Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Default Ford 8.8 in a Nova?

Hi guys! Im new to this forum and looking for some rearend suggestions.
I am currently in the build of a 71 Nova. Not exactly what You are building over there . Due to requirements to register it as a historic car i can't run too "modern" suspension parts. So here is my setup. Hotchkis 3" springs front and back, front springs are shortened 1/3 coil, G-Mod, stock A-Arms, four wheel discs, 383/700 combo. I have the 8.2 10 bolt rear in it and want to replace it with a ford 8.8. Thats the rear end i can get for a reasonable price... Living in germany didn't make getting parts easy... It's out of a mustang and has the 4-Bar links still on it. Would You change the leafs for a 4-Bar setup? Which spring rate do You recommend for this one? Car will be mostly street driven, but i do a lot of driving windy roads in the hills here....

Thanks for Your help!

Some pics of the build:
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 AM

A lot of guys are using the Ford 8.8 in the 1st and 2nd Gen Novas. I have not heard of anybody using them in the 3rd gen.
If you can find it in Germany I would see if you can find an 8.8 from an, I believe they start in, '96 or newer Ford Explorer. Those are Posi, 11" disc brakes, and have either 3.73 or 4.10 gears in them from the factory. They also already have pads for leaf springs.
I bought one that I was going to use in my '63 from a 2000 but, it would not work with my TCI torque arm rear suspension. It cost me $250 which included an extra short axel so I could narrow it some more.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Thank You for Your reply! You can get anything "old" over here. If You are willing to pay the price... But with newer models it isn't that easy. Explorer parts is near impossible. I can go with the stang 8.8, do the mods needed and will be ok. Main question is the suspension. Should i stay with leafs or do the work and change to 4 link?