Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Wowzer, what a pile.... There is no way that thing should have been on the track.

The good news, if you can get it mechanically sound, it's the perfect candidate to beat the snot out of and appears to have a solid chassis.
GregWeld (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Welds track warrior

Greg,
It takes a lot of effort to do these things now a days
I am about the same age as you and know this well
I have been thinking that for the last several years myself
Not feeling well does not help but your mind is still working
to figure this and that out but sometimes the body can not
keep up to all we really want to do

It has taken me a while to figure it out that if it stops being
fun to do because of deadlines or too much all at once I just
push it off to cut the stress etc.. We have nothing to prove
and we really are doing this because we enjoy it

The thing I like about the cars if you need a break you can
just walk away for a little bit... I say a little bit because we
really cannot leave them alone for very long (our sickness of
having to play with them)

Hang in there buddy.. you will be back at it shortly and if
anybody can figure it out I know it is you.. just sorry to hear
about you and Ron

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Panteracer For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:44 AM

I withheld commenting on this as long as possible--I actually lost sleep over it last night. There are serious legal issues here, but with the evidence present, holy crud. In most parts of the United States, you can by a pretty darn nice house for $200k. That thing represents a serious lack of . . . patience.

It sounds like somebody didn't realize that baffling must be in place in valve covers, especially with a serious dry sump system; without baffling and a legit catch can and breather setup, you have a valve cover-based oil fountain. Not only is this a bottom level mechanical f-up, it's a massive safety hazard. We have guys here who work on oil rigs who've undoubtedly seen bad oil-related incidents (massive fires) first hand . . .

Air flow--somebody should have taken a look at the TA2 ducting system for the radiator setup . . . or a Corvette.

Best of luck in getting this sorted. Hopefully, it will serve as some sort of lesson/cautionary tale for those who wish they could pay for such a thing.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:16 PM

One day at a time Greg. Invite some buddies over to work on the car and see if you can find some enjoyment in it [beer]. I'm Canadian, so if I'm helping I'll just bring my own! [the good stuff]. Seriously though, try and step back and review what will bring your stress level down and follow that path. I always enjoy reading your posts and views on life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter McMahon For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:20 PM

I too have been reluctant to comment. I like both parties involved but, in my opinion what began as a cheerful, good faith effort, was overcome by the realities of trying to build a complete, finished race car (a prototype of sorts) in an unrealistically short period of time. I certainly feel Greg's pain and he has fulfilled all of his obligations in this contract. On the other hand, the most important part of the car (the chassis and suspension) seems to be rock solid and is the basis for a very fast car. There are perhaps design issues that need to be dealt with (airflow for cooling, for example) and Ron needs to work with his suppliers to sort out the engine oiling and cooling issues. He owes these things to his customer. The body is your typical aftermarket piece that needs 2 months and $10K worth of work to bring it up to Greg's standards. Proper bodywork was not possible in the time allocated for the build, so it got a hurried, cheap wrap to make an appearance at THill. Unfortunate, since it gave the impression of a less-than-professional effort. The car really needed another (or perhaps multiple) test and tune to work out the bugs - not at a NASA competitive event. Hopefully Greg and Ron can work out an equitable solution that will benefit both. Best of luck.

Pappy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mfain For This Useful Post:
67goatman455 (08-26-2018), 69hugger (08-09-2018), frojoe (08-09-2018), Rmt (08-09-2018), rustomatic (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

In so many ways I am sad to read this post. A person's car, expectations, physical / emotional / mental health, not to mention safety, rise and fall with these builds.

I hope all parties can find a way forward to a resolution and internal peace at some point.

Mostly, I hope Greg is with us - keeping our heads and hearts straight - forever.

Last edited by Ron in SoCal; 08-09-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: sp
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron in SoCal For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (08-10-2018), glassman (08-09-2018), gofastwclass (08-09-2018), GregWeld (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:21 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McMahon View Post
One day at a time Greg. Invite some buddies over to work on the car and see if you can find some enjoyment in it [beer]. I'm Canadian, so if I'm helping I'll just bring my own! [the good stuff]. Seriously though, try and step back and review what will bring your stress level down and follow that path. I always enjoy reading your posts and views on life.

Thanks Peter!!

Hey -- back in the day --- like 44 years ago -- I used to run to the border and bring home a carton of Export A's.... LOL and some 222's !!

Moosehead FTW !!

I'm no longer stressed ---- I've let it go ---- now just having some fun burying the SOB so he can't do this to others..... my new "life's goal". A man needs goals.... this one is a bit easy but what the heck. He hung himself -- I'm just sharing the lynching so we can all live and learn. There's usually more to learn from things like this -- than if it'd been all perfect.

EH!
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
96z28ss (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:32 PM

That's good to hear! It's just a pile of bolts in the grand scheme...

Make the best of it my friend!
GregWeld (08-09-2018), jarhead (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Thanks Peter!!

Hey -- back in the day --- like 44 years ago -- I used to run to the border and bring home a carton of Export A's.... LOL and some 222's !!

Moosehead FTW !!

EH!
“Moose head for the win”. Come on now, let’s keep this thread serious. Rolling Rock FTW
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter McMahon For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfain View Post
I too have been reluctant to comment. I like both parties involved but, in my opinion what began as a cheerful, good faith effort, was overcome by the realities of trying to build a complete, finished race car (a prototype of sorts) in an unrealistically short period of time.

The time frame was agreed to well in advance and I was assured that while it would be tight --- it was no problem. Ample discussions all along the way about making dates etc ensued - and at each step of the way - there was a "no problem, we got this". And then a half hour of stories about how they built cars in a weekend..... In other words -- lots of stories -- not much substance. They'd NEVER built a car like this.... I knew that and expected all manor of teething pains. This IS NOT MY FIRST GOAT RODEO.

I certainly feel Greg's pain and he has fulfilled all of his obligations in this contract. On the other hand, the most important part of the car (the chassis and suspension) seems to be rock solid and is the basis for a very fast car.

MAYBE....... but I'm hearing from people that know more and have had nothing but issues with this particular design.....

There are perhaps design issues that need to be dealt with (airflow for cooling, for example) and Ron needs to work with his suppliers to sort out the engine oiling and cooling issues. He owes these things to his customer. The body is your typical aftermarket piece that needs 2 months and $10K worth of work to bring it up to Greg's standards. Proper bodywork was not possible in the time allocated for the build, so it got a hurried, cheap wrap to make an appearance at THill.

NOT FACTUAL ------ The car was supposed to be completely done JUNE 28th --- I allowed it to be done body in white etc for testing -- because I was far more concerned about the mechanicals and set up. There was no info vacuum here --- We (Sutton/Randy/Greg) had lots of phone calls and emails about dates. It involves many more people to make these dates..... and all was planned well in advance.

The car was run body in white --- then was to be disassembled and coated and wrapped..... but PRIOR TO THAT --- we/they KNEW of the oiling issues. NOTHING WAS CHANGED / FIXED..... This is INCOMPETENCE not bad planning on my part.

I was willing and able to make date extensions. It's just a track day -- not a funeral and not a 4th of July show..... Everything was subject to change at a moments notice. No biggie.

Unfortunate, since it gave the impression of a less-than-professional effort. The car really needed another (or perhaps multiple) test and tune to work out the bugs - not at a NASA competitive event. Hopefully Greg and Ron can work out an equitable solution that will benefit both. Best of luck. Pappy

Yes Greg and Ron have worked out an equitable solution --- HE and all his friends are FIRED.... never to see this car again. His name and any and all association with him are zero'd out. Zero F's given. Pappy -- I hope you're not just another victim. Because it sounds to me like you're still a Sutton fanboi. You would not be if you knew all the dirty sordid details. And you should be on the receiving end of the texts, PM's, and emails I've recieved. YOU would have a much deeper understanding of this guys business. It's worse than you can imagine.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
Al Moreno (08-09-2018)