Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-19-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
There is no such thing as a "power steering" filter. You would need to plumb in a generic hydraulic filter of some sort either inline or spin-on. Again, I think a filter in the power steering system would be a total waste of time. A PS fluid cooler is far more important.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Magnefi...ss!76233!US!-1

They also make a billet version with AN connections. I see more and more folks recommending these.

Don
Old 06-20-2019, 08:24 AM

I used a Trans Dapt single remote filter.And also ran a oil cooler as well. With AN fittings and braided lines. You could also use brass fittings and rubber lines as well. I have seen some of this type of set up on the Vintage racers.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Magnefi...ss!76233!US!-1

They also make a billet version with AN connections. I see more and more folks recommending these.

Don

I stand corrected. I could do the same thing by installing a spin on filter and a Filter Mag. Still not necessary IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/FilterMAG-SS2...omotive&sr=1-2
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 06-29-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:13 PM

I'm going to have to say I was reluctant at first to even think about using one. I was out driving one afternoon after I had my Camaro finally running. Things were going great, but the longer I drove the more my power steering seemed to not be working. Finally after about 30 minutes it was all I could do to get it back home. I checked everything I could think of and could not find anything wrong. I posted on here and I think it was Don Hutton that told me to check the screen filter in the power steering pump. (If it wasn't you Don, I apologize)
He also told me how to take it apart and suggested a filter. I took the screen out and found it was about 95% blocked with a fine substance, I don't know what. Cleaned the filter screen, put it all back together (with the filter, (actually a transmission filter) and have never had a problem with it again.
On another note after driving for a while now the steering gets to where it wants to hang up in different spots. Not bad but very noticeable. I think my headers are way too close to the steering box and causing problems.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:40 PM

This thread is titled road race car. Why wouldn’t you install one on a race car. Cheap insurance imo.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
I'm going to have to say I was reluctant at first to even think about using one. I was out driving one afternoon after I had my Camaro finally running. Things were going great, but the longer I drove the more my power steering seemed to not be working. Finally after about 30 minutes it was all I could do to get it back home. I checked everything I could think of and could not find anything wrong. I posted on here and I think it was Don Hutton that told me to check the screen filter in the power steering pump. (If it wasn't you Don, I apologize)
He also told me how to take it apart and suggested a filter. I took the screen out and found it was about 95% blocked with a fine substance, I don't know what. Cleaned the filter screen, put it all back together (with the filter, (actually a transmission filter) and have never had a problem with it again.
On another note after driving for a while now the steering gets to where it wants to hang up in different spots. Not bad but very noticeable. I think my headers are way too close to the steering box and causing problems.
It wasn’t me, most likely David Pozzi.

Don