Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2009, 04:08 AM

I have had a bunch of Porsche's blasted over the years with different types of media. And I can tell you that when using a street car as a base for a race car, the street cars have heavy undercoating everywhere . I have never paid anywhere near what you were charged for blasting!

In California we have the BAR or Bureau of Automotive Repair. If there is not signed invoice the BAR will go after the service provider with a vengeance. This was created just for the problem you having . The shop could have done 10K worth of work but if they didn;t get a work order signed they have to give the money back and kiss the service or work they did goodbye . So I would check into what state or county governing agency you have
Porsche 935
Porsche IROC series RSR (Fittipaldi)
Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 PM

Wow..... I paid a total of about $1100 for my Cuda... thats entire shell, inside and out, doors, trunk valances etc ( spent quite a few hours doing the thick ass undercoating myself), plus separate dash and seat frames. Several areas of my car had alot of filler......

That car is probably half the size of my Cuda.....granted the undercoating can take a long time, but over $6k is ridiculous. 61 hours is way too high.... I could do that with a wire wheel in less than 61 hours. Plus having it on a rotisserie should have saved some hours.....

I probably put 10-12 hours into the undercoating on my car and I did that all by hand. And it was very thick on my car

This is a ransom for the car.....
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM

If there is no paperwork, I.E. no receipt for a deposit, then there is no authorization to work, and therefore I would think you can simply state you did not authorize him to start the job without clarifying the costs.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Supporting Vendor

Question sandblasting

They charge $125.00 per hour here in Minnesota. About $800-$1200 per car depending on undercoating and rust issues. $6100 is WAY wrong !!!!

www.extremepowdercoating.net
Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 PM

The three original quotes I received when starting my project was between 1100-1500.00 here in WI. and a package discount of 200.00 if I did both cars I had with one company. All 3 were reputable places of bus. However I choose to dip my car and e coat along the way. Dip procedure for the car/subframe was 1450.00 (25hrs done twice) and a balance of 600.00 after final e-coat process is done further down the line.
Dave

Last edited by nvr2fst; 03-03-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAPMEETCRAZY View Post
Hey Stefan--U sure the "butcher shop guy" and the blaster are not brother-in-laws!!!! Damn thats terrible!!!
I think he said the two shops are in the same area. I was wondering if it was some type of good old boy payback going on?
Steve
Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob07002 View Post
If there is no paperwork, I.E. no receipt for a deposit, then there is no authorization to work, and therefore I would think you can simply state you did not authorize him to start the job without clarifying the costs.
Exactly, Thats the way it works here in Illinois. I learned this the hard way trust me . Every job we do has a signed work order nowa I don't care how small! I did a complete paint on a Caddy and guess what he never signed a work order. So the $6500.00 quote and the fact that he gave me a small deposit meant nothing. He got a free paint job!!! Took me to court and I did'nt have a chance the whole trial lasted 3 minute judge asked for the workorder I did'nt have one so that was it.....Turns out this was'nt the first time this NICE man done this...
Old 03-04-2009, 02:42 PM

We usually pay $800-$1500 depending on how large the car is and that is media blasted. Very smooth and has never destroyed a panel yet. Tell him you will give him $1000 that is a small car inside and out.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Man, that is excessive. Esp. if it was on a rotisirrie (sp) I've never had a car stripped, but 61 hours? No way.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM

This is very interesting since we stripped, patched panels and painted a 53 Speedster in less time..

I would get every quote from every media blaster you could and take that to the civil case. Maybe even request to see billing statements from previous customers to see if any of them came close to that price.