Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko124 View Post
Got a note from Tony @ Hurst Drivelines saying that they are working out the numbers for the group buy...so just a little longer!
sounds interesting!

1968 GTO - SC&C's suspension
1967 911 - a few modifications
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaull View Post
If I have a center console (as seen below) with the 4-gauge pod, will this console still be able to be used after I swap in the T56 Magnum? Or will the new trans and tunnel modifications move the shifter back too far?

Yes, but it won't be plug and play. The center strut of the console will probably may need to be removed/relocated and the belt buckle cup will need to be shortened. If you try for a 1/2" of clearance from the shifter plate to console you'll need to fab a cover plate approximately 5" x 10" x 3/4". These cars dimensions can vary quite a bit for numerous reasons.

The number one rule is driveline/pinion angles need to be correct. Stance and subframe bushings all play a role. Stock ride height has the best chance of no tunnel cut mods, 2" lower just about guarantees a tunnel cut.

My car is looking like it will need an extra 1" - 1.25" of tunnel height
Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 AM

Scott's price is fair and they deliver as promised. Jim has been readily available for tech support. I confirmed details last week on Monday and had the kit that Thursday (West Coast). The price is very fair considering the service and support IMO.
Since I have a lowered car it means modding the tunnel height, if they'd just sent a tunnel monkey with the kit I'd probably be up and running.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM

To those that are looking at just the trans, has anyone got any feedback from Hurst on pricing/discounts?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrDun71 View Post
To those that are looking at just the trans, has anyone got any feedback from Hurst on pricing/discounts?
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Hurst like so many other Tremec resellers are not giving discounts on Maggies nor TKO 600s from what I can tell. I have been told multiple times by various resellers that they are contractually bound to sell them at the stated prices (i.e. 2795 and 2150 respectively) and there is not much margin in them. My take is that it's prob true but really chaps me that Tremec is engaged in price fixing and removes any element of competition in the markletplace. At the same time, it's their product and in high demand so I must take it for what it is...

Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM

I spoke with Scott yesterday and got the same story. You have to buy the kits specified. No flexibility there.

I will add though that regardless Hurst still has the best prices on Trans, QT bellhousing and even their crossmember is about the least expensive one you will find. So I was sorta bummed but I'll probably still go with them. My only thing now is shipping time from the west coast and I'm also probably gonna go with the Speedtech/ATS crossmember since it has the removable center section.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Im torn on what to do... I want the stronger T56, but all these tunnel mods, etc are kinda worrying me. Is it that big of a deal? I have a good friend who has a reputable shop here, and he is going to be doing the install. Assuming I get the Elite kit (converting from a 700R4) and all supporting parts from Hurst Drivelines, should it be fairly straight forward? Or would it be easier to just go with the TKO?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM

In the big picture the tunnel mods aren't a huge issue vs. the performance and enjoyment of the T56 vs. your other transmission options.

I'm right in the middle of my install, no regretes. Lot's of head scratching, calculating and up and down on the tranny jack but that's part of the fun with the project.

Here's where I'm at in the "challenge."

Engine/trans are sitting at 2.5* with new subframe bushings in this pic.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
In the big picture the tunnel mods aren't a huge issue vs. the performance and enjoyment of the T56 vs. your other transmission options.

I'm right in the middle of my install, no regretes. Lot's of head scratching, calculating and up and down on the tranny jack but that's part of the fun with the project.

Here's where I'm at in the "challenge."

Engine/trans are sitting at 2.5* with new subframe bushings in this pic.
Damn Scott, you don't waste any time. I'm expecting mine tomorrow.

The difference between truth & fiction: fiction has to make sense.

Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31963
Closed Thread