Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-06-2015, 10:10 PM

Default Ghia Monster -- -- a little something to piss off the V8 guys

Been lurking around here for a long while and just finally decided to show off my build of three years.... I love anything that is off the beaten path -- the weirder the better... The smaller and lower the better --

So this project started after the wife had decided that I had consummated my relationship with my last project -- -- a 1960 Fiat 600 -- OK, I'll admit it here that I really loved the car -- -- it just had everything you'd ever want, factory suicide door and it only weighed 1400 lbs -- -- and when I saw this poor little POS I just had to bring it home

Anyway, I remember way back during the gasser days there was a bunch of these little bastards running around in D and E/GAS kicking everybody's ass -- Jumbo Shrimp,, Little Giant Killer, to name a couple of them, so I decided I wanted to build it with those in mind -- -- These were all powered with Air Cooled VW engines, so that is the way I went,,, and after a quick build it came out looking like this

I went through a few different engines before I I finally settled with a turbo'd VW engine and the car finally ran like I wanted it to...... and this is my favorite picture of the car LOL....

So the wife gave the ultimatum, either the car or her, so being the man-ass that I am, I sent the car packing but now I had a huge club to hold over her head forever LOL

So, I started looking for a new project -- -- I wanted to start playing at the track more and more and with all the drag strips here in SoCal barely hanging on -- so, I decided I wanted to go back to my roots and start doing auto-cross again.... So a street - 'track' car was in my future.... So I started looking around for just the correct project..... It took me a few months and then I saw this and knew it was 'IT'......

It was a former SCCA d/m car that had been raced in the 90's in Phoenix and Vegas -- the owner had decided to go open wheel racing and parked it in '98 and hadn't touched it until I bought it in 2012.....

It needed some serious updating and love, but I could see myself cruising the boulevard and carving some cones with it......
Old 12-06-2015, 10:33 PM

I ran through all the options for an engine and stumbled across this ACVW engine from the late 80's

This an ARPM cased 2989cc 4 cylinder -- yep a 3 liter VW -- -- It runs SBC pistons and small journal rods on a custom ground 90mm stroke crank -- it has custom barrels and really rare angle port heads

I built a custom intake for the engine, put a fuel cell into it, and then ....

I put a turbo on it --- BuuuHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

So through all the times of money and no time and time with no money,,, all the breaking of parts and updating this and that,,,, I finally got it all put together and here is how it is setting today.....

Last edited by Ghiaguy; 12-06-2015 at 10:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghiaguy For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-01-2018)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That is sic!! thanx for posting. My wifey's first car was a 73(?) Ghia, its one of the few "that got away"/......
Old 12-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

The dials really look good on there, very cool project!
Old 12-07-2015, 05:23 PM

Just the other day I was thinking an Outlaw styled Ghia would be pretty sweet. Nice project!

Dave
Old 12-08-2015, 08:24 AM

There's several really well done outlaw Ghia's out there -- the one with a Viper V10 -- the "Blue Momba" ,, which was at SEMA in 2013, I think,

and another really killer one out of Idaho -- the "NoGhia"

Last edited by Ghiaguy; 12-08-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:34 AM

Mine is still running the VW style suspension, highly tuned of course -- with big brakes and some big sway bars -- It works very well out on the course, but without a LSD, I was smoking the inside driver exiting all the turns......

I just had it all apart to put a LSD into the Bus trans and upgraded to a AEM EMS4 EFI setup -- --

The one thing AEM doesn't tell you that you've got to run a 12 tooth (MAX) crank trigger -- so after fighting my 32 tooth for about 2 months, I've had to special order a 12 tooth sprocket for my front (or rear, depending on you look at it LOL) pulley...

So waiting for the planets to align for that to get made. then back to WesTech in Mira Loma for the tune.......
Old 04-29-2016, 10:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4WAUmyKDq0
Old 05-20-2016, 01:03 PM

It's Story telling day and it's Baseball season (here in the states) and the final year of Vin Skully's 67 year career announcing Baseball -- -- Here are a few of the stories he interweaves into his broadcasts that makes him so great.......

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/04/27/...ll-a-story-day
Old 05-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Cant believe we missed this build thread. Your taste in cars is AWESOME and the ghia looks like it rips! What were the final power numbers?