Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 03-15-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Now that, I can help you with!

Andrew
Just as a followup, we did the switch to the Dominator setup and, as expected, its working great!
Old 03-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
Just as a followup, we did the switch to the Dominator setup and, as expected, its working great!
Excellent. The set-up on either the Dominator or the HP is pretty straightforward.

Andrew
Old 07-06-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowProgress View Post
Hey Andrew. Here is a photo from the build thread.

The Fan part number is 23455465. I think others have said it is around 850W at maximum, so around 70A roughly. I am sure there are other connectors out there but I was sort of hoping to find this one.
Hi SP,

When I look up this part number on the various GM part sites, it shows up as an ATS-V fan, and the picture looks quite different than the fan you show. And for some reason none of the sites list parts for the 2016 CTS-V. If you get a chance to double-check that number, I'd appreciate it - looking to use the same fan on my latest upgrade.

Do you know if this is the fan Stielow used on JA? It looks pretty similar ...

Edit: The local dealer also lists this as the part number for CTS-V, so I went ahead and ordered one. I guess I should know those pictures won't always match up Sorry for any bother.

Scott

Last edited by PTAddict; 07-06-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
Wondering if anybody has troubleshooting advice for the PWM signal coming from an E38 ECU? I'm not seeing any PWM signal coming out from X1 pin 58.

I took my multimeter and put black probe to DkGrn wire coming from X1 pin 58, and red probe to battery positive terminal, and set to DC volts. Turning key on I can see the voltage go up to about 1.2V but regardless of toggling fans and duty cycle in HP Tuners I don't see any change. I would expect to see either ~5V or ~12V across here but do not. I didn't even bother to switch my multimeter over to duty cycle measurement, but assumed without the higher voltage its not working.

Any ideas on further troubleshooting? Pin 58 is a ground PWM signal correct?
PWM fan output is frequency output - will not be able to 'measure' with voltmeter.

Cal also needs to be set to PWM output and frequency matched to PWM controller. All E40, E38, E67, E92 (and most all other GM ECM's from recent years) are capable of PWM fan control.

BTW - GM crate controller wiring joins fan1 and fan2 outputs to relay - need to separate to send fan1 only to PWM controller.

Dave
Old 07-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAddict View Post
Hi SP,

When I look up this part number on the various GM part sites, it shows up as an ATS-V fan, and the picture looks quite different than the fan you show. And for some reason none of the sites list parts for the 2016 CTS-V. If you get a chance to double-check that number, I'd appreciate it - looking to use the same fan on my latest upgrade.

Do you know if this is the fan Stielow used on JA? It looks pretty similar ...

Thanks for any info,

Scott
ATS-V and CTS-V fans are same - except for where wiring harness to fan is located (hence the different part numbers).

Yes - this is fan used by Mark on JA2.0.

Dave
Old 07-11-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikels View Post
ATS-V and CTS-V fans are same - except for where wiring harness to fan is located (hence the different part numbers).

Yes - this is fan used by Mark on JA2.0.

Dave
Dave,

So the above mentioned fans have the controller built in, is that right?

Andrew
Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 PM

If anyone is trying to score a C6 fan controller at the junk yard, you can also look for 2006-2009 Ford Fusions. They use the same controller and it won't have a "Corvette Tax."

Andrew
Old 08-03-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowProgress View Post
That looks like it. I am interested in the shell, seals, large terminal and the small PWM terminal for the mating side (socket side). See slightly better photo below.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott or Scot,

Anyone care to post the information on this connector? Manufacturer? Series? etc...?

Andrew
Old 08-03-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Scott or Scot,

Anyone care to post the information on this connector? Manufacturer? Series? etc...?

Andrew
If it's the same connector that the SPAL brushless uses it's a Yazaki connector, I tried to source one without much success so I just bought the SPAL version which is assembled by Chief Enterprises
Attached Images

Last edited by erick_e; 08-03-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:31 PM

So I found some interesting information regarding the C6 fan controller and the Yazaki connectors. Someone on YB reported that the 2006-2009 Ford Fusion uses the same controller as the C6. So I went to the Pull-A-Part and their inventory showed two in stock. One had the whole front end missing, so that was a bust, but the other was mostly intact and had the radiator removed and was sitting on the engine, as if presenting itself. Low and behold, on the fan shroud was a very familiar finned aluminum box. I had to borrow a T25 Torx, but after a minute I had the controller off. The connector at the controller looked exactly like the Kostel connector that we've been sourcing from Mouser. On the power feed side was a mondo Yazaki male connector. Of course on the chassis wiring side was a matching female connector. I scored the whole thing, took it home, plugged it into my Cougar and it worked perfectly.

Today I went back and got the female Yazaki connector from the Fusion that had the front end missing. These connectors are super robust and by the accounts here, should fit the new CTSV/ATSV fans with the built in controller.

Now, if we can only find the part numbers for the large female terminals, then we will be all set!

Andrew