Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikels View Post
Yes - compressor controlled by Vintage Air (including bi/trinary switch), with PWM fan controlled by ECM.

Typically fan request for AC pressure never more than 30-40% (and only that high on very high demand AC environment). At that level, can barely hear fan running.

At full tilt (90% DC for most PWM fan controllers), an 850W fan tends to make a little noise - but only see that level during track use due to ECT, IAT or oil temp. I'm ok with fan making some noise then - especially if controlling temps.
Dave,

We are going with the E67 controller along with at least one C6 fan control module and the C6 AC pressure switch as you outline above to supplement the Vintage Air controls as far as request for fans is concerned.. We have two questions:

1. We are wondering if we have to use a body control module to enable the AC pressure switch to provide a fan request signal to the ECM or if it can do so directly without a body control module?

2. We know you doubt we need 2 modules for our dual fans but if we end up going that way, do you suppose the ECM will care that there are two modules receiving it's PWM signal vs one?
We are doubtful that it would be an issue since the ECM is just switching to ground but thought we should ask.

Thanks again for your help!
Lou

Last edited by Lous69; 03-09-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikels View Post
Simple answer is, yes - you can control a PWM fan controller with GM E67 controller (or E38 or E40)....Dave
Dave, or anyone, does this apply to the earlier LS1 ECU (411) as well?

And Lous69, are you also wanting to do this so you can run the oem compressor with a VA system (of which most people say not to do because primarily there isn't any pressure control)?

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I'm sure others are wondering the same thing - could be of value for a lot of us. If its doable but a completely different situation I can start another thread. Thanks. -Bob
Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
Dave, or anyone, does this apply to the earlier LS1 ECU (411) as well?

And Lous69, are you also wanting to do this so you can run the oem compressor with a VA system (of which most people say not to do because primarily there isn't any pressure control)?

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I'm sure others are wondering the same thing - could be of value for a lot of us. If its doable but a completely different situation I can start another thread. Thanks. -Bob
No. We are using the Vintage Air Compressor.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lous69 View Post
We are going with the E67 controller along with at least one C6 fan control module and the C6 AC pressure switch as you outline above to supplement the Vintage Air controls as far as request for fans is concerned.. We have two questions:

1. We are wondering if we have to use a body control module to enable the AC pressure switch to provide a fan request signal to the ECM or if it can do so directly without a body control module?

2. We know you doubt we need 2 modules for our dual fans but if we end up going that way, do you suppose the ECM will care that there are two modules receiving it's PWM signal vs one?
We are doubtful that it would be an issue since the ECM is just switching to ground but thought we should ask.

Thanks again for your help!
Lou
1 -Does not need BCM input in addition to AC pressure. Between all inputs for fan DC request, largest wins so just need to have AC pressure switch and cals populated for fan % vs. AC pressure.

2 -I've never tried running 2 PWM modules from the single output driver, so can't really say if it'll work or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
Dave, or anyone, does this apply to the earlier LS1 ECU (411) as well?. -Bob
All LS1 controllers I've worked with (P01, P59) are set for descrete fan drivers, not PWM. Can always set up to run parallel/series for 2 speed operation.

It's been so long since I've worked with one of those (outside a car it came in) I'd have to look to see if can run AC pressure switch in to control fan output.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Default Need help with PWM Fan module wiring

Has anyone got a PWM fan module to work? I have an LS2 motor from an 05 vette that I would like to wire with PWM fan control. I have the correct module for the E40 ECM but can not find the required pigtail or a wiring diagram that matches the module.

There are 4 main vertical pins on the module 1-4 labeled M-, 31, 30, and M+ there are 3 horizontal pins 5-7 that are not really labeled but may be PWM input.
I have attached link to an image of module.

Anybody know how this is wired and the part number for the connector?

Thanks for your help.
Bill

Last edited by cocoabill; 03-19-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 PM

Getting closer at least I know what it looks like

Old 03-20-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoabill View Post
There are 4 main vertical pins on the module 1-4 labeled M-, 31, 30, and M+ there are 3 horizontal pins 5-7 that are not really labeled but may be PWM input.
M- = Ground to fan motor
M+ = Power to fan motor
30 = Battery power (fused)
31 = Ground
Pin 6 = PWM input (in your case - E40 controller - J1-36)

Connector is sold as part of fan harness, which is part of cooling fan assembly - Part # 15819952 (AC Delco 15-80657). I found a few connectors separate years ago, but have since used them all.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 AM

Thank you very much, now for the connector hunt.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 AM

Other end of the connector looks like this;

I found it on the web, I dont have one. Looking though.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 AM

Thanks let me know, I found a motor with one on eBay, but kind of hate to buy a motor just to get the connector.

Bill