Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 PM

Default 3 piece wheels question

I need to put some 3 piece wheels back together. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
What kind of silicone (or whatever it is) do I use?
How long do I wait before mounting etc.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM

We always used the GE. Have found that the better the silicone, the better the results. I would give the silicone about 5-7 minutes, then start snug the bolts down in a star pattern and plan on about three steps (don't torque all the way down in one step). The bolt size will determine the final torque setting but most 3 piece end up about 24-27 ft lbs. Smooth out any pushed out silicone in the tire area and let sit about 24 hours.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jordan View Post
We always used the GE. Have found that the better the silicone, the better the results. I would give the silicone about 5-7 minutes, then start snug the bolts down in a star pattern and plan on about three steps (don't torque all the way down in one step). The bolt size will determine the final torque setting but most 3 piece end up about 24-27 ft lbs. Smooth out any pushed out silicone in the tire area and let sit about 24 hours.
Perfect, thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Supporting Member

If you ever plan on taking the wheels apart, do not put silicone on mating surface of inner and outer barrels.You'll know why if you ever try to attempt to take them apart.

Assemble and torque the wheels to specs(usually between 28-35 lbs depending on hardware),then lay a bead of silicone on the seam between barrels, usually it's a good idea to wait about 12 hours and allow for silicone to harden,never install tires right after assembly with wet silicone,because you'll end up with leaks

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 08-27-2010, 03:32 PM

I always found that a small amount of silicone between the flanges helped close up any voids/gaps between the 2 mating surfaces. Any extra got pushed out as you bolted them together. Add extra to the part line after bolting and smooth out before it sets up, THEN let it dry thoroughly before installing your tires (not just flash on the surface.) Don't overtorque your fasteners as it will coin the bolt holes on the thinner race-type rim halves, look up the bolt size you are working with and tighten like you would a head bolt.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:40 PM

Even after cutting away as much silicone as I could I never had a 2 piece rim just come apart after unbolting. Seems like they all took a little help with a sharp box knife at the part line before they would come apart, which is good.