Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 06-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Question Mustang susp/tire/wheel??

I am getting ready to start taking the '64 1/2 convertible I have back apart.

I want the pro tour look for it but don't have the time nor resources to do a SVT type mod like Bob is doing on his project.

Someone told me the coil over setup by TCP is no longer available. Does anyone know if this is true and/or can anyone offer their opinion on a good suspension system for these old Mustangs? I want to fit the largest tire and 17" wheels that I can in there without major bod mods.

Forgive my ignorance on this as I am a Chevy Camaro guy and this is my first Mustang (for the wife!)

Thanks for all replys,
Kel
Old 06-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Supporting Member

Chris Alston Chasisworks makes the TCP stuff now and you can find it here

Unique Performance is also offering competing product to TCP line.

W.

Last edited by 67Sally; 06-30-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:31 PM

William,

Thanks for the links.

Any comments on one or the other?

Anything else out there? I heard some negative things about the TPC setup (internet) but I'm not really sure it's founded or not.

I haven't really heard anything about the Unique setup.

Any idea what size tire do you think would fit with these setups?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Supporting Member

kel, I prefer the TCP equipment over the UP equipment but that is totally a basis from comparing the UP pictures to the TCP stuff that I have (I have all of the TCP stuff). I would say that most of the stuff that I have read about the TCP stuff on is fair (after all the ego and posturing is taken out of everyones comments). They are good bolt on parts (minor welding).

I do not think that the TCP or UP stuff will allow you to run wider wheels without other modifications to the car (fender lips and inner wheel tubs). If you minitub the rear I am sure that a 315 will fit. The TCP setup will only allow you to realize inboard space gains up to the stock frame rail position....to go farther inboard with the inner fender it seems that modifications to the TCP parts will be required in additions to frame rail mods.

As for other options there are the Griggs Racing setups.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:23 PM

im not sure about with those set ups... but with a granda disk, shelby droped control arm, and 620 springs with 1 coil wacked,,,, 17x8 with a 245/40/17 is all you can fit on the front.... the back you could probably MAYBE(with the right b.s.).... squeeze a 275 40 17.... with stock leafs/ lincon disk brake 9".... with 2" lowering block.

im a fan of being able to rotate tires...so i was running 245/40's all around.

speaking from personal expierinces....early mustang coupes are crap structure wise..... i can only imagine how bad a conv would be....so very high on your list of priorities should be frame connectors and torque boxes.

i started collecting parts to do sn95 front suspension/ torque arm rear.... but have decided to go the same approach as the "SN65" car... usung a 96 cobra platform. my 64 1/2 coupe has just been torn up too many times from abusing the car on a reg basis
Old 06-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Supporting Member

I have TCP and Global West on my three Mustangs. The 65 Mustang GT has all Global West with Delrin, the 1970 Grabber Blue Boss 302 has TCP front and back, the Grabber Yellow 71 Boss 351 has Global West. I would say both products are well made for these cars. Between GW and TCP, its hard to discern any differences but I like the adjustability of the TCP coilovers. I have not heard or experienced any problems like you mentioned, perhaps isolated cases? The car that handles best is the 65 Mustang and it has the GW but with TCP rack-n-pinion. It handles like its on rails. I reinforced the chassis on all cars with custom heavy subframe connectors, chassis bracing, engine compartment bracing, ect. If you have any questions, you can PM me anytime.
Attached Images

Last edited by 4mm; 06-30-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:40 PM

Thanks to both you guys for the feedback.

I appreciate the comments on the conv too however this car will be driven by my wife so I think there is little chance it will get abused!

Still, as most of us gearheads tend to do, where we can't leave well enough alone, I might go ahead and put the torque boxes on too.

Any pics you can share of the 245s all the way around?

Kel

Edit..thanks for the additonal response. What size tires and wheels are you running?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Supporting Member

Funny thing the Salt Flats pictured on the yellow Boss were originally for the Blue 70 Boss but they did not fit since the six piston wilwood hubs made the front track wider and the wheels stuck out and rubbed. When I put them on the 71 yellow Boss, they fit perfectly. They are 255ft and 275rr on 17's. I will be trying 295's since these models have more space.

On the 70 Blue Boss, I will be fitting 17's on the front and 18's on the rear with 255's ft and 285's rear.

The 65 Mustang has small 15" BFG drag tires for now since it is really low and the picture does not do it justice. It will be hard to fit 17's without raising it 2" or so.

You can fit larger with small mods but I did not want to since they are real Boss matching #;s cars.