Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Tobin, thanks for clarifying what exactly a stepped bore unit was, the terminology for all of this stuff often alludes me, which makes me sound like a bit of a moron at times.

While it's a bit off topic, I figure I should ask before I forget. Is the SET20 what is shipping with Moser's axles now, and can I just press one onto the 9" setup that I've got or do I have to have the ends cut, and all of that good stuff?

Matt
Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MSA View Post
Tobin, thanks for clarifying what exactly a stepped bore unit was, the terminology for all of this stuff often alludes me, which makes me sound like a bit of a moron at times.

While it's a bit off topic, I figure I should ask before I forget. Is the SET20 what is shipping with Moser's axles now, and can I just press one onto the 9" setup that I've got or do I have to have the ends cut, and all of that good stuff?

Matt
I wish it were that simple...but it's not.

Working from memory here, but the ID of the SET20 is larger at 1.5625" versus 1.5312" for the OE Ford "big-bearing" application. There are larger ID versions of the ball bearings as noted below though. Another thing to keep in mind is that the widths are different as well between the tapered roller and ball bearings, so pressumably the axles are cut differently with repect to the offset dimension. Alternately, some axle manufacturers will cut the axles for the shortest offset dimension and install spacer sleeves between the bearing and shoulder of the axle to set the offset.

Moser seems to standardize on their 80mm ball-bearing unless you specifically request the SET20's. I don't know which bearing they default to, however it seems to be the #9508T or H since most that I've come across have the o-ring in the outer race. FWIW, the three different ball bearings Moser seems to offer are their #9508M, #9508T and #9508H.

Tobin
KORE3
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 PM

what is steve doing with bad penny since i cant recall him having the issues others are? he's running a rear that was set up by currie and im pretty sure the set20 bearings that they put in mine.

todd, how was the knockback with the new tires?

and once again, tobin blows my mind with his vast knowledge. i just sit and smile when i talk to him on the phone as all of technical stuff blows over my head.
Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels ; Kore3 ; SC&C
Build Thread : https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=widowmaker