Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 09-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Banned

actually, I'm going to polish my poser 19" FORGED wheels they've collected a lot of dust sitting in the garage for so long
Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane
Standard C5/6. Parts availability is a no brainer and there are plenty of pads available. Good system, well thought out (or the OEM wouldnt use them to begin with) and an easy system to adapt. And the system cost is a real plus.

The PBR Z06 stuff is junk. Its pretty sad when a supplier can not provide both right and left specific rotors required to keep up with production ?? (Geeze, lets ship the systems with two lefts instead ) Way too many problems right out of the box and maintenance is a PITA.... not to mention that pad replacement cost is a joke as well. The performance feed back I have recieved isnt all of what I thought either..... I was expecting so much more. Its is a great system for a street based chassis, but from what the boys have been telling me, they dont cut it for a serious track day.

Next.... and my first choice, as this is what I am running myself on my 67. APRacing CP5555 fronts and CP5147 rears. They are much better than most available mono blocks for any kind of money (this side of any caliper that cost $3k each). Better performance and cost wise over the Baer 6S/R systems that is for sure. They are lighter, stiffer and some of the available options are priceless. You can utilize a stock C5/6 rear parking brake mechanism and it is a true bolt on. If you can use a C5/6 package, these will fit. I would however recommend an 18" wheel package.... as the rotors are a 14x1.4 front and a 13x1.0 rear.

Front:
Brake Manufacturer: AP Racing
Caliper/Piston Number: CP5555, differential bore six-piston
Rotor Manufacturer: AP Racing
Rotor Type: Slotted 2 pc, McLaren floaters
Rotor Dimensions: 355mm x 35.5mm (14 x 1.4")
Wheel/Tire Size: 18x9.5 265/40/18
Tire make/model: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
Brake Line: Stainless 3/16" hardline, Goodridge SS Flex lines
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF 600
Pad type/compound: Ferodo 2500
Master size: 7/8"
Weight: 33.5 lbs
Combined left and right: 67 lbs

Rear:
Brake Manufacturer: AP Racing
Caliper/Piston Number: CP5147, four-piston
Rotor Manufacturer: AP Racing
Rotor Type: Slotted 2 pc, **NEW** Iron hat, factory e-brake compatible
Rotor Dimensions: 330mm x 25.5mm (13 x 1")
Wheel/Tire Size: 18x9.5 275/40/18
Tire make/model: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
Brake Line: Stainless 3/16" hard line, Goodridge SS Flex lines
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF 600
Pad type/compound: Pagid RS421
Master size: 1"
Weight: 27.5 lbs
Combined left and right: 55 lbs

This is the Holy Grail of brake systems.

I have installed and used various systems from every manufacturer..... (Alcon, AP Racing, Brembo, CNC, PBR, Perf Fric, JFZ, Stoptech and Wilwood) which also goes for pad/compounds (Axxis, Carbotech, Ferodo, Hawk, Pagid, Perf Fric, Porterfield, Poly Matrix, Raybestos and Mintex). The modulation, fade resistance, predictability and shear stopping power of these independant systems is nothing short of phenomenal.

Think.... 60-0 in under 90 feet.

C5/6 think.... 60-0 in around 105-112 feet.
-----------------------------
Chicane

Really interesting post. Obviously you have a great deal of knowledge regarding this subject.

Based on the Qualities I had outlined, would both of these systems fit the desired parameters? I realize there is a great deal of difference between the two.

Can you give me a rough estimate of the cost involved with the AP Racing Bakes you have vs. the C6 Brakes you mentioned? (Both upfront cost and maintenance)

I noticed the part number you mentioned for the rear brakes has probably changed from the newer part numbers. Do you know the newer number?

Where did you purchase your brakes?

Any difficulty finding pads for these?

Thanks again for the great post.

Regards,

tyoneal
Old 09-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Supporting Member

To All:

Is there a consensus that the C5/C6 Brakes for the first gens are probably the best bang for the buck for the street and some track work?

Thanks for all your contributions, this has really been informative.

tyoneal
Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Banned

yes
Old 09-06-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaver
How much for the touring classics and can they handle 18 and 20 inch wheels?

thanks,

Weaver
I think it was around $900. They are a sponsor here, I think. They should be anyways.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneal
To All:

Is there a consensus that the C5/C6 Brakes for the first gens are probably the best bang for the buck for the street and some track work?

Thanks for all your contributions, this has really been informative.

tyoneal
Yes.. although this thread is a bit confusing.. at first you're talking about C6 brakes but then you show a picture of C6-Z06 brakes.

Both are great brake options but they are nothing alike. I'm a big fan of standard c5/c6 brakes and if they're good enough for a $50k sports car then they are good enough for most cars on here.

The new Z06 brakes are extra nice and a great deal for what you get. I think most people go aftermarket because it's easy. You order a kit and it comes with all the brackets you need to install them. Not so with trying to make some OEM brakes work on your XYZ car..

Oh, and they look sweet

I also agree with Yody that drilled rotors are not the best choice for the track. However if they are "drilled" right then the issues are minor. I drove the %$%# out my 2000 SS at the track and it had drilled Wilwood discs. Never had an issue, but you are more likely to have an issue with drilled rotors over solids. They do look sweet though and there's nothing wrong with that. lol

People want huge exotic brakes because it's what they want and what they can afford. Same reason people buy HRE wheels, fancy seats or billet hood hinges.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 09-20-2006, 01:10 PM

Default Sounds good...

Anybody know if the parts are available from gmpartsdirect.com? I've been there a few times and it seems like a good place to get VERY good prices.

How would one fit those 14" fr and 13" rear rotors?
Spindle choice?
caliper bracket?
Booster and Mc?

How about the rear?

Any company with the brackets out already? I think speedtech had one for the C5's...If i understood correctly, C6 would fit just the same. But would C6 Z06 (Z51) ???

If I'm gonna pose (poser!) might as well look good doing it!

Lead.

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"
Old 09-20-2006, 02:13 PM

Default go to...

www.corvetteforum.com I saw where someone was selling the whole shooting match off of a 06 Z06 for $1700 bucks. Under the C6 parts for sale section.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2
Yes.. although this thread is a bit confusing.. at first you're talking about C6 brakes but then you show a picture of C6-Z06 brakes.

Both are great brake options but they are nothing alike. I'm a big fan of standard c5/c6 brakes and if they're good enough for a $50k sports car then they are good enough for most cars on here.

The new Z06 brakes are extra nice and a great deal for what you get. I think most people go aftermarket because it's easy. You order a kit and it comes with all the brackets you need to install them. Not so with trying to make some OEM brakes work on your XYZ car..

Oh, and they look sweet

I also agree with Yody that drilled rotors are not the best choice for the track. However if they are "drilled" right then the issues are minor. I drove the %$%# out my 2000 SS at the track and it had drilled Wilwood discs. Never had an issue, but you are more likely to have an issue with drilled rotors over solids. They do look sweet though and there's nothing wrong with that. lol

People want huge exotic brakes because it's what they want and what they can afford. Same reason people buy HRE wheels, fancy seats or billet hood hinges.
Steve:

Sorry for the confusion about the picture. It's been a while and I can't remember why I used it. (I hate it when that happens!!)

As far as I know, the C6 brakes can/do use a 14 inch rotor in front, correct, or is that a Z06 option only??

Do you know if you can use two piece rotors with the calipers?

Thanks for all yoour help. Slowly, all the decision are being ironed out.

tyoneal
Old 03-15-2007, 02:19 AM

1) To convert a 68 camaro to C5 disks are there special spindles for the front or will the stock disk ones work?

2) I have drums in the back. What equipment do I need to convert it to C5 disks also?

The motor has great vacume (obviously I have no horsepower) so I put a power brake booster on already. It was a huge improvement in stopping ability. I am now interested in going to a larger rim. I only want to spend about 1500 for the brake setup.