Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2005, 05:25 AM

Default The garage has something worthy now!!!!

Ok so, the story goes.... I bought a 68 396 original SS camaro sight unseen (except for a couple of photo's) off of ebay a few weeks ago, Buy it now option! (the car has a 454 in her now though)

I paid the guy upfront, took him for street cred and the sound of his voice. (I settled outside of ebay, a big risky decision, but paid off well in the long run) And at this stage I did not know what shipping costs would eventuate to, but it felt right. The car would be coming from about as far physically away as i could get without leaving the country. About 6000k/m's away i guess.

I got her boxed up in a container and got her sent to me via the rail system.

I dealt with the shipping yard in perth for the quote and box up. Everything orgainsed, and paid for upfront after a week or so of negoitations etc.

The guy selling me the car offered to box and send off the car as a last sign of respect to her. I naturally accepted his offer. A week or so goes by, sleeples nights included free of charge.

Getting close to delivery time and decided i'd ring the local shipping guys to see where the container was. But they knew nothing of it. Now i was starting to get worried, and thinking i been stooged.

The container arrived today at about 10:30, half hour before scheduled, and would be ready for me to pick up about 11:00... It was great timing, and i'd been trying to occupy my thoughts for the morning with miscellaneous stuff.

I have been hardly able to sleep for the last 3 weeks with anticipation, and woke about a dozen times last night with excitement.

I get to the shipping yard, looking around eagerly.. There were strict instructions that the container was not to be opened without me present. The guy says 'yeah i know about the container with the car in it, come with me' I signed the induction slip and got the orange 'safety vest' on in miracle timing. We start walking towards the brand new container sitting on its lonesome in the middle of the yard. Sweet, everyone so far seems to respect this car and go out of their way to treat her good.

The guy cuts the 'security seal' off the door, (good i know no-one has seen her yet), and all the zip ties holding the handles etc. Opens the door, and says 'Mate, if i'd have known this baby was in here, she wouldnt have been sitting here sealed up', i say 'yeah, thats why there was directions that no prick was to open the container, cap'ice'

So after him picking all the things wrong with her, and telling me there's a lot of work in her, he leaves me and the car alone. I go to tying down the boot, and the bonnet and all other things that may come loose on the short journey home on the tilt tray. The truck should be about 15 minutes away, a friend of mine drives it, so i dont wanna be running late.

I fix the steering up and a few other things that need attention in the meantime, getting her ready to roll out and make her debut...

We load her up on the tray, and drive off with me in hot pursuit behind in the little work car. Following the truck i can't help but notice people taking notice, almost falling off bikes, and looking without concentrating on the road as the truck drives bye. This is as the car is sitting in primer and a crap set of daisys under her. (imagine what attention she'll get when looking sexy!)

We get her home, and push her up the driveway to my cleaned out garage. Home sweet home.

The car has me in awe every time i look at it, has a certain aura around it.

This car is sort of my mid life crisis, i'm only 27 though, am i allowed to have one yet?

I could sit and stare at the engine for hours, it's huge. I can see why you guys have such an unhealthy obsession with these cars.

I can't beleive how easy these things are to work on. I had a 66 mustang when i was much younger, and it was not quite as simple. I love this car....!!!

I've spent all day with the car pretty much, and she is great company. I spent most of the time unloading the car of it's spare parts, with the occasional surprise of N.O.S parts.

Hang tight, photos will follow soon.

PS - This car has not been wet for 20 years, or even seen the road since 1988. A genuine 86k miles on the odo.

Fuel prices suck!

Last edited by *rayman*; 09-08-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:39 AM

Hi Rayman,glad to hear everything tuned out ok, but sounds like a nerve wracking experience waiting for it, it was bad enough for me waiting for my hideaway headlights & grille to turn up for my '69 bought off ebay in the US, don't think I could stand the suspense of waiting for a whole car. Come on, photos, photos, photos !!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:41 AM

hey evilzee, where bouts in the world you from?

i'm thinking about whether to put a RS front on my girl or not...

Sleepless nights are one thing while i'm waiting for her to turn up, now thats she's here, i'm tempted to sleep in the garage with her.....

Fuel prices suck!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:22 AM
Supporting Member

Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for pics.

You need to driver her somewhere that is very Austrailian looking in the background and snap some pictures.

Congrats!

Now...If I could just get a supercharged Holden shipped to me.........
Old 08-26-2005, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Cool story, rayman. I think we can all relate to that feeling. Glad to hear you have your car sitting at home.

Now we need to hear what your plans are for the car.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 08-26-2005, 09:10 AM

Cool story. Glad to hear everything went well with the transaction.

Now, go take some pics!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Congrats on the car enjoy it and take those PHOTOS for us!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

There's no way you can tell a tale like that without showing some pix. I admire your courage and patience thoughout the transaction.
Good luck with the car!!
/Steevo

Ridetech.com
Old 08-26-2005, 10:52 PM

Great story. You can't go wrong with the RS front end!
Old 08-27-2005, 02:15 AM

awesome story......that is how i felt after i finished my twin turbo install.......could stop staring at em
1989 mustang coupe 4 cyl.
1980 mustang coupe 4 cyl.
MY MUSTANG ENTHUSIASTS SITE
Insanemustangs