Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Hey Rodger,

I somehow missed the middle of that thread where you posted the chassis pics. I try to read all the posts each day - looking good as usual dude ! You guys make it look sooo easy. Now that I'm neck deep in it - it's certainly not that easy .... Have alot of appreciation for the metal shapers doing this work. Wish I has a plasma cause nibblers, saws-all, and wiz-wheels suck - but I'll get it done. Keep posting the z06 progress ! I'll be watching.

Jim
Old 01-02-2007, 11:01 PM

Tonights progress - Part 1,

Installed some bracing to hold up the rear end while I cut away the frame structure - found it FULL of sand from sand blasting that had migrated in through the bolt holes and drains. Finished cutting out the trunk and rear seat floor.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 PM

Progress Part 2,

Set the rear tires in. Set the ride height at F = 5.75 and R = 6.5. I think the rear should go up more - so I can set the pax window ledge level ? (I can lower the rocker panel down easily if needed) Here's everyone's chance to provide feedback.

Any critiques, comments, ideas or guidance from anyone is always appreciated - and I don't take it personal - so feel free to call it like you see it. Thanks !!
Attached Images

Last edited by Garage Dog 65; 01-02-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Cool. That's going to be one unique ride.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Are my pic posts too dark ? At home on my LCD monitor they look fine - here at work on a CRT monitor they are way dark. Let me know and I'll change the balance from here forward. Thx
Old 01-03-2007, 11:17 AM

They look fine to me. What a cool car this is gonna be! I've always had a thing for that era of Porsche. They just have a really slick and clean look, great proportions, no nonsense and I certainly can't fault your choice in driveline.

I don't think this car will look right with a lot of rake, every line on it slopes down towards the back. I'd keep the rocker parallel to the ground or slightly up in the back since the sloping bodylines create an optical illusion that the rear is sagging.

I never realized there's a bulge just below the trunk that squares the profile off in the back a little. Is there a functional reason for that...rear engine clearance? I dunno.

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM

I was hoping you'd jump in there Ben, I greatly appreciate your eye toward design, flow and sizes ! Thanks much for the responce.

The bulge is there from the alternator on the back of a flat 4 engine - it sticks way back from the engine. I thought about dropping the bumpers on the car last night before taking picture because the bumpers eliminate the bulge quite a bit from the line when installed. (Check page 1 of the thread for the effect with the bumper installed) I've seen these cars with the bumper removed and you're right - the bulge catches the eye down the back of the car - so I left them on but eliminated the 'bumperettes' (the chrome extensions). I felt the bumpers also added 'weight' to the bottom of the car line making it appear to be lower then it really is - or maybe that's just me.

Thanks again and feel free to provide any comments !

Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by Garage Dog 65; 01-03-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-03-2007, 07:17 PM

Looks cool!! I am a Porsche/VW fan too.I have a '66 Cal-Look Bug with nitrous I play with. http://vintagevw.net/images/Img27.gif
If anyone wants to see a cool Vee Dub/Porsche design tool try http://www.busselecta.com/

Last edited by GTX; 01-03-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:28 PM

Hey GTX, I enjoyed the Bug pics. I'm amazed at the engineering and efficiency in those cars - and the company history for Porsche and VW is awesome when you read about it. Thanks much !

Disappointed with my progress this weekend, Didn't get much done ... had to work Saturday. Installed 10 expanding cross braces. 1.5 (14 gage) square outer tube with a 1.25 (11 gage) inner tube. Outer tubes split in the middle - and welded to the chassis at both ends - and welded on either side of the middle split. Installed 4 inside the car (2 floor w 2 roof), 1 in the trunk, 2 in the front, 2 on the bottom at the axel centerlines.

Just some background on the car I thought might be fun to share. 2 owner vehicle and I have all the documentation right down to the oil changes and light bulb replacements - he even measured and recorded the brake pad wear when he replaced them. Attached the original invoice from 65. 2nd owner purchased the car in 1980 for $700 - and sent it in to a 356 shop in Florida for $8500 worth of metal replacement, sand blasting and primer. Shop labor rate was $22/hour - try that one in 2007 dollars ! (Looks pretty rough in the pics) Went into storage in 81 - until 2001 when I bought it.

This week I'll install the stabilizing bracing to tie the top/bottom and front/back of both sides so it won't twist when separated. Then I need to cut out the front suspension, cowl vent, front and rear lock receivers, and the wiper motor mount. Then I can FINALLY split it. Any ideas, guidance or comments you guys have, feel free to pass them along - never split a car before
Attached Images

Last edited by Garage Dog 65; 01-15-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Vent and Frnt Susp

Made a little progress tonight.

Welded in some more body supports. Removed the cowl vent and the front suspension supports. It's amazing how much sand was trapped inside all the core supports and bracing - and that they didn't power wash the front suspension before or after blasting it. the rest of the car is nice and clean - yet the front suspension box was pretty rusted.

Tomorrow I'll remove the center of the dash (in a inverted V cut from top to bottom so that I can remove the radio/ash tray/lighter section in one piece) the wiper motor support (spot welded), backup light surround, and finish adding the internal cross bracing. My kingdom for a plasma .....

Go COLTS!
Attached Images