Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Well I for one had an awesome time.The best part for me was meeting a bunch of new folks.Charley L.Jody B.Greg W.Socal Ron.JCG Cris.Jason of War,Tom,Deb,Sam F.Albert's Firebird made the 100 + mile drive to puhrump (in the freezing rain),Thrashed on on it all day Sat. And nothing broke,just a few paint chip's.Thank's too everybody who competed at Optima,And congrat's to Danny Pop for being faster then snot.

Last edited by coolwelder62; 11-06-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
And that may be a HUUUUGE mistake. You can't bake your cake and eat it too. Getting greedy on the race car side will effect your comfort and cruising experience. I always say, you don't know what you've built until the wheels spin the first time.
Agreed. Gotta do your best to know what you want in the end and make the appropriate compromises.

But as you've admitted you woulda done many things different with your car knowing what you know now. Even the best intentions and plans sometimes are derailed.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanked 1,316 Times in 494 Posts

I think I heard Mary beat a certain car with no windows.

I think a big factor for Stielow was how cold it was outside. I saw the red Mustang with the big wing had tire heaters. Popp and Detroit Speed had these solar looking covers over their tires to keep the heat from the warmup laps in. Mark had considered bringing tire warmers but didn't want to rattle any cages by going that far. Guess he should have. There was some serious hardware there with some good drivers. There was also some serious hardware there that looked silly on the autocross because some of them had no clue as to how to set it up. Fun event but was kinda disappointed that only the winner in each class got any awards. If you finished second it was announced. If you finished third I don't even think you got mentioned. In the future it would be nice to give say 1-5 or top 10 some kind of award to take home as a momento. Does not have to be tires or cameras, just something somebody can show off at home. The extreme example is Stielow finishing second overall out of 50plus contestants and walking away with a handshake. A small trophy or something would cost next to nothing and would be something to remember the accomplishment by.

Was a great event and the drive thru the snowy pass was a fun adventure. We stopped at Target on the way and bought knit caps, knit gloves, sweatshirts etc. Kept kinds warm for under 20.00 I especially enjoy the bar at Wullfys for Pizza and Beer.

Yes I also agree if our type of Pro-Touring cars want to be very competitive there need to be two classes. One for older stuff and one for newer stuff. I have a 2011 Porsche Turbo S that would have killed everyone in the speed stop challenge. AWD traction controlled full boost launch is hard to beat.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Default pics

pics and info on our site
Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Great day at the races

Optima 2011 by Sunday Slacker Magazine, on Flickr

Http://www.sundayslacker.com
Old 11-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I'm not picking on anybody and don't want to start a pissing match. My point, cars are constantly moving away from the roots of protouring and becoming race cars with lights, 200 treadwears, and plates. This a very declicate subject but I have a good feel for the end product. I'd consider my car somewhere in the middle. If I had it to do over again, I'd likely be one of the guys with a car more catered to the track vs. the street. That's just what I enjoy the most. I'm not 18 anymore and I don't find many places to let 666hp breath around here. Not safely at least.

Bottom line, my point is that Mark is doing it with a car that is really the definition or protouring.
Nuff said...............
Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
I have a 2011 Porsche Turbo S that would have killed everyone in the speed stop challenge. AWD traction controlled full boost launch is hard to beat.

LOL - You are so right!! I witnessed this first hand... and it's just awesome how hard that thing launches!

RE: Classes

We almost need THREE classes.... because there were brand new Camaros - Vettes, CTS V's and Mustangs out there with all the factory stuff PLUS the kitchen sink!

Then you had the "almost a full on race car".... and then you had the cars that, to me, is what the OUSIC started with... which is the STUFF WE BUILD and drive....

Personally -- I'd do away with ANY first place anything -- and let the award be "just being there" and give every participant a plaque or trophy... They all deserve it! Then post up everybody's times for each event and let everyone root for/get satisfaction from whomever they want... then EVERYONE WINS just by being at the event - witnessing some of the coolest cars anywhere....

I have to say - watching the new stuff run -- was every bit as cool as watching any of the other cars... that CTS V just screamed... and it was really fun hearing it and watching it. Then you get to watch that killer "barn find" Chevy and on one corner you'd see fender skirts and dog dish hubcaps -- next turn it was no fender skirts and steelies.... LOL and watching that big ole car coming at me in the StopTech was... OMG! Your eyes said OMG that old clunker is hurling itself straight at me "is it going to stop?" and your brain was saying -- That thing is so kool!!

Last edited by GregWeld; 11-06-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM

I like the three class idea Greg.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
I like the three class idea Greg.
I like the NO CLASS idea.... Let each car stand for what it is... go out there and beat the bejesus out of 'em... you root for whatever turns you on... because they're all so different and they're all so kool.

You have old - new - pro built - unlimited money built - partly home built - huge power - crate motors - show cars - track cars - pro drivers and first timers. The only thing people don't like - is that "they're guy" didn't WIN. I beg to differ - if you asked the participants - I'd bet not one single person would complain about ANYTHING except that it wasn't a TWO DAY EVENT! HAHAHAHAHA

I guess what I just keep saying is -- EVERY ONE OF THEM IS FUN -- The event is fun. Everyone is a winner... the builders - the drivers - the spectators - the sponsors.... Isn't that the best result?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I guess what I just keep saying is -- EVERY ONE OF THEM IS FUN -- The event is fun. Everyone is a winner... the builders - the drivers - the spectators - the sponsors.... Isn't that the best result?
Well said Greg. This is the first time I have attended such an event and it was a blast. Saw a lot of cool cars and skilled drivers.

The difference between truth & fiction: fiction has to make sense.

Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31963