Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-29-2017, 10:17 PM

Little bit of progress, started the repairs on the cowl area, and coated it in a product called KBS rust seal. Very similar to POR15 and it has worked great so far for me.

It's a 3 part system, 1. Aqua Kleen ( Degreaser ) 2. Rust Blast ( Converter ) 3. Rust seal (sealer / top coat )

The Rust blast worked very well on what I would consider heavy rust, however it took a couple of hours of constant spraying and wire brushing and I used almost an entire bottle on just the side inner cowl area that is in the pictures above.

Regardless it worked great and the Sealer looks really nice and levels out nicely.

Also started striping the floor back to bare metal and coating with the KBS system. Didn't bother with the rust blast as it was completely bare metal, just the cleaner and sealer. Came out great and hopefully wont have to touch it ever again. Have left some areas un touched as they will be cut out when the floor pan tubs and firewall are replaced.

Little comparison, before during and after.

Bit more progress, done as much of the floor as i can, also painted the underside of the dash, parcel shelf and rear firewall in a semi gloss black. Will all be covered in dynamat anyway but a layer of nice clean smooth paint doesn't go astray.

Also used sikaflex 227 to seal up all of the panel seams, messy stuff! Didn't turn out too bad, i just need to go around with a razor blade and cut off any stringy bits.

Rust repairs will be finished this weekend hopefully, and i might take a saw tot he firewall as well if i have time, that will be a nerve racking experience haha!
Old 02-11-2017, 12:37 AM

Bit of progress, lower cowl area has been patched, sealed and the replacement panel welded in. Also quite proud of my seam sealing job, came out super neat. Ill be doing the same to the opposite side.

Also removed the firewall ready for a nice flat piece to replace it with a bead rolled pattern, the wiper motor hole will be filled in and the motor will be relocated behind the guard on the firewall where the 'X' is.

Parts shipment due this coming week, hopefully won't take too long to clear customs.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Good work on the seam sealer. Car is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 02-18-2017, 03:10 AM

Big score! Picked up a set of forgeline GA3Rs second hand for a great price. The offsets are to suit VE commodores / pontiac G8 so all i have to do is order a set of outer barrels to suit 315/335 tyre combo on the Camaro. Stoked!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:20 PM

So about 2 weeks ago the post man came.

Which contained some great bits of gear.

and finally a beautiful piece from Speedtech, it will be a shame to paint it but it just wont match the theme of the car.

My large order of parts including the subframe and torque arm also arrived which i'm yet to be able to un pack. However I did get sent this pic of the subframe.

Car is now at a workshop having the mini tubs installed, flat firewall made and a few other little bits and pieces.

After reading the G5R build thread on here about 100 times I decided to clean up the ATS aluminum spindles by removing the casting marks and having them bead blasted and clear coated by Greg Hogan aka CRISIS

Quickly hit them with some primer to make sure there weren't any deep marks left from the Dremel. First time 'detailing' parts like these, hoping to do a lot of the engine bay parts to go that little extra mile.

Keen to see how they turn out once I get them back from Greg, will be getting all my suspension parts and driveline painted in the coming weeks ready for mock up.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice update. Doing all those little extras make a noticeable difference in the finish product.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:39 PM

Very cool, and coming together pretty quick. That thing is gonna be nasty. I did some of the same mods to my second gen. Mine is still a long way from done though, you're smart not to paint it!

BTW, my wife and I visited Australia in December and loved it! I want to build a RHD Ute now. Although I will say it was awesome banging gears left handed in the rental. She couldn't do it though, too weird for her.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody80z28 View Post
Very cool, and coming together pretty quick. That thing is gonna be nasty. I did some of the same mods to my second gen. Mine is still a long way from done though, you're smart not to paint it!

BTW, my wife and I visited Australia in December and loved it! I want to build a RHD Ute now. Although I will say it was awesome banging gears left handed in the rental. She couldn't do it though, too weird for her.
Thanks mate! I'm looking forward tot he challenge of driving a LHD stick car, hopefully won't take too long to get a hang of it haha!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:37 AM

Bit of an update, got the spindles back from Greg which turned out perfect.

And I've spent the past few weekends painting all my suspension components and motor / box.

It all came out absolutely perfect with a finish as nice as a lot of exterior paint on new cars.

Both colours are from a Maserati, Grigio Alfieri is the lighter colour and Grigio Granito is the darker colour. All components are finished in high gloss with the exception of the motor and box.

First up we prepped and painted all of the smaller parts that i could fit in the car.

Then came the motor box and frame, unfortunately being in a rush to get this stuff out of the panel shop I didn't have a chance to get any decent photos.

Then we mounted the driveline to the frame to storage and transport. And fitted a few bits to see how it all works together!

Plan is to add a Drive Junky front accessory drive in brushed with Black anodized pulleys, and carbon fiber rocker covers. Should all tie in nicely.

Hoping to get the car back from having the tubs and firewall done soon, then ill work on prepping the underside for raptor liner and getting the diff chopped up to suit the 335 rear tyres which are waiting in the US for my new wheel pieces, headers, trans tunnel cover and drive junky setup.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:14 PM

Welcome aboard !.Looks like you are going to have an "interesting car when you are finish .especially a foreign car.Must best "fun" getting parts for your car.Good lick on your build,