Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 10-13-2009, 12:19 AM

Default C5 Torque Tube

Could any one recommend a company that can lengthen a Corvette C5 torque tube.

Cheers Tim
Old 10-13-2009, 10:10 AM

Default It's tough

Hi Tim,

I have checked around and there are very few shops that want to mess with the C5/6 vette driveshafts. It's made of an Aluminum Metal Matrix Composite material. That requires a special welding process to fuse it with the proper strength. The shops that have said they could shorten them - either weren't aware it was AMMC material, or they didn't have the balancing setup required to balance the deal properly.

You'll run into the same deal above - plus you're up against lengthening it which could get you into a harmonic failure mode. So I would recommend against attempting to lengthen a stock unit unless you can find a shop that really knows what they are dealing with.

I'd replace it with the correct length with a new unit. I know of 2 manufactures. 1st is www.driveshaftshop.com They custom make the ends and tube outta 6061-T6 aluminum (not AMMC). The 2nd is outta composite material from LG Motorsports. www.lgmotorsports.com A couple other builders here have used this product to extend the driveshaft so they might jump in and tell you about there experience.

Good luck !! Jim

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=5109
Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 AM

PS, The external tube that connects the bell housing end to the transmission bell is easy. A machine shop can cut the tube and machine out the weld and remaining tube stub. Then just add in the correct length of 5 inch 6061 - index it correctly - tack - and then alum tig the entire seam up.

Check with Rodger from Ironworks here on the site as he can reference a machine shop that did the work for 3 of his builds.

Jim

Old 10-13-2009, 11:12 AM

Thanks again Jim, I have ordered one from the driveshaftshop, $1000 plus freight. I have asked Gus from pick a part in Cleveland to add an exta torque tube to my order. I will get one of the local shops to modify it

Cheers Tim

P.S Measured the cradles for the C5 exact fit at the front and 3 inches narrower at the rear rails, very simple to mount to the chassis, no cutting needed.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Slight change Mike from SRIII frames has emailed, the Lenghtened torque tube with a carbon fibre shaft is $1300, I will go with this option and let the Forum no how it goes.

Cheers Tim
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomo5150 View Post

P.S Measured the cradles for the C5 exact fit at the front and 3 inches narrower at the rear rails, very simple to mount to the chassis, no cutting needed.
Great news and congrats ! Don't forget to start a build thread with plenty of pictures so we can follow along as you go.

Good luck !

Jim

Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Dog 65 View Post
PS, The external tube that connects the bell housing end to the transmission bell is easy. A machine shop can cut the tube and machine out the weld and remaining tube stub. Then just add in the correct length of 5 inch 6061 - index it correctly - tack - and then alum tig the entire seam up.

Check with Rodger from Ironworks here on the site as he can reference a machine shop that did the work for 3 of his builds.

Jim
We do all our own in house. We have an indexing Jig and do them on a regualr basis.

If your lengthening the torque tube you have to use a carbon shaft. Anything else with whip at a high RPM. Aluminum was very close to out of spec at stock length.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:20 PM

Thanks Roger I have gone with the Carbon Fibre shaft. Now its a long wait while all the parts are shipped to Australia.

Cheers Tim
Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=ironworks;240868]We do all our own in house. We have an indexing Jig and do them on a regualr basis. QUOTE]

I should have known .....

Thx