Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 11-24-2008, 06:51 AM

Default Tools used to smooth welds on body panels?!

I was curious as to what tools some of you guys are using to remove the exterior welds on body panels. Im not having very much luck with a die grinder. I didnt know if there were any techniques or what tools some of you use and what grit sand paper and what not. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 AM

I just use a 4.5 inch grinding wheel (24 grit), and a small angle grinder with 80 grit pads.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:39 PM

the trick is to use a rotray grinder, i use an angle grinder... use a grit paper that isnt too fine minimum 80...i use 24 first and touch it over to rough finish with 80-120 , and lay it FLAT on the panel (sparke will fly from the entire perimeter, not just in one direction).... then move the grinder back and forth over the weld and it will be flat before you know it... (if you dont lay it flat on the panel, the weld will not be smooth with the surface !)

smooth the metal with a DA afterwards
Old 11-24-2008, 04:26 PM

Knock the weld itself down with the cutting end of a die grinder, Then use a 60-80 grit saning disc to sand down the panel. Then dress the entire panel with 120 grit to make the panel look uniform.

Rodger
Old 11-30-2008, 05:08 AM

When I bought my Rotozip Revolution kit it came with an angle grinder attachment that has see through disc. You can actually see the welds as you knock them down. It makes it so you don't sand any of the area you don't want to. You can get many different choices of disc but the 80 and 150 are the ones I like the most.The grip is especially comfortable compared to standard angle grinders too !
you can also get the hand held extension that holds everything from grinding tools , cutting tools to polishing tools and with the 5.5 amps of power it has it will outperform any air die grinder I know of and will be easier to hold,quieter and less cost to operate. Compressors cost a lot to operate not to mention not being able to take them anywhere you want to go.

Rotozip constanly changes and upgrades the kits and changes the name of them. So when shopping go by the amps and the best ones come with led lights to see the work along with all of the attachments. I paid $149 when I bought mine and it has been worth every bit of it.