Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Thinned Solid Alum Body Mounts?

I'm planning on converting my 1965 Chevelle to solid Alum body mounts. Has anyone had their mounts machined to a thinner height to get the body closer to the frame?

I'm planning on going with these parts from ABC Performance:

http://abcperformance.net/body%20mounts.html

What would be the disadvantage of eliminating the body mounts? I plan on converting to rack and pinion along with routing the fuel and brake lines through bulkheads instead of on top of the frame.

Designing a '65 Chevelle with a StreetFighter theme, inspired by JP's II Much & Ron Schwarz's $5k Mustang
Old 01-16-2012, 05:35 PM

I just read on one of the forums recently where they could cause some fitment issues and a lot of those that posted wished they would have gone with the standard height. Can't remember details but hopefully you'll get some responses, if not it would be worth some searches. I believe it was on early Camaros so it might not affect your car.

Last edited by narlee; 01-17-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 PM

I have the Global West aluminum mounts on my 73 Camaro. They sell 1/2 in. drop mounts but I bought the standard height ones and later decided to take them down so I took .500 off of them. I thought about eliminating them completely but decided to keep them because of the way they sandwich together to keep the frame in place. I figured it would just be easier to turn mine down then reinvent the wheel. When I put the subframe back in the car I realized that I coudn't eliminate them anyway because the subframe touches the floor in spots as it is and so does the transmission crossmember. The car isn't finished so I haven't been able to drive it to see if this is a problem but I can't see why it would be. You'll have to figure out where the tightest spot between your body and frame is and that will determine how much you can take off the mounts. As far as advantages and disadvantages, the biggest disadvantage I can see is losing a half inch of clearance under the hood. This might not even be a problem for you anyway but it is for me. The major advantages I see are a lowered CG and a lowered ride height without sacrificing ground clearance, on top of the other advantages of having solid body mounts. I don't know if any of this applies to your car at all but hopefully my experiences can help you a little.