Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 08-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Great thread guys. I began my road back to fitness about 4 years ago. After many years of eating out and working in front of a computer, I was 39 years old and 210 lbs. My initial goal was to be under 200 lbs. by my 40th birthday. Since then, I've dealt with cancer including multiple surgeries, chemo and radiation. I can tell you first hand that exercising and eating right will definitely help get you through those challenges. I'm now 43 years old and weigh 170 lbs. (my college weight) at approx. 12% body fat and I've never felt better. My current lifestyle includes:

1) 30-minute high intensity workouts with a personal trainer (2-3 per week)
2) 3.5 mile runs twice per week
3) Eating 6-7 times per day - small meals
4) High protein, low carb diet plan (but I cycle my carbs higher 2 days per week)
5) I try to completely restrict intake of refined sugars and wheat products (bread and pasta) and get most of my carbs from veggies, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and lower-sugar fruits. However, I allow myself to eat whatever I want on Saturdays after lunch time.
6) I try to set intermediate goals every 6-8 weeks to keep motivation levels up. Goals have ranged from training for a run, to reducing body fat %, to losing x pounds for a specific event.

Good luck to all of you in achieving your health goals. This car thing can only be enjoyed if you are healthy enough to partake.

--Neil

Last edited by Neil B; 08-16-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Neil, you have it figured out. Glad to hear you are feeling fantastic!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:56 PM

Crossfit is dubious in my experience. There's some awful form demonstrated on many of the lifts and very little training of how to do things properly, essentially a load of injuries waiting to happen.

Many people are in great shape from doing it, but I bet they were already in great shape.

It's fashionable for some mad reason, but then if that kind of training appeals then go for it.

I think you'd get more from a decent proven weightlifting routine with a mixture of mountainbiking and "fun" sports.

I mentioned him already in this thread, but Dan John, has tried it all and is very entertaining http://danjohn.net/
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
Crossfit is dubious in my experience. There's some awful form demonstrated on many of the lifts and very little training of how to do things properly, essentially a load of injuries waiting to happen.

That was my point in post #269....

The sports med doc said it was the best thing that ever happened to her business!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 PM

Picked up a copy of the Compound Effect. Read the 1st two chapters and I'm already motivated for the change ahead.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCRFT78 View Post
Picked up a copy of the Compound Effect. Read the 1st two chapters and I'm already motivated for the change ahead.
That's great Jose.

It changed my life and I'm not afraid to say it. Make sure you actually write down the answers at the end of the chapters and underline the parts that really hit home. I've read it 4 times and read my underlined sentences countless times. I'm rereading Jim Rohns book "7 Stratagies for Wealth & Happiness" right now as well. It's a great next book for you. I've become a big fan of his as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 PM

Thanked 1,542 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
That was my point in post #269....

The sports med doc said it was the best thing that ever happened to her business!
every few years the Fitness people come up with some great idea's

Reebok Step - was a Podiatrists Dream not to mention and Orthopedics dream.

Okay if your truly looking for a great book all about strength and conditioning the real way and trust me this will be something you can actully do for a life time. Jack LaLanne was about trianing with his body weight.

Convict Conditioning

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 PM

So I just stumbled across this and read through it all. I'm 39 and have been watching my weight slowly go up and my pants size go up. I even started buying expandable waist pants and telling myself I was still a 36" even though they were starting to feel tight all the way stretched out. I had been floating around 215 at 5' 11" and even 218 one time I weighed.

I am away from home work 13+ hours a day between work and commute ,and have infant twins and a 6yo. Gym time is just not going to happen. I have been telling myself I need to do something for the last year but never found the inspiration.

July 12' it was announced we were having a biggest looser contest at work with a weigh in July 15. $50.00 buy in winner take all the last day of August. I said what the heck. July 14 I went to the steak house and had my last meal of my old life. 12 of us signed up and we were off.

I did not smoke or drink but I used to eat 3 large meals a day with dessert at least twice a day mixed in with 2-4 Dr Peppers. I walked a lot work probably 3-4miles a day walking back and forth in the shop but no other physical activity.

I will admit my week was hell. My average day would be french toast sticks and a breakfast sandwich, Bacon Cheese Burger for lunch and a giant plate of spaggetti for dinner. I now have yogart with banana and granola, grilled chicken garden salad and a reasonable dinner. Changed DP to Unsweet tea and apple pie to an apple with peanut butter.

I also started running every other night after the babies are in bed. I live on an 1/8 mile street. The first night it almost killed me to jog to the end and mix running and walking 4 laps to the end and back. After only a month I am running the first 3 trips there and back and have upped the laps to 6.

As of this morning I was at 193.4 lbs 21 lbs lighter than I was 4 weeks ago.

I started this all hoping to win the money and maybe loose a few lbs. Now I don't even care. That $50.00 I spent may be the most important money I have spent in my life. I feel better, my stretched 36" pants have to be tightened 3 belt loops to stay up and strangest thing is I already don't really miss all my favorite old foods.

Richard J.
If only I had the time talent and money to build everything in my head
Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Absolutely AWESOME!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 AM

^^ Yeah that's great to read!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer