Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Supporting Member

Default Updating my 69 Camaro - update...

Reading Rybar's thread spurred me to make an update. The last several months have been a roller coaster. I first sold my 61 Nash Metro that I had just fully restored with only about 100 miles on it. Because I had applied for a job in Kodiak, Alaska. When I found out I didn't get it - I decided to turn my attention to some much needed updates to my 69. It is hard to believe that it has been nearly 10 years since I first started putting this car back together.

Here are the updates and issues:

1. The Vintage Air GEN II was leaking freon - and it was a great time to upgrade to a Gen IV.
2. Engine had a handful of oil leaks
3. Some items had begun to rust and fade (header ceramic, brackets..etc)
4. Brake rotors seriously warped still from the 2010 Midwest muscle car challenge
5. Engine in need of some...er uh....power upgrades

So, one thing led to another. The Gen IV Sure Fit was a challenge because of the extreme of my smoothed firewall and fact I had made some other modifications. I used the side cowl covers developed for the 48 hour camaro and the aereoquip EZ clip connectors.

I found out that there is a plug in the back of the crank on the LS - it is basically a freeze plug and mine was leaking.

Headers went to new black ceramic - as well as the steeroids mount and sway bar powder coating. I also replaced all of the under hood bolts with stainless button head from Fastenall.

I scored a used FAST LSXr 102 intake and 102 TB - and got a new GM 85 mm MAF - then set up a pair of Proform valve covers and relocated the coils to the back of the heads.....

This required changing to a single feed fuel rail (from the 98 Vette rail) using a 99-04 Corvette filter/reg. Also upgraded to a Aeromotive 340 fuel pump.

Topped it all off with a fresh tune from www.speedinc.com to push the rear-wheel HP to 390 from the prior 376.

The AC is stronger now and I have a functional glove box for once...I had to drill a hole through the firewall though to mount one side of it as the Gen IV has a whole different set up than the Gen II (for mounting). I love the aerequip lines. I also put a black condenser up front in place of the old bright aluminum one that looked odd behind the black grill.

So...for several thousand bucks...the overall car doesn't look that much different - but it picked up some more power - has an aggressive under the hood look - and blows stronger air. What's best...no more oil drips on the garage.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Supporting Member

the engine looked like this prior:

Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Supporting Member

I also took the stainless trim off the wheelwells - I didn't realize how clunky that made the car look.

The truth is the list is actually MUCH longer than this - as the "small stuff" like the Stage Eight header bolts...new trans cooler, LED lights, stereo change, relocated and custom fabricated the stereo sub...etc, just go on and on and on.

Now...I've got it running just in time to wind down the summer driving season here in Central IL.

I'm giving the car to my son when he is of age - so in another 9 or so years it will be going through this all again.