Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Banned

Look I don't want to turn this into an argument, but theres just a few things that raised some flags. All I'm saying is that I (as in my opinion) would talk/do some more research before calling it a plan, however I'm the type to triple check most of my decisions. I don't expect you to listen to me %100 but that maybe I would raise some points that would maybe get you to think about it. I'm not saying there is a right or wrong, just that it is a modification worth looking into before making any decisions

The more I read into these the more I keep seeing more advice that is for it. I do distinctly remember people like David Pozzi and such saying that it was not necessary/ and can be very tricky to get right and not have any downsides. From what it sounds like, you could use one just to keep your tires from rubbing. I don't think that it will be so signifigant that it will really be all that much of an upgrade besides the tire rubbing issue. I have my tires pretty far out and didn't have any rubbing issues with my del-a-lums in hard turns for the short time I drove my car. But obviously everyones is different.

You have global west leaves, slide-allinks- and soon to be Watts link. Sounds a little overcomplicated and from the surface appears you are just throwing a lot of parts at it hoping to get something better than a leafspring suspension. You seem pretty set in your ways and already have all the answers so I hope it works out for you If you decide to pull the trigger, please report back it may be a good solution to a problem that some people might be having

Last edited by fatlife; 11-05-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:20 AM

Don't worry, I'm not here to argue. It's counter productive. I fully understand what you are saying, and of course I will be asking the people involved in the car, their advice as well. They said for me to look at these options, and they do build very fast cars and top notch cars so I will listen to them. They did say that a good setup watts link is a good idea, so I will run this system by them, but the trans am racers that I have talked to (2 of them) said that this is the best fix for my problem, but it has nothing to do with tire rubbing, well not really, but it has to do with keeping the tires planted firmly on the ground. If we were setting up a first gen rx-7 I might be set in my ways, but this is an entirely different car, so I need the advice. That's why I asked. I can tell by set of the pants driving what my cars need, and set them up to my driving style. No harm no foul. This is not a money issue.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Banned

well thats all good, if CARS says to use it I would trust them(although were they the ones that set you up with that fatman frame??) I'm a little dissapointed though that people are too busy talking about Sema and aren't posting anything in the tech forums. I can admit I don't know enough to say whether it will work or not, but i have seen enough posts that would make me question it. And hey, I didn't think you wanted to argue so its all good , just knowing myself I didn't want to start one!
Old 11-05-2006, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlife
well thats all good, if CARS says to use it I would trust them(although were they the ones that set you up with that fatman frame??) I'm a little dissapointed though that people are too busy talking about Sema and aren't posting anything in the tech forums. I can admit I don't know enough to say whether it will work or not, but i have seen enough posts that would make me question it. And hey, I didn't think you wanted to argue so its all good , just knowing myself I didn't want to start one!
CAR is a good shop. Matt from matt's bowties suggested the frame. Everyone else hated the frame, but at the time, new to the hobby I didn't know any better about it, but time was not on my side, and if I knew now I would have went for CAR's subframe. Oh well. We will make the best of it. Gearhead really hated it because they were building it.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Banned

yeah, I've never heard anything but good things about CARS, matt at bowtie classics is sorta a streetrod type of guy. I'm not suprised he recommended that frame, he probably got a good percentage out of it. All the fatman stuff I have ran across is for looks not performance, but I'm sure you can make it work, its a done deal and I wouldn't worry about it too much. Its hard to get good advice, except for here of course.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:41 PM

tell us how everything turns out once they are done with it. when do you think it will be done?

Last edited by 68protouring454; 11-05-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:33 PM

Yeah Ill let you guys know. It should be done in December. By then I'm sure Ill have other changes
Old 11-17-2006, 09:29 PM

Well we tried to fit the Watts link in today. It's a big time no go. Poor design, was not built for an Aluminum rear carrier on the rear of the 12 bolt. Anyone have any other ideas of a better watts link or a Panhard bar?