Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Pimp my transmission

Transmission help. Form letter.

Hate to do it. So I've finally come to grips with having to ask for help (x's 3 now).
I don't like it BUT...the alternative is experimenting with expensive components. Too much money.
I'll try to make this as short as possible to prevent any attention span issues. I had this posted somewhere else (deja vu) but may have painted TOO broad of a picture. I'm looking for suggestions for a transmission to fit my style. (something like a leather running shoe...haha j/k)
Keep in mind I'm new at classic American iron (sue me, lol) but not new to cars.
Feel free to dumb it down as much as you feel needed, I'll speak up if you're making me feel TOO dumb.

The car (65 Chevelle) runs a TH350 as of now. Uninspiring to say the least. Reminds me of an old truck the way it shifts.

Where I want to be: 90% Sporty Cruiser, 12's or better , 450-550hp for arguments sake.

Considered Bowler and TCI for programmability...$$$ 4l60e,4l65e,4l803, etc., who knows...

12 bolt soon to come in place of 10 bolt. Considered Currie or Moser, but not sure about gears.

What transmission and Why and from who? I really need an explanation here. Opinions are fine but mostly facts to improve my knowledge about what I'm doing.

If I AM able to run an electronic transmission with the 327, will I be able to utilitze electric gauges. I hate the bouncy mechanical gauges.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 PM

It sounds like you want something with overdrive. The cheapest way to do that without really pinching pennies is to go with a 700r4. The 4L60 is a computer controlled 700r4 basically. The computer controlled stuff is great except for the fact that it can get pricey depending on what level ya take it to. I would think that a 4L80 is overkill for a small block. I guess what it comes down to is the Drag racing thing. If you want a fun cruiser the hauls the mail, I'd stay with the 10bolt and upgrade it and put your money into a better trans. If your gonna be launching the car at the strip on slicks then you can build the th350 or move up to a th400 and upgrade to a 12 bolt or a 9". Decision time pal. Almost forgot, gears, if you go with an overdrive trans, then I'd go with 3:73 gears, if you stick with a 3-speed, look for something lower if you wanna have some kind of fuel mileage. Oh, and you can run a electric trans with the 327. Hope I helped some.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM

Every little bit helps when you're learning. The BIG decision has already been made really. Street cruiser that can MOVE. I do to tailor the trans to my needs and driving style, although I need to figure out how soon I want to spring for it. Driving to any event around DFW usually means it's gonna be in or around the north side of Dallas (45 min. or more) and the ol Velle don't sound like it likes highway too much.

My main thing was trying to figure out if I could have an electric trans now AND when it's LSx time and what issues I needed to address now in the planning stage.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Pasd

A couple of things to consider. I have 700r4's in both my cars - the Nomad makes 486 ft pounds of torque at the rear wheels. Running a Currie 9" Ford with 3:73's...

I'm using a BowTie Overdrives Stage III in that car. This thing shifts firm without snapping your neck on up or downshifts... but stomp the loud pedal and it shifts in a big fat hurry! I love it. I'm running a hi tech converter from them that is a hibred they offer. It's 2800 stall I think... that allows the engine to idle without a load and spin up just a bit to move the car.

When I was at the plant (BTO) I asked about the electronic trans - and they said basically "why" -- the 700r4 is the same thing without the electronics - for half the money. They're right. It works great and the only thing that's important is the set up of the TV cable -- and there is plenty of info out there to help with that. It's not rocket science.

Don't go with the 4L80 etc --- those trannys eat lots of HP to run them... again there is info on the web somewhere if you search - for the tech specs and the comparisons of the HP used up by the various transmissions. TH400 uses WAY more than a TH350 -- and with a 327 -- you're not going to want that big of a trans. You might also want to check in on the 200r4.... cheaper and can be bought to handle way more HP than you're going to make.

You'll also want to consider - the total - or actual - gear ratio / tire size / tranny gear ratios to get your cruise RPM's etc. There are calculators on the web that will do comparisons for you... Search Smoke em Up . com -- for automotive math. It's amazing what tire size does to your RPMS/cruise speed!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM

I would just do a built 700R4. It will work now and set up the LS motor as it has a std trans and it will work fine without electronics.

I don't have personal experience with them but I have heard good things about Phoenix Transmissions south of us and there is a guy in Ft Worth area Jake Shoe has a small shop and does a lot of performance overdrives.

For gear I would do 3.42's with a 700r4 in a street cruiser

Richard J.
If only I had the time talent and money to build everything in my head
Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

The 700r4 has an adaptor that goes into the speedo cable spot - that converts to a pulse signal - that runs "electronic" (no cable - no bounce) speedo gauge. That depends on what gauge you're using so you'd have to check with the gauge manufacturer.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:46 PM

I have heard of Jake Shoe. Will probably get my butt out there one of these days or at least give a call. I did lots of research online and compared some notes in magazines as well as what V8TV was doing but with a limited knowledge of the topic I was just spinning my wheels so I finally decided to post up. I do enjoy driving the car right now but after being spoiled by my DD for so long, I wanted to get it closer to what I know and like. I appreciate the help too guys. I'm getting a well rounded mix of answers and for the most part that helps me narrow all this down to what I REALLY want.