Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Default Ridetech G Body Rear Coilover Install

This is my write up of the Ridetech Chevrolet G Body rear bolt on coilover kit. I performed this install in my home shop on a Rotary 10,00lb lift.

**I will have the comments associated with the given picture above the pictures**

The boxes as they came in.

The boxes all unpacked. This is the front and rear coilover set up's.

This is my old set up. Vari-shocks and CPP coil springs #603-4. This set up provided an amazing stance but horrible ride and handling!! I was pretty much bouncing off the bump stops.

Old set up gone. I know..I know...I need to clean up the underside of my car!!! lol

Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 PM

This is the underside view of the top bracket provided by Ridetech. I thought it was a nice touch that the logo was on it!!

Top bracket is installed. **be sure to follow the instructions on the top bracket b/c it faces a certain way**

This is a view of their bottom bracket.

I wanted to test fit the hardware Ridetech provided and found out that the bolt used to mount the lower bracket was a hair to big for my lower control arm.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM

The bolt on the left is the 1/2" bolt that Ridetech supplied with the kit and the one on the right is the 12mm bolt that was supplied with the control arms (Curr-Trac Lower Control Arms)

12mm

1/2"

I called Ridetech and they sent me out the correct length 12mm bolts in no time at all!!!! Great customer service over there!!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Driver side lower bracket installed

Passenger side lower bracket installed

This is a view of the support bolt that also holds on the lower bracket.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM

It does look like the lower brackets are close to my wheels. My rear wheels are 18x10.5 and there is about .75 inches between the bracket and tire.

This is a pic of the bushings that need to be used on the shock eyelets so the 1/2" bolt can be used.

And here is a pic of the shock bolts that Ridetech provided. The one on top was provided by Ridetech and is 2.5 inches long. It worked but didn't provide enough thread engagement for my likeing so I got some grade 8 bolts that were 2.75 inches long. These worked out prefectly!!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 PM

This is a pic of the set up installed with the supplied brackets.

To get my desired ride height I had to turn the bottom spanner all the way down. This was not desireable because if I ever caused the suspension to unload enough the spring could have popped out of the spring cups...and that's a bad thing!

I drove it like this around the block and zip tied the spring to the upper mount so it would not pop out of the spring cup.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 PM

To remedy this situation Darren at Ridetech thought outside of the box and sent me some A body upper coil over mounts. These mounts are actually a t-bar set up and are very similar to a factory G body upper shock mount.

Here is a jig that I came up with to compare the two mounting solutions. The A body set up is on the left and the supplied G body set up in on the right.

Here are the T-bars and the spring clips that keep them in the shock eyelet. They are tricky to install but a small screwdriver took care of them no problem!!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 PM

The factory upper shock mounting holes were too small and had to be drilled out to 3/8"

Before

After

This is with the upper mounts all installed. Follow the directions for the A Body mounts because the stress the fact to be sure to mount the bolts from the bottom up!!!. Ridetech supplied 1.25" long bolts but like the shock bolts I went with a little bit more thread engagement and got 1.5" bolts.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 PM

This is how much travel I now have at my desired ride height. For what it is worth the top of my rear fender is 26.75" from the ground and that's with a 295/35/18 tire on a 18x10.5 rim.

Ridetech says that these shocks should be between 13.5-14.5 inches from eye to eye at ride height. That lenght is in the shocks "sweet spot".

Pic of the final product.

Cool view from the rear of the car...those coilovers look good under there!!!

I am very impressed with this coil over kit. The difference in ride quality and handling is night and day!!! The guys at Ridetech really helped me out with the ride height issue and got me to where I wanted to be. I couldn't be happier with this product! The springs and shocks are 100% A+ quality and they are made in America...which just makes it that much better!!!

Feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 PM

Wow...I totally forgot the pics on how to put these darn coilovers together!!!!

Pic of the seperated shocks and springs, which are 200lb springs.

Much better pics of the upper and lower brackets in the G Body kit.

Upper spring cup/retainer

Lower spring cup/retainer/spanner