Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2020, 07:31 AM

Default 66 Mustang Custom Suspension Data

Hey everyone, I think I have spent enough time researching and playing with Performance Trends Suspension Analyzer to have come up with the direction I want to head in with my suspension. Let's get a few basics out of the way. I worked backwards from the pre-loaded data points for the C5 Corvette suspension. I'd like to use the C5/C6 spindles with modified steering arms specific to my application. I kept all data points for the spindle the same, but modified the arms and frame attachment points to fit my car. To give you an update on my car, I custom built full frame rails front-to-rear out of 2x3 1/8" wall steel tubing. I need to update my build thread so that you can see pictures.

This car will not be a dedicated track car. In fact, it will probably be 70% street, 25% roadrace/AutoX, 5% drag. But, I'd like it to be as nimble as possible. Front is a coilover SLA (with C5/C6 spindles). The rear-end will be a coilover 3-link with panhard (not gonna have a back seat). Do I understand that there are systems out there that will meet my goals? Yes. Do I have the money to pay for a kit from DetroitSpeed, SoT, TCP, etc? Not really. I understand that their prices reflect the R&D and education and all that good stuff, but I got student loans that prevent spending that kind of cash right now. I like fabbing my own stuff too, and I'm pretty good at it. I plan on running 17" rims, 18" if only ABSOLUTELY necessary. Engine plans are a 351W base for now. Tranny will be manual 5-speed. All the other info necessary should be in the data sheet I will attach. Weight of the car from what I have researched should be right at 3000# with around a 55%/45% weight distribution from what I have read. I've only ever had the car in a stripped down form so I have no real world exact measurements except those I've found in forums.

So what I need from everyone is to tell me about any holes in my plans. The other thing I'd like some opinion on is what size tubing is necessary for the front arms. 1"? 1.25"? Wall thickness? Mild steel or Chromoly? I know chromoly will be lighter, but I'll have to get a shop to TIG it (don't have TIG yet). Also, what version of connection points do you feel is better? What I've looked at so far are either spherical joints or poly-bushing. I also though about making one attachment point of the arms with a threaded rod so that mild adjustments can be made if necessary, or using an attachment setup similar to the early GM cars (bar between the bushings/bearings). See the pics below.

So tell me what y'all think. If I'm way off my hinges, let me know. Again, not gonna be a pure-bread race car, but I'd like it to be as high-tech as what can be produced out of my garage. I'd like to get to building soon...been researching this stuff waaaay too long without any real-world action being done. Thanks!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mustang Suspension 1.pdf (42.8 KB, 0 views)

Tags
c5/c6, coilover, mustang