Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 AM

Default Big Brakes with dust seals

Hey everyone, I am after some advice on Rear Brakes for my 1965 Ford Falcon.
I am running a Fabricated big bearing Ford 9".

My criteria:

Dust Seals (for registration purposes in Australia, brake calipers MUST have dust seals on the pistons).

Hand Brake Compatible

Big and Flashy!!!!!

Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 AM

What housing ends are you running? Old style or new "Torino" style big-bearing? Do you have any budgetary restrictions? C6 Z06 Corvette rears with an internal parking brake match your "big and flashy" requirements and are great brakes for the money IMHO...check out Scott Gulbranson's (Admin) 1969 Camaro, it's an amazing car. Big brakes will require wheels to match, so please post up if you know what wheels you intend to run or if you already have them.

Here's a link to the kit on our website. Wheel fitment templates are available from our Tech page here.

The heaviest part of any brake kit are the rotors, however we can drop ship rotors direct from DBA in Australia to our customers down under. Saves a ton on shipping and import fees and you end up with much better than OE C6 Z06 rotors in the end. Let us know if you have any questions or would like to discuss your application further.

Tobin
KORE3
Old 01-18-2010, 03:56 PM

Thanks for that info Tobin, that is a killer Brake package
The diff is being made at the moment and i opted for old style big bearing, im not sure whether "torino" style big bearing is really an option in Aus (no idea what car would of come with it???)
I have already got the wheels, the only prob is they are 18x9 and i see that this kit will not fit all 18" wheels.
I will have a look at the template and talk to the diff builder and ill get back to you but i am really interested in this kit.
Great info, thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM

The "Torino" style of Ford big-bearing housing end originated in the early 70's on the Ford Gran Torino application to best of my knowledge, however was used on several applications after that as well and has more or less become the modern aftermarket standard. It basically uses the same 80mm [3.15"] diameter bearings as the old style housing, but has a different bolt pattern and brake offset dimension of 2.00 x 3.56 x 2.50 offset with 3/8" retainer hardware. FYI, we don't offer parking brake kits for the old style housing ends at this time, so that should be taken into consideration since your housing is currently under construction in case you want to make any changes before it's too late.

You have two basic bearing options with 28/31/35-spline axles. The first of the two big-bearing options are either the lubed-for-life sealed ball-bearing (Timken/National #514003, SKF#88128RB) usually run in conjuction with an oil seal inside the axle tube. The second is the SET20 tapered roller bearing with an integral external oil seal that is part of the bearing assembly and must be installed during bearing installation on the axles. Replacing the external SET 20 oil seals requires removing the bearing from the axle in question. While both bearings are usually more than adequate for a normal street application, the SET20's are definitely a better choice for severe-duty applications due to their higher load ratings, lower axial end play and flooded lubrication method.

Nice wheels...check those templates. The C6 Z06 calipers are very wide and the rotors are relatively shallow, so they overhang the wheel mounting surface by a signifant amount. Optimally, you'd select your brakes first, wheels second to fit the brakes, and then build the housing to fit those components and the overall width needed for your application.

Tobin
KORE3
Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM

We are doing a few Baer kits for Australian customers.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Interesting thread, I have the same criteria as xpsled for dust seals, but for application to the front of a 68 camaro with original disc brake spindles. I'm running Boyd coddington 18"x8 up front, and would ideally like a kit that doesn't increase the track width. I already have some clearance issues and don't want the front wheels to move out any further.

I have the twin piston PBR calipers, with a 328mm rotor (C5/6 equivalent) on my HSV clubsport and can't complain with how it pulls up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apogee
The heaviest part of any brake kit are the rotors, however we can drop ship rotors direct from DBA in Australia to our customers down under. Saves a ton on shipping and import fees and you end up with much better than OE C6 Z06 rotors in the end. Let us know if you have any questions or would like to discuss your application further.
I've enquired about a price to have the CPP kit listed in the following ebay auction shipped to me, but also am expecting freight to be a killer. I'm interested in a price for a setup similiar to the below link, or a pair of decent baer rotors/calipers for the front if you can supply.

Ebay CPP kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...Q5fAccessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms
We are doing a few Baer kits for Australian customers.
Also interested in what have you got to offer as per above?

Fuel prices suck!

Last edited by *rayman*; 01-18-2010 at 07:51 PM.