Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Safety Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM

Default Driveshaft Safety Loop Q's

Does it matter where the driveshaft safety loop is placed in relation to where the exhaust crossover pipe (h-pipe/x-pipe) is located?

Is anyone running a loop that attaches to the transmission mount. I don't want to bolt it to the floor boards. The only other option seems to be to use the subframe connector bolts and do a fair amount of fabrication (for an amatuer at best welder). This is for a '67 Camaro.

I haven't drag raced it yet, and I'm not on slicks, so I don't "need" a loop, but the rear end and driveshaft are out right now, so I figured it was a good weekend project to keep me out of trouble.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 PM

I think "typical" location is 3/4 toward the rear of the shaft, I imagine to catch it if it breaks at the rear axle. A friend broke the joints at the front of his driveline at 120+, that made a mess of his floor and his underpants!

Dan
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM

I would mount it to tword the front of the DS. I'd rather have the rear of the DS hit the ground then the front.. NHRA rules say 6" back from the transmision

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:08 PM

Thanks guys, I don't think I was very clear. I know the safety loop needs to be within 6" of the centerline on the front U-joint.

My question was whether there was a rule about where the H-pipe or X-pipe falls in relation to the loop (i.e. does it have to be in front of the loop or behind it, or does it not matter?)
Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM

Most rule books specify the DS loop be located no more than 6" behind the front U-joint. If you happen to have sub frame connectors installed that is a good place to mount a DS loop. There is no rule pertaining to the exhaust that I have ever seen.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 01-29-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
Most rule books specify the DS loop be located no more than 6" behind the front U-joint. If you happen to have sub frame connectors installed that is a good place to mount a DS loop. There is no rule pertaining to the exhaust that I have ever seen.
I think Mythbusters did an episode on the pole vault theory and couldn't make it happen.

I posted a similar question on TC and got the same answer that it didn't matter where the pipe went.

Here's the thread that I was referencing:http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193442

They mention that the X-pipe has to go behind the safety loop. But in reading it again, maybe they meant it was the only place it would fit, rather than that it was a requirement.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 PM

Here are the quotes:

Quote:
With a driveshaft loop you are pretty limited, the X has to go behind the safety loop.
And
Quote:
The NHRA required driveshaft safety loop has to be within a few inches of the front U-joint. I wish I had a photo of mine to show.
I like the DR. Gas X setup, all these others are copies.
The X has to go behind the safety loop.

Last edited by 67Rally; 01-29-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 PM

Learn something new everyday. Let me ask ya, if its mounted 6" off the front and the rear joint breaks would it hit the ground?

The only loop I've put on is our Studebaker and its more toward the rear. I know that where its located either end can break and neither hit the ground. Just curious.

Dan
Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Learn something new everyday. Let me ask ya, if its mounted 6" off the front and the rear joint breaks would it hit the ground?

The only loop I've put on is our Studebaker and its more toward the rear. I know that where its located either end can break and neither hit the ground. Just curious.

Dan
Yes, it would still hit the ground, but it would just drag. I think the real fear is that if the front lets go, it could tear up the tunnel and anything (anyone) directly above it.

There's no reason why you couldn't run two loops. One front and one rear, but the NHRA rules require only the front one.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
...I think the real fear is that if the front lets go, it could tear up the tunnel and anything (anyone) directly above it....
Not to mention, possibly pole vaulting the car ass over tea kettle.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread