Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 04-01-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Mocking up a T-56

Hey guys,

I am wanting to make a weld in style cross member a la DSE. In order to do this I want to mock up a T-56 to my car to figure out where to cut the tunnel etc. My question is, i do not want to go out to D&D or G-Force and buy a $3500 transmission just yet, are all T-56 casings the same? Can i go to a scrap yard and get a casing with a hole in it to use for mock up and fab?

I looked at that PAYR company that does the polypropelene replica parts, but they dont have a t-56... would be nice if they did.

Let me know your thoughts.

Trev
Old 04-01-2005, 10:15 AM

Default lots of options

Different version have different shifter locations which isn’t that big a deal, but this in turn moves the reverse lock out solenoid. Which can become troublesome because it protrudes pass the case and is some what bulky. The DSE cross member is design for the viper version which places the shifter in the most forward location right at the front of the tailstock. If you look at the cross member on the twister it has a large notch that is tapered this is there to clear that solenoid. If you use an F-Boby T-56 this additional clearance might not be necessary as the shifter in located at the extreme Rear of the trany.

Them there are mustang visions that I believe are a little different yet, don’t know much about them.

My self and several other members here had a length discussion with Red Roberts at SEMA the owner of Mcleod. He has some really great stuff for the T-56 in R&D which includes ay extremely adjustable shifter, a new tail stock that allows you to move the shifter around and I gets rid out the reveres lockout all together and new smaller main case with reduced ribbing for more clearance on cars with smaller tunnels. Hope this helps

Brian
Old 04-01-2005, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Schein
My self and several other members here had a length discussion with Red Roberts at SEMA the owner of Mcleod. He has some really great stuff for the T-56 in R&D which includes ay extremely adjustable shifter, a new tail stock that allows you to move the shifter around and I gets rid out the reveres lockout all together and new smaller main case with reduced ribbing for more clearance on cars with smaller tunnels. Hope this helps
Which version of the T-56 are they doing R&D on? Or are they doing a complete transmission? I think i may be a bit confused here... so please be patient, it is hard for me to visualize things without actually seeing them.

Viper, Mustang, Camaro, all use T56 transmissions. Are the only external physical differences the tail housing length (shifter position) and bellhousing bolt pattern?

My main concern is the positioning of the crossmember and mounting points within the floorpan. Since the crossmember doesn't mount to the tail housing, do i need to know the tailhousing length to do this? I realize that i will need to know it in order to cut the shifter hole. Do all T56 casings (minus the tail housing) have the same physical dimentions and crosmember mount locations?

I guess at the end of the day the question i am trying to get answered is this: If i want to install a weld in style crossmember simular to what DSE has, how can i make sure that it gets put into the right spot without going out and buying a new transmission?

Last edited by Nutsy; 04-01-2005 at 10:57 AM.