Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 06-05-2014, 05:10 PM

Default 1980 Triumph TR7/ V8 (Dont Laugh)

Hi Guys!
I stumbled across this site trying to find answers to some suspension set ups. WOW! Is this information overload or what?! Absolutely awesome information.
Now onto my project.
its a 1980 Triumph TR& DHC (Convertible)
Car is in great condition less paint, top, and needing seat covers. (No rust or Lucas gremlins).
My goals for the car are to drive it to my shop a couple days a week. About a 6 mile jaunt on the highway. Just enough to give a nice spirited run to get the blood flowing.
I already have a 91 Ford 5.0 EFI engine. Its getting Aluminum AFR Heads to lighten it up. Front sub frame with suspension is being donated from a 2nd gen Miata. Brakes and suspension will be upgraded (That's why im here).
Transmission is a T5 speed.
Rear axle will be a Ford 8.8 cut down, geared to 3.83:1 gears with a fully adjustable 3 link set up. (was 4 link from factory) but since im going to install new mounting set up I may as well ditch the 4 and replace it with the better 3. Learned that from reading here this morning.
The overall goal of the car is to be able to go anywhere reliably, comfortably (for a sports car), see local autox use in the south west region, as well as track day. What level depends how much it actually costs to get involved in the sport versus how much I think it may cost. Not looking to be a champion, but I would at least have a reputation as a damn good competitor to the upper middle of the road guys.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:57 PM

First thing's first, WELCOME and WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!! See'n is Believing!!

Sounds like an ambitious project. I thought I saw a Triumph that was sold new with a Ford small block, thought it was late 70's or early 80's. Talked to the owner at a show in Santa Cruz CA, and they are a light and fast car. Didn't ask about the roll and twist of the car though.

What is the target weight and HP of the car?
And how are you going to stiffen up the car after all that hacking and replacing?
Can you keep the convertible top with the mods to the rear of the car?

and one more thing.....
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETON8R View Post
First thing's first, WELCOME and WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!! See'n is Believing!!

Sounds like an ambitious project. I thought I saw a Triumph that was sold new with a Ford small block, thought it was late 70's or early 80's. Talked to the owner at a show in Santa Cruz CA, and they are a light and fast car. Didn't ask about the roll and twist of the car though.

What is the target weight and HP of the car?
And how are you going to stiffen up the car after all that hacking and replacing?
Can you keep the convertible top with the mods to the rear of the car?

and one more thing.....
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!
Thanks for the welcome!
Pictures will come once I get everything actually in my own shop. I'm so booked with clients stuff right now I have no room. Even though I can probably place the car in the trunk of some of the 50's and 60's cars im restoring! haha!
The target weight of the car is to be as south of 2K lbs as possible. (its 2300 stock). The 225 stock HP 5.0 is actually more than enough for my goals, but I need to lighten it up the front end by 100 lbs to equal thw 4cyl weight. I am removing the front bumper (-25 lbs. Not kidding!)
I am also swapping out to aluminum heads which will lighten another 50+- lbs. And as a by product will add 75+- HP. My biggest problem will be traction out of the turns especially.
The Miata component swap isn't as big a deal as it sounds. The dimensions are very close to the TR7's. I may use either of the sub frames, or possibly fabricate one from steel tubing and powder coat it. I'm leaning more towards the fabricating avenue. It would look much better.
One of the many benefits of the TR7's short wheel base and and structure design is the car was actually made for a V8. Although it was only 133HP here and 155 in the UK. But its a good start. The fenders are welded to the front unit body so their pretty stiff. I will be running a strut brace from tower to tower and tie it into the firewall as well as the core support. I will also have an extended brace added to the front sub frame that connects to the lower portion of the core support.
I am planning on adding extra supports in the rear where the suspension mounting points are. There is going to be a single hoop style cage behind the seats. It will run down to the floor behind the seats and somewhere before or after the fuel tank (which is mounted behind the seats under the body and above and forward of the rear axle. There will be a brace added to the rear shock mounts that will run left to right.
Since I haven't taken the car apart yet I'm not sure where else I will need bracing. I may end up adding a few more frame to floor mounts if I feel there is a possibility of flex in the cockpit area. Especially since its a Drop Top.
If all goes well, I will be able to start disassembly and construction by the beginning of next month. (Fingers crossed)

*Edit* I'm going to have to read the instructions on posting pics on here. I have a few when I first picked up the car. The site asks for a url. I have them saved in a folder on my PC. Looks like a bit more reading is in order

Last edited by Mad Tiki Customs; 06-05-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Welcome - a good friend of mine has a Triumph Spitfire with a 5.0 & T-5. The Chassis & Nose of the car are lengthened

T.C.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tiki Customs View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

*Edit* I'm going to have to read the instructions on posting pics on here. I have a few when I first picked up the car. The site asks for a url. I have them saved in a folder on my PC. Looks like a bit more reading is in order
When Posting Pictures, go to the Additional Options Box below where you typing in the Message Text. There will be a Attach Files Section, Click on the Manage Attachments and it will give a New Box to Browse & Download your Pictures. Then Close that. On the Top of Message Text Box there will be there will a White Box labeled Attachments, Click that and your Downloaded Attachments will be there. Click on them and they will be inserted to your Post
Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Welcome - a good friend of mine has a Triumph Spitfire with a 5.0 & T-5. The Chassis & Nose of the car are lengthened

Ive seen some with V8 swaps as well. Very cool especially with the full front clip opening up to service it. Makes it much easier. Honestly, its way overkill (if there is such a thing in hot rodding) for such a tiny light weight car. But its the look on the peoples faces as they hear the rumble of a V8 coming from a GoKart
Which is why I am going the V8 route myself. The ultimate is over kill done right.

T.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
When Posting Pictures, go to the Additional Options Box below where you typing in the Message Text. There will be a Attach Files Section, Click on the Manage Attachments and it will give a New Box to Browse & Download your Pictures. Then Close that. On the Top of Message Text Box there will be there will a White Box labeled Attachments, Click that and your Downloaded Attachments will be there. Click on them and they will be inserted to your Post
I will give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome

Cool project. How much bigger is the SBF than the 215 ci Buick based motor that came in the TR8?

I'd get a photobucket or flicr account going since they make posting pictures and videos easy.

If you e-mail me your pics I'll post them for you in the interim.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETorino View Post
Welcome

Cool project. How much bigger is the SBF than the 215 ci Buick based motor that came in the TR8?

I'd get a photobucket or flicr account going since they make posting pictures and videos easy.

If you e-mail me your pics I'll post them for you in the interim.
The size of the 5.0 isnt much problem. Its almost a direct bolt in.
Seems the biggest challenge is the oil pan clearing the rack.
It also hangs about an inch lower than the sub frame. Thats a bit of a concern with a vehicle that has 3.5-4" of grond clearance in stock form.
The initial goal was with the Rover (buick) motor. It only weighs in at a little over 300 lbs! But being all aluminum, and reliability issues has changed me to the 5.0 instead. Plus theres a huge amount of aftermarket support as well.
The project is going to be pretty intense, so any way I can make it easier, I will.
I still havent taken delivery of the car yet. I only have a couple photos from the day i went to purchase it. I will be taking delivery of it middle of next month. Its being stored inside a clients shop for now. And the motor is at another clients shop. Hes onl around the corner from me so when I get the car i'll pick up the motor at the same time.
I do have a photo bucket account. I will upload pics to it and set up a link once the build starts.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 AM

We had this car show up and race with us at our third SCCA autocross this year. I didn't pay much attention to it until it took off from the start of the course. It had a V8 in it and sounded awesome!

I guess they put V8s in them for a year or two from the factory, who knew?

Anyway, welcome to the site, cool project...can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tiki Customs View Post
The initial goal was with the Rover (buick) motor. It only weighs in at a little over 300 lbs! But being all aluminum, and reliability issues has changed me to the 5.0 instead.
Huh, I always thought he 215 Rover was actually a Buick v6 with 2 additional cylinders. If I remember correctly didn't Buick actually build that v8 and put it in some of their cars at one time? In their day the Buick V6 was a motor to beat so I am surprised to hear about dependability issues with the Rover. I guess Rover can screw anything up if they are given the chance

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171