Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM

Default 700r4 and 9inch rear (what u joints)

I just installed a 700r4 with a 9inch rear into my 70 nova. the drive shaft u joints is where my issues are being created. the factory drive shaft is to long by about three inches. so i went to a friends yard and found a drive shaft that would fit the 700r4 and be 3 inches shorter than my factory one. the u joint on the new drive shaft is two long to fit into the 9inch housing. meaning the ridges on the inside where the u joint rest will not allow the u joint to fit. looking at my factory u joint it is much smaller than the new u joint from the new drive shaft. So the end caps on the new drive shaft along with the body of the new u joint are two big. can any one suggest a u joint with a small body and big end caps?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Okay here we go....

You're going to have to do a bit of investigative research here... There are MANY MANY MANY U-joints... Nobody can answer what you have if you don't know certain measurements. Nobody can guess this info.

You're going to have to have some MEASUREMENTS for what you have...

Like:

How many splines are on your 700r4 tail shaft...

This trans takes a slip yoke... The yoke itself needs to match up with whatever end you choose for your driveline. In other words - you might choose a 1350 U joint - with a 30 spline slip joint (this count needs to match the tail shaft). This slip joint can be bought in various lengths.

NEXT:

You're going to have to identify the pinion yoke on your rear end. There are various sizes here - easily identifiable by SIZE. Size being the diameter of the cap - and the width of the saddle... it could be a 1310 or a 1350 or a ??

NEXT:

With the car resting on jack stands placed under the rear axle... you only want 3/4" of an inch of the slip joint "exposed" (that would be the machined surface). Too long and it can kill your tail shaft bearings and give you a nasty vibration etc. The tail shaft inside the trans - already has a length that is "unsupported".

NOW -- there are MANY drive line sources on the internet. Start with DENNY'S DRIVESHAFTS http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/index.html --they have TONS of info about u-joints - and the way to measure your drive shaft length etc. There's also a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section detailing the difference in yoke sizes as mentioned eartlier. I've just given you a little FOOD FOR THOUGHT with my info.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:58 PM

Yeah I figured it out this am. It's a 1310 to 1330 conversion u joint i needed!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:59 PM

thanks so much for your help though!