Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-21-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
So, that was a pretty fun weekend overall. This was my third Good Guys event and my first one with the new Street Machine rules which limit front tire size to a 285 max.
What is your current wheel sizing info? I know you started w/some 17x9.5's w/5.0"BS. I was re-reading back through the posts to see if any changes were made when you updated/swapped wheels but haven't found the info yet.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotI View Post
What is your current wheel sizing info? I know you started w/some 17x9.5's w/5.0"BS. I was re-reading back through the posts to see if any changes were made when you updated/swapped wheels but haven't found the info yet.
The new Forgelines are 18 x 9.5 w/5.0 backspace on all four.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Nice work man, sounds like a super fun weekend overall. Car seems to be doing really well.

You are getting my interest up in heading south for a Goodguys event to tryout their autocross.

Thanks for the write up.....and getting your car out and using it.

Sean
Old 03-21-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
The new Forgelines are 18 x 9.5 w/5.0 backspace on all four.
Thanks for the info & the posts sharing all your efforts/mods.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Started placing orders for parts today... The next stage of development is in the works.

It is strange to be pulling the car apart in April while all of my friends are just now getting their season started...but I've raced hard for the last 8 months and wore out a brand new set of tires since Sept 2018. It's time for a bit of a break...and to take a step back and take care of some things that need addressing.

A couple of events ago an old problem reared it's ugly head once again, the seal between the top plate and the body of the carburetor failed and now has the engine running VERY rich at the most inopportune times. I first noticed the delay in throttle response at the Good Guys event and then the last SCCA race of the year Keith and I struggled with keeping it running at idle and dealing with a slight delay in corner exit throttle. I watched him idle at the start line with black smoke just pumping out the tailpipes and made my decision. It is time to add EFI.

The Quadrajet has served me well, Bob built me a beautiful carb and in a perfect world...I'd leave it on. Operator error caused this issue the first time and it worked well for two years after the band-aide fix by Bob. With my new location here and the ability to race at elevations from Sea level up to 4500 feet within hours, I need a fuel delivery system that will comply with different oxygen levels easier.

Here is what I've chosen, starting from the fuel pump. After a LOT (and I mean a WHOLE LOT) of deliberation, I've decided to try the Holley EFI Muscle car tank (actually a Tanks Inc setup) that comes with a deeper cell, separate holes pre-drilled for sending unit and fuel pump\pickup and a 4.3 lt sump for the pickup to sit in.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/19-144

This will attach to my stock fuel line in a returnless type setup headed to the throttle body and the vent will attach to the vent line that runs up to the charcoal canister. The pump being internally regulated lets me dead head the fuel line at the throttle body and allows for a more plug n play install.

For the throttle body itself, I chose the Terminator EFI 4 bbl Throttle Body kit. This will sit on top of an Edlebrock Single plane high rise intake manifold. The main reason I chose the Terminator is because of the separate ECU which I can mount in a safe place and attach a laptop to for very fine tuning once I get it all up and running. The Sniper setup was a close second but I think I'll like the Terminator setup a bit better even though it's a bit more involved to install.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-405

Lastly, I spent the last day or so watching videos and researching ignition setups...trying to find the best reliable easy to setup ignition that the Terminator ECU can control the timing on. I was looking at the Holley Dual Sync and Hyperspark distributor setups and during one install video I noticed that setting up the dual sync is almost exactly the same as what I went thru to set up my MSD Pro-Billet Distributor that my 6AL-2 controls the timing on now. After a bit more investigation I discovered that I can in fact use my MSD Pro Billet distributor and 6AL-2 with the Terminator. This made me happy as I KNOW it works plus I don't have to lay out the cash and spend the time setting it all up once again.

I have found a local tuner with vast knowledge of this software and access to a dyno, so I'll most likely have him fine tune everything once all of the self learning is done and I've got some miles on the setup. It'll be interesting to see how a leaner WOT and that single plane intake will help my top end power.

So, the parts are ordered...hopefully most will be here before the end of the week and I can prepare to start laying things out. I am going to make some other changes as well like moving the O2 sensor up into the header collector and adding V-Band connectors to the header flanges and exhaust as well as trying a new better header gasket for between the flange and the head. I am also going to move the MSD and coil out from under the dash back into the engine bay to try to stop the interference with my Dakota Digital Dash that makes it read 15 MPH while sitting still.

My goal as always is for this upgrade to not take the car down for more than 2 weeks...which will require a lot of pre-planning. Wish me luck!!
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
Goosesdad (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:10 PM

Default Going FI

So, you're not going port FI? Does this setup have enough juice to fuel your HP level without maxing the injectors? Specs on the tank say it only good to 550HP on EFI @60psi. Can you put a higher capacity pump in it?
It certainly should give you pretty much instant throttle response and infinite control over your inputs, as well, like you said, being able to run various different altitudes pretty much the same. I know you'll keep us posted!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!

Last edited by rixtrix1; 04-16-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 PM

If Edlebrock had their Etec mpfi intake available I probably would have, but it's not in stock and no expected ship date. My fastburn heads are awesome, but they sure made this process more difficult.

This TBI flows 950 cm and is good for 600 hp which I'm nowhere near.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:10 PM

So I have 4 coolant temp sensors currently wired up on my engine...and I can only think of 3 that I need. Anyone have any idea why I ended up with 4?

I'm game planning on where to put the new coolant temp sensor for the EFI (which will let me delete any that are electric fan related) but I'm not ready to disassemble the car just yet.

First is in Passenger side head, pretty sure it was the last one I added and is the cooler of my fan switch sensors.

Second is in the Driver side head, pretty sure it is for my Dakota Digital Dash

These two are in my Thermostat housing, pretty sure one of them is the second switch for the high speed fans, the other, have no clue...

What the hell would I need a 4th one for? It sucks to get old!!
Old 05-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

You should only need ONE —- for the ECU — it should be capable of supporting TWO fans set at different temps etc.... and it should have an output for the digital dash...

Not familiar with that particular ECU - but it should be capable of doing all kinds of stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-02-2019, 03:58 PM

But then I'd just have to find plugs to plug all those holes back up!!

I'm not sure if this ECU has an output for the Dakota gauges to use or not. Prefer to not mess with the dash wiring if I don't have to...as I know it already works.