wipe it down with a thinner or something?

Thinking of using this ZERO RUST all over on the bare metal.

Please any advise would be a great help.
Thanks,
Mike

WHAT THA... IT COST HOW MUCH?????

Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 PM

I just did this to mu car took it all down to bare metal and sprayed it with dp90 black epoxy primer. i used 40 grit paper b/c my car had layers upon layers off old paint.. i work at a collision center and we use all RM products you get this at car quest but we mix everything in house...the name of the primer excapes me right now...but i can tell you dont try and use the new polyester slick sand primer they have out,,,turns to cement and is nearly impossible to sand....all i remember about the primer im using is that it says quick sand on the can....and it is just that it sands really easy.... get her all down to bare metal and epoxy prime it..then when you are ready to prime and start blocking just scuff up the epoxy with a D.A..nothing real heavy and spray over the DP90....here in southern louisiana i had to work a panel at a time a door a fender ect...if i left it bare overnite it would surface rust by the next morning and that is indoors and in the winter... use an orbital to sand it to metal cuts way better that a DA all a DA does is pulsate from side to side and orbital makes full rotations and really cuts a whole lot more..we use orbitals to snad to metal and cut filler..
1969 ss 350,hotchkis tvs, comp cams 268xe, world products heads, zz4 intake, 670 holley, msd setup eagle alloy 212's, autometer ultra lites......cusotm interior, 2 tone paint and front frame all in the works
Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 AM

Default Anyone use this ZERO RUST before?

I thank you for that info import.
I still wonder about this Zero Rust on bare metal, its supposed to be like POR15 from what I hear. I have used it befor on my truck.
Thanks, and looking forward to some sanding it looks like.

Mike

WHAT THA... IT COST HOW MUCH?????

Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 PM

yeah lots of sanding..i ended up just pullin my doors fenders inner fenders core supprt really every detachable peice of sheet metal and blasted them i didnt have that much time to be spending on sanding im trying to get this car done for may you may check you can find some good deals a buddy of mine had his 66 vette soda blasted by a guy that came to his house for 300 bucks he didnt even have to pull the interior and it turned out great... time is worth just as much as money to me hrs and hr of sandin vs a few hundres or so and be done ...
1969 ss 350,hotchkis tvs, comp cams 268xe, world products heads, zz4 intake, 670 holley, msd setup eagle alloy 212's, autometer ultra lites......cusotm interior, 2 tone paint and front frame all in the works