Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-28-2021, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,456 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevy View Post
Jody, are you gonna use Raingear for the hidden wiper system?
Yes, they finally have one for the 70 Chevelles.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
The Following User Says Thank You to camcojb For This Useful Post:
kwhizz (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
Yes, they finally have one for the 70 Chevelles.
Good deal!! I have it on my car too and I'm please with the install and the clean, hidden look as well.

Last edited by 214Chevy; 06-29-2021 at 12:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 214Chevy For This Useful Post:
camcojb (06-29-2021), kwhizz (06-30-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 05:26 PM

One thing to keep in mind about the raingear wipers... do they offer recessed park?

Most 68-72 Chevelles had recessed park wipers, which hides the wipers under the hood line and down on the stainless cowl trim when they're shut off. When they're running they move up out of the parked position and stay up on the glass until you shut them off, then they drop below the hood line and park on the stainless cowl/windshield trim.

DSE used to offer a recessed park wiper motor option for Chevelles but discontinued it years ago. Haven't seen anything other than a rebuilt original factory motor offer recessed park since then.

If the raingear wipers don't have recessed park, they're going to sit a few inches higher up on the glass even when they're off and won't be hidden below the hoodline compared to a recessed park OE wiper motor.

Something else to consider regarding the catch can and breather setup... with the breather tank now connected at the rear of the valve cover it might want to push a bunch of oil up into the catch can at high RPM / WOT when there will be the most oil in the valve covers and it's going to be pushed to the rear under acceleration, and any blowby is going to try and push it up the hose into the catch can. Gravity is on your side as the hose runs uphill from the valve cover to the catch can, but make sure the hole in the valve cover is baffled very well or you might have a real mess on your hands after a few WOT pulls. Been there, done that, have the bottle of simple green and a hose to clean it up...

Last edited by Blown353; 07-03-2021 at 05:31 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blown353 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (07-06-2021), syborg tt (07-10-2021), Vegas69 (07-03-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown353 View Post
One thing to keep in mind about the raingear wipers... do they offer recessed park?

Most 68-72 Chevelles had recessed park wipers, which hides the wipers under the hood line and down on the stainless cowl trim when they're shut off. When they're running they move up out of the parked position and stay up on the glass until you shut them off, then they drop below the hood line and park on the stainless cowl/windshield trim.

DSE used to offer a recessed park wiper motor option for Chevelles but discontinued it years ago. Haven't seen anything other than a rebuilt original factory motor offer recessed park since then.

If the raingear wipers don't have recessed park, they're going to sit a few inches higher up on the glass even when they're off and won't be hidden below the hoodline compared to a recessed park OE wiper motor.

Something else to consider regarding the catch can and breather setup... with the breather tank now connected at the rear of the valve cover it might want to push a bunch of oil up into the catch can at high RPM / WOT when there will be the most oil in the valve covers and it's going to be pushed to the rear under acceleration, and any blowby is going to try and push it up the hose into the catch can. Gravity is on your side as the hose runs uphill from the valve cover to the catch can, but make sure the hole in the valve cover is baffled very well or you might have a real mess on your hands after a few WOT pulls. Been there, done that, have the bottle of simple green and a hose to clean it up...
Good point on the wipers, sent an email to them and they do not have recessed park. Will have to decide how big a deal for me that is. Have had wiper arms that show on almost all the cars I've had over the years and it never bothered me, but when looking at 70 Chevelles nearly all have the hidden wipers.

Now you've also got me looking at baffled vacuum pump valve cover fittings. Seems like if it was at the front of the valve cover and if it can go in a lower oil flow area it'd be much better.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project

syborg tt (07-10-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 10:11 PM

When it comes to 68-72 Chevelle wipers typically only the stripper model / post / 300 deluxe cars had the non-recessed park wipers that parked up on the windshield when off, nearly everything else had the hideaway / recessed park wipers. I think I've seen less than 10 68-72 Chevelles in person with non-recessed wipers over the last 25 years or so.

The recessed park wipers also used a different driver's side wiper arm with double links and the transmission linkage inside the cowl is a bit different than a non-recessed park wiper car.

IMO a 68-72 Chevelle looks a bit goofy with non-recessed park wipers since they stick out above the hood line sitting up on the glass even when they're off. As far as I know there's no longer any updated / late model style aftermarket motor kits for Chevelles out there offering recessed park. That means you're stuck with using one of the large and rather ugly original or reproduction original style wiper motors if you want recessed park. DSE stopped offering their recessed park late model style motor for Chevelles many years ago (I heard it was for reliability reasons-- lots of failures, and now they can't even service or repair the recessed park kits they sold years ago so if you have one and it dies you're SOL.)

If you want to keep recessed park, you may be able to relocate a stock recessed park wiper motor over to the far left side of the cowl under the driver's side fender and build some extended linkage for it, but I'm not 100% sure it will work... never tried it myself.

If you keep the OEM recessed park motor but want intermittent / delay, if you search over on chevelles.com there's info how to make an adjustable delay circuit and switch that works with the OEM recessed park motor and doesn't try to park the wipers every time it does an intermittent pause... better than the off/low/high which is all you have to choose from with the factory switch.

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/ad...part-1.526153/

As far as the valve cover breather, what I've done on another car for cleanliness was locate the bungs and hose connection at the rear of the valve covers to be closer to the catch can but welded internal baffles/tubes that extended to the center of the valve covers, that way they're picking up crankcase vapors from the center of the valve cover and not likely to get covered by oil under either hard braking or hard acceleration. However, that was on an SBC with shaft rockers and tall valve covers that had enough clearance for the long baffle. LS valve covers sit very low and close to the rockers and there probably wouldn't be enough room to do that. If you have a vertical baffle out of the fill cap with enough height to it, it will probably work OK and not push oil into the catch can at WOT.

I'd say try what you have now, but check the catch can after a couple of WOT pulls and see if it's pushing excessive oil. You don't want to fill the can up and have it drip down on the exhaust manifolds.

Last edited by Blown353; 07-05-2021 at 10:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blown353 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (07-06-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 10:28 PM

Mounting the catch can on the core support seems to solve many issues and it keeps the back of the engine bay cleaner. I personally like the mechanics of the AN fittings and hose to the core support, but it's subjective.
camcojb (07-06-2021), syborg tt (07-10-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown353 View Post
When it comes to 68-72 Chevelle wipers typically only the stripper model / post / 300 deluxe cars had the non-recessed park wipers that parked up on the windshield when off, nearly everything else had the hideaway / recessed park wipers. I think I've seen less than 10 68-72 Chevelles in person with non-recessed wipers over the last 25 years or so.

The recessed park wipers also used a different driver's side wiper arm with double links and the transmission linkage inside the cowl is a bit different than a non-recessed park wiper car.

IMO a 68-72 Chevelle looks a bit goofy with non-recessed park wipers since they stick out above the hood line sitting up on the glass even when they're off. As far as I know there's no longer any updated / late model style aftermarket motor kits for Chevelles out there offering recessed park. That means you're stuck with using one of the large and rather ugly original or reproduction original style wiper motors if you want recessed park. DSE stopped offering their recessed park late model style motor for Chevelles many years ago (I heard it was for reliability reasons-- lots of failures, and now they can't even service or repair the recessed park kits they sold years ago so if you have one and it dies you're SOL.)

If you want to keep recessed park, you may be able to relocate a stock recessed park wiper motor over to the far left side of the cowl under the driver's side fender and build some extended linkage for it, but I'm not 100% sure it will work... never tried it myself.

If you keep the OEM recessed park motor but want intermittent / delay, if you search over on chevelles.com there's info how to make an adjustable delay circuit and switch that works with the OEM recessed park motor and doesn't try to park the wipers every time it does an intermittent pause... better than the off/low/high which is all you have to choose from with the factory switch.

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/ad...part-1.526153/
non recessed wiper gang here. Add Malibu to your list.

I personally think the recessed window stainless looks like an oversized belt to hold a belly in. lol.

Im not sure if wiring is different to convert from non recessed to recessed, I believe the switch is different and the motor is definitely different.
camcojb (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:32 AM

It's been a while since I've had one apart so I could be wrong, but I believe the dash switch is different but the wiring is the same between the non-recessed park and recessed park setups. The dash switch doesn't do the parking though, that's handled by an internal parking switch and cam inside the wiper motor that parks the wipers when you shut them off. And yes, the motors are totally different between the two setups.

And you're correct, the cars with recessed park wipers have a taller stainless windshield trim piece that sits about even with the hood and fender line. If I was putting an aftermarket non-recessed park wiper motor kit on the car I would switch to the shorter stainless trim piece for the cars that didn't have recessed wipers, otherwise the wipers would probably jump up onto the taller stainless trim piece at the bottom of every stroke.

Last edited by Blown353; 07-06-2021 at 11:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blown353 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Mounting the catch can on the core support seems to solve many issues and it keeps the back of the engine bay cleaner. I personally like the mechanics of the AN fittings and hose to the core support, but it's subjective.
Great idea Todd. I got so enamored with the simple clean MightyMouse brake master bracket I ignored moving it forward. I know there won't be any room on the drivers side with my A2W intercooler.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

syborg tt (07-10-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protour View Post
non recessed wiper gang here. Add Malibu to your list.

I personally think the recessed window stainless looks like an oversized belt to hold a belly in. lol.

Im not sure if wiring is different to convert from non recessed to recessed, I believe the switch is different and the motor is definitely different.
Can you post a pic for me? I haven't been able to find a good pic of the wiper arms down and the hood closed.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

Tags
70 chevelle, aeromotive, american powertrain, amsoil, baer brakes, borgeson, clayton machine, currie, dakota digital, eddie motorsports, forgeline, holley performance, hydratech, ididit, lateral-g, lokar, magnaflow, mcleod racing, mighty mouse solutions, modo innovations, morris classic concepts, painless performance, protouring, restomodair, roadster shop, rock valley antique auto parts, ron davis, texas speed, thermotec, tmi products, vintage air