Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 02-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Default wheel choices in 20" X 15" for Pro street project

On my 68' drag car that is being built into a more modern non-ls pro street
style car that will more spend time at the strip and very little street time.. I love the look of some of the Fesler built rides with the large 20's in the back. My car is currently at David Mondays's Race Cars in Knoxville for complete backhalf, custom cage, 4 link, etc.. He needs them to properly size my tubs..
What are my choices?? Any opinions or suggestions?? I currently have a set of 17" Boze flex 5 hi-polish on my 67' and set of CCW classic's with brushed center and polished lip on my 79 t/a so I do appreciate high quality and don't mind paying for it either
79' TransAm- 540/763hp, Dave Monday custom built chasis,pump gas-10.2:1, LSM,CFS,Callies,AFR
80' Z/28- all original, black w/ red stripes, 2nd owner, loaded, all paperwork - excellent driver
Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 AM

Well if you like those wheel companies I believe they both can make what you need.

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 02-15-2009, 08:48 AM

We use 20x15's on most of our projects. Most companies will widen 2pc hoops for you and most 3pc wheel companies make 15" wide halfs.
So, basically all you need to do is find a wheel you like that fits in your budget.
Also, you may want to reconsider using a 20" wheel for a car that will "spend time at the strip and very little street time". The sidewall will be stiffer and the compond will naturally be less aggressive than a drag radial type tire.
But thats my opinion. Here are some of our 20x15 project cars:

Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

We've got what you need and can make them in any of our styles. Here's a set of 20x15" Fuels we made for Kenny Davis.
Call or drop a line anytime for a quote or questions.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the input...
The CCW's only go to 13" per John and yes Boze can do 15".
Jay, I really like the Livewires, how long to make a set for the rear only??
Steve, I love the look of your projects, very aggresive.. As far as the Drag tires... Can I go both ways?? I currenlty have a set of 15" x 15" with slicks
for the strip.. Hopefully this will work as long as I watch what size rear disc setup for my brakes
79' TransAm- 540/763hp, Dave Monday custom built chasis,pump gas-10.2:1, LSM,CFS,Callies,AFR
80' Z/28- all original, black w/ red stripes, 2nd owner, loaded, all paperwork - excellent driver
Old 02-15-2009, 08:30 PM

Exactly. As long as you watch the brake rotor and caliper size, you could be able to run a 15" diameter. Most of our pro-street / touring hybrids run a 12.19 dynalite rotor front and back. They normally run a 26" diameter front tire and a massive 31-33" diameter rear. Being that the brake rotors are the same diamter but the rotating mass of each (front and rear) tire is different, it eliminates the need for a proportioning valve. The 12.19 rotor up front is stopping a 26" tire where the rear 12.19 rotor is stopping a much larger 33" tire. Natually there will be more stopping force on the front.
BUT.... you may encounter that some 15" wheels may not clear the 12.19's calipers. That will need more looking into.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

[QUOTE=gateman;195853] Jay, I really like the Livewires, how long to make a set for the rear only??
QUOTE]

Thanks Mark. We can have a set on your door in 4 weeks.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateman View Post
On my 68' drag car that is being built into a more modern non-ls pro street
style car that will more spend time at the strip and very little street time.. I love the look of some of the Fesler built rides with the large 20's in the back. My car is currently at David Mondays's Race Cars in Knoxville for complete backhalf, custom cage, 4 link, etc.. He needs them to properly size my tubs..
What are my choices?? Any opinions or suggestions?? I currently have a set of 17" Boze flex 5 hi-polish on my 67' and set of CCW classic's with brushed center and polished lip on my 79 t/a so I do appreciate high quality and don't mind paying for it either
Mark,

Let me know what wheel you like and I can let you know if we can do that one in a 15 for you. We have a lot of options and can get you a set in 7 days if you are in a hurry for a small rush fee. I think you may have called us if not sorry, but if you did I have been in and out of town and have time to talk tomorrow. Let me know

Chris
Old 02-22-2009, 01:08 PM

another option is having a set widened. ERIC VOHN in california will machine and weld them up. although if he tells you it will take a month triple it he is very busy.
my name is Eric Hokenson I have a dream of building ten of the coolest hot rods out of my home shop wish me luck I am going to need it! - more pics on my web site www.erodzcustoms.com this is just for fun and i am NOT looking for any more work!
Thank you supporting sponsors! without you guys there is no way I could do this myself !
Modern automotive performance,Ring bros.,Yank convertors,extreme drive systems,Cj tunes,race coatings stainless works,Modern Automotive Performance.all of these shops have the experience to get your car to the top.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Hi Mark, I will field that question for Jason. The Rushforth line is running right at 4 weeks right now. Give us a call or shot us a PM and we will be happy to get them on order for you.
Tim[QUOTE=JayR;195878]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateman View Post
Jay, I really like the Livewires, how long to make a set for the rear only??
QUOTE]

Thanks Mark. We can have a set on your door in 4 weeks.