Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Default Let's talk Swimming Pools, Please!

Hi there fellas.. My wife and I have been graced with 4 beautiful healthy kids.
Our home at 4,266 sq. ft. is paid for. She has a new 2013 JX35 and I have a nice ride too, which I intent to paint in the next couple of months.
Ever since We began to build our Home 14 years ago... when all we had was the house plans and 2 joined empty lots, we had envisioned where and how our pool would look like. Well, this last weekend we talked about having pool company come in and build our in ground pool. The last 4 years our jobs have granted us with the luxury of being able to say... we can do it now! Thank God...

Hard work really pays off, let me tell you. More often than not it takes more than a HS Diploma to be successful in life. Yes one can get lucky, catch a break and earn 6 figures on a HS Diploma, but it's a hell of a lot easier with a Bachelors deg. and less than 10 years.

So entertain me with some pool info...!

Post up what you got..

Pool Company

Pictures

Pool size in Sq. footage

Cost $

weekly maintenance

Anything that would help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM

I don't have any pics to post, but I spent 2 years building pools in Las Vegas in the mid-90's so I've got some experience on the topic. Are you looking for something fairly simple, or something elaborate with a spa, rockwork, waterfalls, etc?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Yes sir.. I live in Houston. Looking for something with slide/waterfall and boulders or stone work.. palm trees the whole works..

Pm me or post up some more info please!

I need a quote for something in the 30k to 40K range

Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM

Blue tile and bull nose coping are mandatory.

67 Camaro
383/ 700r4

57 F100
289 / C4
Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdr.Instigator View Post
Yes sir.. I live in Houston. Looking for something with slide/waterfall and boulders or stone work.. palm trees the whole works..

Pm me or post up some more info please!

I need a quote for something in the 30k to 40K range
I think you need to up your budget some. It's pretty easy to go $30k+ with just a basic pool. Going moderately fancy can get you to 6 figures quickly.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM

I don't mean to pee in your proverbial pool, but I have to share a joke/story quick.

My folks go to visit great friends in the telephone industry who own an exchange in Cornelia GA. Both are amazed by the backyard sanctuary with boulder walls and beautiful landscaping surrounding the elaborate pool.

Conversation between my Dad and his longtime friend turned quiet after all the topics of investment, contractors, time and maintenance... not to mention hosting guests of course. Milt turns to my Dad and says, "Bob, do you know the difference between a boat and a pool?"

My Dad plays along instead of citing the obvious and says "What's that?"

Milt says "You can always sell a boat Bob."

In the way of contribution I have little to offer but I recommend the chlorination system where you add salt. My X-Bro-in-law had that and it was really nice. Easy on the eyes and the kids, very simple to administer and much safer to have around in terms of chemical storage.

Regarding storage, prepare well for all the clutter that gets played with in the pool and what is used on the deck area... have a changing gazebo or something thought out. Good Luck!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevoice View Post
I think you need to up your budget some. It's pretty easy to go $30k+ with just a basic pool. Going moderately fancy can get you to 6 figures quickly.
yeah my parents pool was built 15 years ago and ended up at 22k and its a pretty basic pool something like 25' x 12' with a raised spa and in ground cleaning system. deepest point is less that 5 feet!

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Having had a pool or two living in AZ, there will be a bunch of costs that come up like weekly service, keeping it clean, heating the pool or jacuzzi, repairs, special gates for kid proof stuff, etc. Not to sound too negative, they have there plusses but the cost per hour of fun is VERY high.

30-40 K will be an average at best pool. Check references are a must.

Sounds like your in great financial shape, congrats. I suppose you are in good shape because of wise money decisions. You will figure it out.

Buyer beware.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM

One positive out of this economy is that it has weeded out most of the dishonest, unqualified pool builders. A few years ago (when we built ours) everyone was a pool builder and alot of people got ripped off and/or crappy pools. Just like getting a car built, get references, check licenses, complaints ect. There's different levels of quality and the last thing you need is an inferior product sitting in the middle of your backyard! With that said it has been a great investment for our family and weve had alot of good times with it. In fact this Thursday is the 5th annual end of school year swim party at our house!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM

I dont have any experience, or much advice to offer... But hearing what your asking to "get" with the "budget" you've got in mind, seems they are a bit off (atleast compared to what people have got around here).

25-30k is a fairly basic, nothing special pool with standard cleaning systems. Nothing fancy AT ALL.

Not to mention all the weekly/monthly costs to maintain it (all year long)...

personally, I almost feel that "if i have to ask how much its going to be to maintain a pool after paying to have it built, i probably can't afford it". lol thats just my thought process on it anyway.

But certainly do your homework, LOTS of it. Get customers names/info so you can go talk to them.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.