Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Supporting Member

Default C6 Brakes or ..............?

To all:

From what I have read, the Corvette C6 Brakes seam to be a really good bang for the buck, even comparing in quality to the Wilwood and Baer Products. (Supposedly designed for hard use (Track/Road) and 200 mph stopping power of a 3600 pound car)

Given this is true, why are not more people running them? Between the cost, availablity of parts, performance and price, it seems like a no brainer on what to choose for my car.

What am I missing, and if my information is inaccurate, please correct.

Thanks,

tyoneal
Old 08-30-2006, 01:14 AM

I have been thinking about using them after I get the AFX spindles. Do you have any pricing info on them? calipers, mount and Disk.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Banned

There are a few reasons, one of them is that some people have extra money to spend and just want the best, others need more and consitant stopping power, and another factor is looks. For 99% of the cars that you see and read about, the C5/C6 brakes(nearly identical) will be more than enough, and these days they are dirt cheap.

The six piston baer brakes,wilwoods,apracing, stoptech, and brembo are all great brakes, even if a few of them have different things going for them. IMO a big factor is the "wow factor" most of the PT rides have wheels that show the brakes, and most people like to have the brakes kinda making that "OOOH" statement. These days the brakes can be as a big deal as the paint and wheel combo as they are so visible.

People who are more concerned with going faster actually can utilize the bigger/better brakes, as they give more conistant, grip, and heat resistance than something like a C5 setup. Plus they are usually lighter which helps save unsprung weight. ALso the trick setups have floating rotors which help reduce rotor warping and other things.

IMO the bigger brake setups are mostly a waste on most street cars, or even cars that people are going to track, as it takes a lot longer for a driver to get fast enough to even use the brakes enough to warrant the need for something bigger/better. Its more of a "who's got what" thing. But it probably is the best thing to waste money on if you are going too. Nothing better than having good brakes even if you don't use them to their potential. Thing is that most people think of better brakes = better stopping distance which isn't always true, yeah you will get a better stopping distance but only IF you are that good at braking on the verge of lockup. The key to these higher end brakes is that they won't be affected by heat as much, and will provide more grip and clamping force, all things that prevail under extreme enviroments IE a proficient driver at the track.

If I remember CarlC in his basic/simple yet fast 68 camaro was running C4 brakes with race pads, and had no problems and was outrunning almost everyone on the track, and another guy in a C5 corvette finally boiled the fluid in the car(all stock brake system) not until the very end of the day after making extended passes without any cool off time. Some higher temp brake fluid would of solved that problem, although better brakes will transmit less heat into the system.

So what does this all mean? If you think the C5 brake system Looks good enough for you, it will work just fine and probably beyond what you will need. I would recommend touring classics kit, for the price there is no need to try and piece together for yourself. I have installed a set on a 68 firebird and it worked great.(although they only offered a manual master cylinder)

BTW I would recommend to not get crossdrilled rotors if you plan on putting some heat into the rotors, it took me a long time to finallly realize this, I would never listen, and am guilty of having crossdrilled rotors but in all honestly I now think solid rotors not only look better, but all the morons at autozone won't drool over your "poser rotors" LOL

Edit: and we all know its impossible to do 200mph

Last edited by fatlife; 08-30-2006 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:53 AM

Default brakes

great points fattie and very imformative...although Troy did encounter problems with over heating C5's but it was if you remember 110 degrees out, he had no direct ducting and did it to beat up on two Porsches. So in all reality did fairly well.

I still believe high temp fluid and direct ducting would have helped.

As far as factory C5/C6 brake usage is concerned? Not too sure, might be the belief that factory is crap? I think the C6 Z51 set up is more than adaquate for a hard driven street/ moderate track car. The Z06 package might be overkill for some but will be fine for the harder racers.

Personally I hope they keep looking the stuff over cause it makes it cheaper for us regular guys to get. I use the C5 set up on 2 of my cars and the performance is more than I need. vin

sneek attach beatch slotted rotors are fine
Old 08-30-2006, 03:11 AM

Just in case anyone does not know what calipers we are talking about here is a picture I stole from chevrolet.com and the text that was with it.

"Corvette Z06 employs monoblock six-piston front calipers and four-piston rear calipers. Each piston utilizes its own pad. The opposing pistons operate in pairs, applying brake pressure equally to each side of the rotor. The extra-large 14-inch front rotors and 13.4-inch rears are vented and cross-drilled. Brake cooling ducts are capable of moving twice the amount of cooling air compared to the previous-generation Z06.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2006, 04:51 AM

I am planning on running the Z06 6piston stuff.... as soon as I am employed again that is!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
Old 08-30-2006, 07:11 AM

for me, the Touring Classics are the way to go and mine won't see many track days. But I think fatlife summed it up. It's mainly for looks. And ssssssh don't tell everybody about the low price of them. Atleast until I get mine. You are spoiling it for everyone.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:04 AM

the c6 z51 package is c5 calipers, with different abutments front and rear as the front rotors are 13-3/8 actual and 13 inch in the rear. its what i am running
jake
Old 08-30-2006, 08:41 AM

Where does one get good pricing on these brakes?

Any Chevy dealers out there whom you guys deal with on a regular basis?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I had C4 13" rotors that had gas slots, but since I have have upgraded to ATS spindles I need some C5 rotors with gas slots, I'm really not into the drilled holes, I've seen lots of cracks, and I have just hooked up with my BMW friends, so track days are eveident, can't wait,

anybody have a source of gas slotted C5 rotors???

70 Nova SS street racer, ugly,