Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-12-2009, 07:12 AM

Hey There!

Looking good! I think you are doing some fabulous work on the car. My only comment on this would be the trans crossmember. I'm just not feeling the boxed ladder set-up. I, like Syborg, think that the round tubing would look cleaner, but if you don't want to go that route, I just feel like that crossmemer should be inside/on top of the frame. If for whatever reason, a piece of road debris, bottoming out, etc... shears those bolts off, your tranny is going bye-bye. At least the other way, it is still there and you could possibly limp the car home.

LOVE THE COLOR!!! I too am getting tired of the all the Black SE TAs out there. Don't get me wrong I would love to have one, but I have a little different recipe in mind for my Trans Am.

Good luck to you and can't wait to see it done!

Dave
Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Seconds View Post
No one has any thoughts?
IMO, it's way too low as thats a very vulnerable spot when entering driveways, going over speed bumps, loading/unloading a trailer, getting it on a 4 post lift, etc.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Just found this thread and read all 7 pages. The car is looking great. Keep up the good work.

I agree with Marty about doing something with the bolts on the trans cross member. You could maybe put two pieces of angle iron on each end and use that as the mounting pad for holding the cross member to the frame.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments on the crossmember. I guess I probably knew that after seeing it done, but wasnt quite ready to make the call on it. I guess I will go try again.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM

First of all - killer build!! Like the work you are doing. Mini-tubs etc look great! In regards to the tranny X-member - I would opt for something different. Everything else on the car looks really nice and thought out. The tranny cross member doesn't keep up with the rest of the car - estically IMO. Not to mention hanging so low. Think of how many times you have looked at a killer car then look underneath and see the exhaust of something that just looks way out of place and walk away saying killer car...but.... I would look at Morrison or Chassiworks for their universal crossmembers. They make some nice weld ins as well as bolts ins. Once again. Killer build & look forward to watching it come togther.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 PM

looking good
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 AM

BRP Hotrods has a nice crossmember that may work for you as well.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 PM

Thanks guys, I will be redoing the crossmember. I just am leaving it alone for the moment and trying to get some other stuff done right now. I would love to find one to just buy and stick in, but no one has one that I can buy.

Here are some recent pics:

Got the hydraulic clutch master installed. I am not happy with the plastic resovour though, so before I mount it I am going to replace it with with a billet one from Ring Bros.

Also started with the wiring - because of the aftermarket AC system and my desire to keep the firewall clear, under dash space is at a premium. So I am going to put my fuse panel in the trunk:

Some where over here - have not decided how to mount it yet:

The battery is going in about the same spot on the passenger side. Hole is for the fuel tank.

Ok, got some new pictures of the clutch and brake pedals up. Obviously they will be coming back out to get refinished, but I wanted to mock everything up and get it placed right, etc.

And the rear wiring is done! Well sort of... ok, fine, the wires that go through from the rear passenger compartment to the trunk area is done. And the tail light harness is done too.

Here is where the wires come through into the trunk area:

Rear window defrost will work again!

Looking forward...

Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Beautiful t/a! I love trans ams, matter of fact I own a 78 and 93 myself. Going to be a killer car. Wish I could build mine like yours but I just got too much going on with other projects and customer projects. But keep up the good work.

Ryan
Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 AM

Another bump for this build. Any progress in 2 years?