Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2007, 10:01 AM

WOW!! That chop sure puts a perspective on things! Looks great!

Jim? When ya gonna finish it? It's going to be AWESOME!!!

John
Old 08-11-2007, 04:00 PM

Hi John,

My goal is to have the all the fab work done by the end of the year so I can send it out for paint 1st qtr 08. I'm not getting much work done on it this summer - so I hope to spend a bunch of time in the garage this fall. Ordered a bunch more parts this week. Building the A-Arm mount brackets this week. That big pile of tubing is calling for some attention. I doubt I'll have it done by Columbus - but who knows.... end of summer 08 is a more reasonable time frame. You'll have racked up a bunch of miles before I ever hit the road - but I'll be coming !

Jim
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Parts

More parts arrived. Front 3 are interior lights. Center is the light under the dash pad. The other 2 go at the top of the B piller. They don't look like it - but they are 3 posn rocker switches, left is on, right is off and center uses the door pins. A nice part if anyone is looking for a simple square light in the kick panels, under dash or trunk.

The back 3 are exterior rear lights. 2 that go on the bumper facing up for the license plate light. The other is the backup light assy. That's it for all the interior and exterior lights except the headlight bulbs. Gotta run over to the Harley Davidson store and see if they can identify the bulbs in the orange 55 chevy at Columbus.

Also blasted and primered the bumper brackets - I needed to get something finished so it feels like I'm moving forward....
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2007, 01:44 PM

WOW I just read this entire thread and it is extremely inspirational, I gotto go work on something now.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Little Update - been awhile...

Parts coming back from the waterjet shop. Really amazing what those guys and their machines can do.

Rear upper frame/a-arm brackets and adjusters. 4130 plate cut for a dual 1.5 tube frame and M12 1 3/4 adjuster. Changing the adjusters from the lower arms (stock posn) - to the upper one's so I can remove the lower transaxle cage without worrying about an alignment. (doing it like Rodger/John's Nova and Johnson's G-Force Cuda) Still need to round all the edges and mill in the pocket for the adjuster. Will replace the adjusters with stainless ARP 12 points and stainless eccentric washers - should be purdy...
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2008, 08:41 PM

Default Starting Backbone

Well, it's been way to long guys....

Started fabbing up the center backbone portion of the chassis. Had to build up the front sections of the exhaust to get final measurements for the tunnel width. 2 exhaust tubes at 2.5 plus two chassis tubes of 1.5 plus some space on both sides. Some 2.5 straight pieces, four 45s, two 90s and two 2.5 header flanges. (All from Summit for $200)

I plan to wrap the entire exhaust and add some heat shielding in the tunnel.

Also bent up a chassis tube to see how it fit in. Front a-arm attachment tabs will hopefully come in this week from the waterjet guys. Been waiting a month - but the holidays slow everyone down I guess.

Jim
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Default Exhaust Fab Tool

Reading this months Super Rod (Feb pg 108) and they listed the little alignment tool they use to align and tack weld their exhaust work. I built one outta a scrap of 2.5 tube and it worked great.

Take a piece of tube about 2 inches long - drill four 1 in holes every 90 degrees - split one side - and tack on a couple hose clamps. Install and tack through the holes - made it so easy to hold the tube square while you zero a tack weld !
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Dog 65
Reading this months Super Rod (Feb pg 108) and they listed the little alignment tool they use to align and tack weld their exhaust work. I built one outta a scrap of 2.5 tube and it worked great.

Hello Jim!

We both subscribe same mag ! I love Super rod because it has best "how to do it " tech and detailed project features than any other magazine i know.

That exhaust trick was from Jeff Lilly restorations. I think they are one of the "best kept secrets" in wery high quality fab work.

Have you seen this :

http://www.jefflilly.com/Fabrication/new.html

Hundrets of really awsome tech tips !!!!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Wow, Thanks ! There is a bunch of info on their site and I haven't been there before. Thanks !!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 PM

i really like this project ... keep the pics coming