Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 PM

Default 90's Viper T56 in a Firebird

I've got the chance to buy a used T56 from a 90's Viper for $950. Is this a good deal? Can I use this in my 67 Firebird (400 motor). Anything in particular I should look for? Power holding potential? I can get the casting numbers if that helps.
Thanks

*Edit* I've been trying to research more info without much luck. I know that the input shaft would need replacing for an LS motor, but am having a hard time finding out what I would need to mate this to a Pontiac 400. I have found crossmember stuff, but no bellhousing or adapter plate info. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks again.

Last edited by 67rstbkt; 10-30-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:47 AM

Default Viper trans

1. Weir Hotrods, Lakewood, McCleoud, and I believe Qicktime make a BH that will adapt that, once you make the input shaft change or modification. I'd reccomend buying the shaft so that the heat treat is left intact.

2. You'll also have to adapt your driveshaft to the Viper's 30 spline output shaft, but that's easy.

3. You'll also need the Viper slave, then use the quick-connect from a std LS trans. Pop the roll pin out of the LS slave & put it in the Viper slave.

You might have to do some hammer work to get the shifter through, but that should be the least of your worries.

What other parts are you getting with the deal? What type of speedo are you going to try to run?

Last edited by ohcbird; 11-01-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcbird View Post
1. Weir Hotrods, Lakewood, McCleoud, and I believe Qicktime make a BH that will adapt that, once you make the input shaft change or modification. I'd reccomend buying the shaft so that the heat treat is left intact.

2. You'll also have to adapt your driveshaft to the Viper's 30 spline output shaft, but that's easy.

3. You'll also need the Viper slave, then use the quick-connect from a std LS trans. Pop the roll pin out of the LS slave & put it in the Viper slave.

You might have to do some hammer work to get the shifter through, but that should be the least of your worries.

What other parts are you getting with the deal? What type of speedo are you going to try to run?

Thanks for all the info. My car is in the restructuring phase, so shifter relocation is not an issue. I picked up the trans. today (got it for much less than the asking price ). It came with the bellhousing and clutch slave (I think) - It's mounted with two bolts to the front of the trans, over the input shaft. Also came with the shifter stuff up top. I'd like to figure out what year it came out of but have not been able to decode the numbers yet. Here are some pics....
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2009, 01:09 AM

Default V T56

That clutch slave is the one that needs to be changed out for the GM piece.

You need to make sure whatever you do with the input shaft, make sure the bellhousing is setup to match.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcbird View Post
That clutch slave is the one that needs to be changed out for the GM piece.

You need to make sure whatever you do with the input shaft, make sure the bellhousing is setup to match.
Thanks; Based on the information I have found so far, I believe that McCleod may have a bellhousing and spacer setup which would allow me to bolt this to my motor and retain the existing input shaft. I just need to confirm.