...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 PM
colorado80439 colorado80439 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 160
Thanks: 41
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default LS7 Dry sump oil line routing

Hey I'm looking for some advise with oil lines for an LS7 swap into a 69 camaro with a DSE subframe. I'm looking to place the oil tank behind the inner fender well on the passenger side and not to sure about running the lines over the top of the inner fender well. looking for options
Thanks Dave
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Goosesdad's Avatar
Goosesdad Goosesdad is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 457
Thanks: 254
Thanked 189 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Hi Dave. I'm far from an expert here and certainly not an expert on doing this to a 69. That said, I just finished mock-up of this on my 70 and offer my path.
Some things to consider:
How to fill the tank...I ended up fab'n a remote fill tank and plumbed it to the oil tank with -12. Original plan was to do a remote port just inside on top of the firewall but I didn't place it very well and it ended up in a bad spot for filling...too close to the hood. Check out Steve Lenning's build, he did a good job with placement if you go this route.

How to check the level.....I used a Lokar locking dipstick and added an NPT port to the tank along with a guide tube inside the tank.

How to drain the tank....I plumbed a -10 line to a drain spout with a cap around the frame to the area right behind the subframe mount, safe from front tire debris. I haven't posted the pics of this yet but will soon.

Tank size... I used an AVIAID 2.5 gallon, 7.5"x14" tank.

Ports on the tank.....The inlet (top of the tank), should point directly straight down the line of fender. I would have had AVIAID move the lower port to 30 degrees toward the inside of the car, in relation to the upper line. The purpose here is to get the port pointed away from the inner fender so you have clearance for the 90 degree fitting to get the line headed up over the fender.


Creating the space for the tank.....my thread shows how I did it. There are a few others that have great details as well. Again Steve's is great and I know there are a couple guys that have details doing a 69, including Stielow.

__________________
Have a great day!
John

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 PM
CamaroAJ's Avatar
CamaroAJ CamaroAJ is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 835
Thanks: 98
Thanked 162 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Lines need to run low for a gravity feed so the pump works right. Lucky the LS7 pan has two drain bolts so you only have to worry about fitting the tank. Look
at Hellfire and Jackass 2.0 builds as to how Mark has put the tanks in that area.
__________________
Instagram- camaroaj
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CamaroAJ For This Useful Post:
colorado80439 (08-13-2019)
  #4  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Flash68's Avatar
Flash68 Flash68 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,123
Thanks: 55
Thanked 144 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosesdad View Post
Hi Dave. I'm far from an expert here and certainly not an expert on doing this to a 69. That said, I just finished mock-up of this on my 70 and offer my path.
Some things to consider:
How to fill the tank...I ended up fab'n a remote fill tank and plumbed it to the oil tank with -12. Original plan was to do a remote port just inside on top of the firewall but I didn't place it very well and it ended up in a bad spot for filling...too close to the hood. Check out Steve Lenning's build, he did a good job with placement if you go this route.

How to check the level.....I used a Lokar locking dipstick and added an NPT port to the tank along with a guide tube inside the tank.

How to drain the tank....I plumbed a -10 line to a drain spout with a cap around the frame to the area right behind the subframe mount, safe from front tire debris. I haven't posted the pics of this yet but will soon.

Tank size... I used an AVIAID 2.5 gallon, 7.5"x14" tank.

Ports on the tank.....The inlet (top of the tank), should point directly straight down the line of fender. I would have had AVIAID move the lower port to 30 degrees toward the inside of the car, in relation to the upper line. The purpose here is to get the port pointed away from the inner fender so you have clearance for the 90 degree fitting to get the line headed up over the fender.


Creating the space for the tank.....my thread shows how I did it. There are a few others that have great details as well. Again Steve's is great and I know there are a couple guys that have details doing a 69, including Stielow.

John, what is your engine setup again? I ask because some people have had issues running the small 2.5 gallon tank.... most run at least a 3 gallon.... pretty sure Stielow's are all 3 gallon or more.
__________________
1968 Camaro widebody project
2004 Mustang LS2 track car
2014 4 tap Keezer
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Matt@BOS's Avatar
[email protected] Matt@BOS is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,034
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
John, what is your engine setup again? I ask because some people have had issues running the small 2.5 gallon tank.... most run at least a 3 gallon.... pretty sure Stielow's are all 3 gallon or more.
Dave, the Peterson LS7 tank that 90 percent of the pro touring guys are running is a 2.5 gallon tank. I was a little concerned I'd need to go to a 3 gallon with the Dailey dry sump swap, but per Bill Dailey, the 2.5 gallon was okay. He was more concerned about total volume in the system.
__________________
http://bestofshowcoachworks.com

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-12-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
colorado80439 (08-13-2019)
  #6  
Old 08-12-2019, 07:09 PM
colorado80439 colorado80439 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 160
Thanks: 41
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
Lines need to run low for a gravity feed so the pump works right. Lucky the LS7 pan has two drain bolts so you only have to worry about fitting the tank. Look
at Hellfire and Jackass 2.0 builds as to how Mark has put the tanks in that area.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...psq7enrlm3.jpg

I guess my question is how/where do I run the line from the tank to the pan and keep positive gravity feed, I would like to go in front of the headers. Maybe a hard line passing through the subframe, I would like and easier route
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-12-2019, 08:29 PM
CamaroAJ's Avatar
CamaroAJ CamaroAJ is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 835
Thanks: 98
Thanked 162 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado80439 View Post
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...psq7enrlm3.jpg

I guess my question is how/where do I run the line from the tank to the pan and keep positive gravity feed, I would like to go in front of the headers. Maybe a hard line passing through the subframe, I would like and easier route
I think depending on the headers the lines do normally run in front of them. You can run them under the frame where it kicks up?
__________________
Instagram- camaroaj
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CamaroAJ For This Useful Post:
colorado80439 (08-13-2019)
  #8  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Goosesdad's Avatar
Goosesdad Goosesdad is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 457
Thanks: 254
Thanked 189 Times in 105 Posts
Default

What do you guys think about running the tank outlet line up and over the inner fender? Pressure issues?
__________________
Have a great day!
John

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 PM
Flash68's Avatar
Flash68 Flash68 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,123
Thanks: 55
Thanked 144 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Dave, the Peterson LS7 tank that 90 percent of the pro touring guys are running is a 2.5 gallon tank. I was a little concerned I'd need to go to a 3 gallon with the Dailey dry sump swap, but per Bill Dailey, the 2.5 gallon was okay. He was more concerned about total volume in the system.
Maybe so, but with a serious build I would make a 3 gallon fit. There are 3 known places where guys have placed the 3 gallon tank on 1st and 2nd gen Camaros. And with a serious build I wouldn't mess around. That's me.
__________________
1968 Camaro widebody project
2004 Mustang LS2 track car
2014 4 tap Keezer
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Matt@BOS's Avatar
[email protected] Matt@BOS is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,034
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Maybe so, but with a serious build I would make a 3 gallon fit. There are 3 known places where guys have placed the 3 gallon tank on 1st and 2nd gen Camaros. And with a serious build I wouldn't mess around. That's me.
No doubt! More volume is always better.

With regard to this post, if "behind the inner fender" means cut into the cowl, then I'd recommend going with a 3 gallon as well since you're going through the trouble of making something fit.

On a side note, I'd be curious to know if Steilow added to the Peterson reservoir on his builds. All of the ones I remember seeing mounted the dry sump against the core support, and if my memory serves, they were all 2.5 gallon because there is no room to go any deeper.

Matt
__________________
http://bestofshowcoachworks.com

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net