Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 05-22-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsgarage View Post
I'm glad this is taking off. The Haltech and AEM I wouldn't say are as user friendly as some of the stuff out there. The Holley stuff is really dummy proof with new users and generic tuning.

Maybe you haven't used the AEM Infinity. It's extremely user friendly. I've done a half dozen so far and it's easy to set up. I just loaded a very generic VE each time and they all fired right up and actually ran quite well right away.

The Haltech, MS3PRO and BS3 are more detailed tuning. The average joe may not go as deep as those do, but they have the options for it.

If you're discrediting the BS3, it's because you haven't used it. The guy that designed it was the author of EFI boxes for a bunch of companies. Including FAST. He left for obvious reasons. He knows his stuff and heavily supports GMs (as mentioned). I've been very happy with his interfaces and tuning potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes John Meaney is very knowledgeable. One of his first stints was at Accel, then Speed Pro(FAST). I understand years ago he was at Holley for a short time as well. I guess he works best on his own.
But I didn't see any of the new features that would enhance drivability. The BS3 is very good, no doubt. But in my experience it doesn't give the drivability than even a nearly 20 year old Accel Gen 7 will. Imo that was probably Johns best work.

Last edited by supremeefi; 05-22-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:44 PM

this is all great info thanks. Im subscribed
Old 06-03-2017, 11:37 AM

on holleys site, it says that pwm are built in/ come with it... Can I use these pwm to run the fans?
Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr View Post
on holleys site, it says that pwm are built in/ come with it... Can I use these pwm to run the fans?

It should be able to do PWM fan control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 09:58 AM

I ran across this old thread and thought I'd give an update on the AEM Infinity 508 I installed with my fairly big cammed Ford motor.

Some irritations - AEM made a mis-marked harness that switched the cam and crank sensor connections. I had to bring a scope home from work to figure out why I was having problems getting it to run. Small cable assy mistake made by AEM that burned a lot of my time. Not super stable for using with windows 10 - seems to disconnect a lot but windows 7 on another computer is solid. Hopefully it's something they improve on with new FW releases. The manual is OK but not super detailed so getting guidance from their techs and forum is needed to understand all the capabilities and set up approaches. Unfortunately the forum is down right now. Not as heavily used as the Holley so harder to find guidance and info from other sources.

Good stuff - Once I found and fixed the harness problem it was pretty easy to get going and running reasonably well at idle and midrange and above even with a big cam. I expected more tuning to be needed for a big cam at lower rpms and it has enough capability for that. Adjustments in the VE and timing tables are super easy to do. The techs are responsive to emails. There are a good number of baselines to start from that will get it up and running. Except for the cam/crank harness that was mis-marked the quality of the cable assemblies is very good and the Deutsch connectors used are reliable, solid and easy to assemble ( better than weatherpack).

Overall - It works for me being an engineer but it has pros and cons just like everything. If you are technically savvy it's a good choice but if you need more technical support and guidance one of the more widely used options might be better.
1970 1/2 Z28 project car
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funcars For This Useful Post:
572Camaro (02-21-2021), camcojb (02-20-2021)