Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 AM

I don't pretend to be a suspension expert but here is what I have read on the last gen nova as it compares to the 77-81 Camaro:

The front suspension is the same in regards to A-arms, spindles, brakes, and maybe front swaybar, but I don't think the actual subframes are the same. I have been told (but have not verified) that the subs are different lengths and different widths. I sure would like to be wrong about this, because I think it's more likely that we will see an aftermarket subframe for the Camaro before we will the Nova for this time period.

I have read that the rear "frames", if they can be called that, are also different between the Camaros and Novas of this vintage. Maybe the Camaro is more narrow, or maybe its the Nova, I can't remember which is which. I don't think the rear ends are a direct swap because the widths are different. Again, haven't verified this - just what I've read on the 'net and some other publications.

I will say this in regards to the Nova's underpinnings - the floorpans for the 75-79 cars is really, really similar to the third generation (68-74) Nova. I have used the same molded carpet out of a 68-74 Nova for my 77, and it fit perfectly. I would also point out that the Hotrods to Hell rear suspension kit that we used on this car was actually engineered for the 68-74 cars. Following HRTH's instructions, this kit installed almost exactly the same, and almost all measurements for the 68-74 car were dead on perfect with my measurements on the '77. Although this may not equate to an "exact" match, I think in most cases you can probably do some interchanging of parts with little or no problems.

Some of this is still voodoo science, but it does appear that many of these parts will match up. I just think the aftermarket is not comfortable making that claim unless they've personally tried them on one of their test mules. Probably a good position for them to take - I imagine they catch a lot of flak if they claim a part fits and then finds out that it doesn't.

Anyway I'm always happy to see when stuff fits, even if I have to make it fit with some "persuasion". Us fourth gen Nova guys know we're in the minority, so we'll take our parts any way we can get them.

J
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Have you seen http://www.fatmanfab.com/catalogpage.php?page=27
I have a magazine with there add in it and it says that front clip that will fit the 4th gen novas you can email them and ask.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info. This may be a good tip for others.

I'm actually not in the market for a new front clip. I already have tubular A-arms and QA1 adjustable coilovers, so I'm pretty comfortable with where my front suspension is at this time.

I think a narrowed front clip would be of particular interest to 4th Gen Nova guys, because I think the front track width is too wide. I have 18X8s on the front (4.5" B.S.), and even with 1" narrowed A-arms it's still a bit snug on the tires/fenders.

Like I said, I'm not in the market right now, but some others may be, so thanks for putting that out there.

Jason
Old 04-28-2008, 09:31 AM

welcome jason,
here is a pic from my wifes 1977 Olds Omega, its the same family

greets from Sweden
Klaus
Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 PM

Indeed!!!

Man I thought my car was hard to find parts for. It's a good thing your wife's car is already hooked up - I'd hate to rely on the aftermarket for almost anything on the Olds.

I spend a great deal of time complaining and moaning about how bad the aftermarket treats the fourth gen Nova guys, but I would bet that almost every oldsmobile fan has got a bigger claim than me.

There you have it, the epitome of "dare to be different".

Thanks for sharing that one.

Jason
Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 PM

No problem thats what we are here for to help each other out.The Buick Skylark thats a x body is probably as hard to find parts for too.